ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Frozen Blackworms and your Discus

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Frozen Blackworms and your Discus

My Ph is 7.8 and Hardness is about 160 ppm.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Very seldom do I ever post on a thread that is about the pros and cons or the good
    and bad of Blackworms. I'm a firm believer of going with what your comfortable with.
    We don't push them, as a family business we do try to offer the best product and service we possibly can.
    Ultimately the Hobbyists and end users are who decide wether we stay in business or not. All based on their experiences with our product or our service. All Forums have a lot of old and new Hobbyist/Members. They come and go also.

Briefly about what we do, numbers wise. To give an idea of how many lbs the USA consumed this past year. Remember there are only two of us in the country, we're both close to each other in volume. Take what I do and double that. We've been doing this for maybe 25-28 years now. I ship a low of 1200 to a high of 1600 lbs a week, have done this for years. So apx 70,000 lbs in 2010. Double that with the two Farms.
    If they were deadly we would have wiped out a lot of the tropical fish in this country.
    Its just another way to look at it.

Below is a partial list of Aquariums & Zoos, State & USFW Hatcheries and Universities that we shipped to this past year. Not to mention major Drug Companies that I can't name or the Live that I ship to Malaysia and Europe. Not to diminish our Hobby investments, the list below have 100's of thousands of $$ if not millions invested in their projects, research and who knows what, that Blackworms have some small part of.
    Their comfortable enough to use Live Blackworms.

Sorry for the long post and everyone try to have a great 2012.
    thanks from all of us.

Dan, Jennifer, Amanda, Elaine and the Farm Crew

Albuquerque Aquarium
    Audubon Aquarium of the Americas
    Chicago Zoological Society/Brookfield Zoo
    Cincinnati Zoo
    Cleveland Metro parks Zoo
    Columbus Zoo and Aquarium
    Fort Wayne Zoological Society
    Fort Worth Zoo
    Georgia Aquarium
    Jacksonville Zoological Society, Inc.
    Maryland Zoo in Baltimore
    Monterey Bay Aquarium
    NC Aquarium Roanoke Island
    Oklahoma City Zoo
    Philadelphia Zoo
    Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG AQ.
    Riverbank Zoo & Garden
    Saint Louis Zoo
    San Antonio Zoo
    Sedgwick County Zoo
    Tennessee Aquarium
    Virginia Marine Science Museum

US Army Corps of Engineers
    USFW Willow Beach
    USFW Greers Ferry NFH
    USFW Mammoth Spring
    USFW National Conservation Training Center
    USFW San Marcos
    USFW Warm Springs Hatchery
    Uvalde Fish Hatchery
    Alabama Aquatic Bio diversity
    California Dept. of Fish and Game
    Chattahoochee NFH
    Colorado Division of Wildlife
    Conservation Fisheries Inc
    David White/USGS
    Dexter National Fish Hatchery
    Edenton National Fish Hatchery
    Hancock Biological Station
    Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife
    Shepherd of the Hills Hatchery
    Virginia Dept. of Game & Inland Fisheries

Arizona State University
    Belmont University,Biology Dept
    Bowling Green State University
    California State Univ. Fullerton
    Cape Breton University
    Carnegie Institute of Washington
    Carolina Biological
    Clark University
    Columbia Environmental Research Center
    Creighton University
    Eastern Illinois University
    Harvard Medical School,Dept of Genetics
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    Humboldt State University
    Indiana University
    Kennedy Krieger Institute
    Johns Hopkins University
    McGill University
    McMaster University, Dept of Biology
    Muhlenberg College
    Minot State University
    Mississippi State University
    Dept. of Wildlife & Fisheries
    Missouri State University
    New Mexico State University/Dept. of Biol
    Ottawa Hospital
    Penn State University (Biology Dept.)
    Southern Illinois University
    St. Lawrence university
    Stanford University,CEE Dept.
    Texas A & M University
    Texas State University at San Marcos
    UCLA Dept. of Ecology & Evol Biology
    Univ of Maryland, Baltimore
    Univ. of Miami, RSMAS
    Univ of Texas at El Paso
    Univ. of Florida, The Whitney Laboratory
    Univ. of South Carolina
    Univ. of Utah/Cardiology Div.
    University of Arkansas, Pine Bluff
    University of Ca. @ Berkeley
    University of California Riverside
    University of Colorado at Colorado Spring
    University of Dayton Biology Dept.
    University of Delaware
    University of Florida, Tropical Aquacult
    University of Florida/Dept. of Zoology
    University of Guelph
    University of Mary Washington
    University of Maryland/College park
    University of Memphis
    University of Michigan Biological Station
    University of Minnesota Duluth
    University Of Nebraska
    University of New Mexico
    University of Oklahoma
    University of Ottawa
    University of Saskatchewan
    University of Texas A & M
    University of Texas at Austin
    Section of Neurobiology
    University of Texas
    HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER AT SAN ANTONIO
    University of Utah
    University of Virginia
    University of Washington
    University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
    University of Wisconsin/River Falls
    Vanderbilt University Med Center
    Washington University
    West Virginia University
    Last edited by DanCBW; 01-06-2012 at 12:10 AM.

Registered Member Discus Origins's Avatar

Wow, very impressive list there Dan! I guess if its good enough for them I'll keep on using it

Not trying to steer hobbyists one way or the other either, I myself prefer frozen or live over dried foods, always have. Go with your gut, if you feel unsafe then don't feed the fish worms. If your fish love them and have had no problems then keep using worms.

My water parameters: ph 6.0, hardness 60ppm
    Mark

I feed and recomend Dan's worms in all it's forms, and have for years. Currently my personal fish are fed frozen and freeze dried worms daily.

