ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Is this true? For salt water tanks.

Default Is this true? For salt water tanks.

SO

I was perusing around and some how ended up on this link on Youtube. The guy claims you can build a 55 gallon tank for 900-1400$, Now here is the link http://www.youtube.com/user/Aquaripu...w=led%20lights . Now I thought you needed a protein skimmer to have a higher bio load but he claims that the unit he has at the bottom of the tank does all that. He also says the lights that he built would be sufficient, but would they even be enough to grow corals?

That guy is a dingus. He can't even pronounce argonite correctly unless im deaf. Why take out the bi-wheels? Because he's promoting his product that's why. He said he wants the low flow filter to take care of all the bio filtration? So shouldn't you take out the filter pad as well as the bio-wheel in the hob filter? I mean....he wants ALL bio filtration done in his little $200 filter. And lighting for $200 there's a lot of options out there for that money range. And even like he said shop lights can work fine. Seems like just some joe schmo trying to sell stuff to me

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Default Re: Is this true? For salt water tanks.

LOL sounds like it to me. Like i can understand the low filter but the more filtration the better. Don't you need a protein skimmer on your tank? I have talked to a salt water guy who builds them and he said you can but you will do more water changes and it limits the amount of stock you have. When I do my salt water tank it will be with all the right equipment.

Registered Member

Default Re: Is this true? For salt water tanks.

The Aquaripure is a Nitrate Filter‎, carbon dosing , IMO, if you have a reef tank and sufficient live rock that will do the same job

Use water changes for nutrient export along with a protein skimmer. You can buy a lot of salt for $200 to use for water changes.

As far as lighting goes I would pick up a used T-5 unit locally. I wouldn't buy live rock or live sand, get some dead live-rock and pave stone sand and you would be good to go

I did half and half lr. I know have 60kg of prime live rock three years on and a really healthy tank into which i am just starting to put lps corals.

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Tapatalk