Rodrigo
    Rod Clement - SOS CREW NJ

Real Name
    Francis

Just me.....when feeding FBW,FBS,homemade frozen foods.flakes.pellets.FDBW etc......I switched off all the filters for 10-15 minutes so no junks enter the filters to pollute the water.......just my 2 cents.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Whether it's a myth or a proven fact, many reputable and well known discus breeders and experts around the world stated that feeding live blackworms to their discus is a gamble and a lot of them don't even go near the blackworms. This was the reason why I never even considered feeding my discus live blackworms. However, I started feeding freezed dried blackworms to my discus about two years ago because I was comfortable with the fact that freeze dried worms would not have any bad stuff in them. Never had any issues. Then, I started reading about frozen blackworms and how the processing of the worms get rid of any nasties in the worms and got so many positive reviews here, I decided to give it a shot. Yes, my fish love the frozen worms. They all go nuts for them. Then one fish expelled a long segmented and clear poop. I did not suspect the food at all until someone asked. Then, I thought, I started feeding frozen worms a few weeks ago. Four more fish pooped similar looking poop within a few weeks and two stopped eating. One didn't eat for a day, but now eating well again. The other one is still eating well. And then, when I saw ZX10R's post and saw a couple of more folks having similar issues, I thought this was, at least, worth looking in to. Now, we have a few more folks who have experienced similar things with their discus. I am still not saying the worms had some bad stuff in them, but I am thinking there may a relationship whether it's a combination of things or what. I don't know. It is possible that the worms may not cause any visible harm to some fish, but the same worms may to other fish. All I know is that there are few here who stated in this thread they were having similar issues and there are more who didn't post in this thread but are having similar issues. Also, discus are sensitive fish that would be affected by bugs and bad things when the same bad things don't have any negative effects on other fish. I just want to gather some more info so I can make an informed decision for my fish.

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Quote Originally Posted by YSS View Post
    I wonder if there is any link between the water parameters and the issues being seen with feeding frozen blackworms. For instance, people with hard water and higher pH are experiencing issues vs. people with softer and lower pH water or vice versa. Just wondering ....
    My ph 8.2 and solid rock water.

Quote Originally Posted by YSS View Post
    Whether it's a myth or a proven fact, many reputable and well known discus breeders and experts around the world stated that feeding live blackworms to their discus is a gamble and a lot of them don't even go near the blackworms. This was the reason why I never even considered feeding my discus live blackworms. However, I started feeding freezed dried blackworms to my discus about two years ago because I was comfortable with the fact that freeze dried worms would not have any bad stuff in them. Never had any issues. Then, I started reading about frozen blackworms and how the processing of the worms get rid of any nasties in the worms and got so many positive reviews here, I decided to give it a shot. Yes, my fish love the frozen worms. They all go nuts for them. Then one fish expelled a long segmented and clear poop. I did not suspect the food at all until someone asked. Then, I thought, I started feeding frozen worms a few weeks ago. Four more fish pooped similar looking poop within a few weeks and two stopped eating. One didn't eat for a day, but now eating well again. The other one is still eating well. And then, when I saw ZX10R's post and saw a couple of more folks having similar issues, I thought this was, at least, worth looking in to. Now, we have a few more folks who have experienced similar things with their discus. I am still not saying the worms had some bad stuff in them, but I am thinking there may a relationship whether it's a combination of things or what. I don't know. It is possible that the worms may not cause any visible harm to some fish, but the same worms may to other fish. All I know is that there are few here who stated in this thread they were having similar issues and there are more who didn't post in this thread but are having similar issues. Also, discus are sensitive fish that would be affected by bugs and bad things when the same bad things don't have any negative effects on other fish. I just want to gather some more info so I can make an informed decision for my fish.
    Some fish have stronger immune systems than others.
    >>>> What Discus do when we're not looking.

Registered Member moon_knight1971's Avatar

Don't know if any of this is true but.....

the guy at my LFS says he is having trouble getting Hikari Frozen Bloodworms (which is what I currently use as part of my fishes diet) because customs says there might be a radiation problem from what happened in Japan several months ago. He pushed the SF Bay Brand on me as a substitute. I've been feeding them this when I get home for work for the last 3 days and they definitely don't attack it like they did the Hikari brand. I see left over bloodworms in the tank for up to an hour. They eat it all but at a much slower pace. The live Blackworms I feed them disappear in minutes...

Joey!

Sean are you referring to just live or all forms of blackworms?
    Pete
    MAGA

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

I have been feeding live black worms for years I mean years and the only time I ever thought I had a problem was when I joined this Forum and people started telling me that my fish were going to get sick and die from the worms and it scared me so what did I do I Freaked out and started a Thread about Feeding live Black worms and you know what I came up with.... A bunch of know it all bullies telling me how great they are in discus keeping and wrong I am for feeding my fish Black worms (wow I get real blunt when I have a cocktail). My theory is this (from my aunt who is a retired bio-chemist in the food industry) there are thousands of deaths caused by food related illnesses to humans every year. so I might get a bad batch of worms, well here is the kicker are you paying attention THROW THEM OUT, and I might get some bad chicken that I feed to my eleven year old and he gets sick what I do never eat or feed chicken to my son again come on people please.
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

unless it's charity chicken..(you know, 'hey, we had this left over from our party'...)
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    unless it's charity chicken..(you know, 'hey, we had this left over from our party'...)
    your so crazy LOL.....Josie
    Chicago Discus

when you all get it figured out let me know ........................Josie
    Last edited by Chad Hughes; 01-15-2012 at 06:10 PM.
    Chicago Discus

Analysis is the way to go but how does one know what is found if any actually causes disease. They are after all worms.
    Pete
    MAGA

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast