AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeping tefe green discus

Registered Member

Question Keeping tefe green discus

I want to order two 6" tefe green discus from john snookn21 on monday. Does anyone know what ph john keeps them at? I need some suggestions on how to safely add the fish to my tank if the levels are different them mine. My levels are the following ph is 7.8, GH is 300, KH 300, nitrate is 0 and nitrite is 0. The temp is 84. Are my levels to high to add them. Should I wait on ordering and be working to get my levels down?

Registered Member

Default Re: Keeping tefe green discus

I have been getting wild from john and been keeping them in ph about 8.2. As long as your water and tank are stable, they shouldn't have any problem.

Everything I get from John has been at 7.5 ph but keep in mind he may keep them at 8.2 but in the bag the ph goes down and he does not keep them that long.
    My greens I kept at ec of 150, ph I have to guess around 6.8. I have kept them in my tap which is somewhat softer than yours and they were no where near as comfortable as in the ro tap mix. If you do not want to get ro then I would suggest staying with domestics.
    Jim

I got 8 from John about 20 months ago. drop & plop in my 7.6. tap water and prime. still going strong.

Tefe's, along with other Greens, will live in stable tap. But, they will thrive in lower ph,acidic water conditions..As mentioned, an RO is handy for wild fish..Personally, my Greens, including Tefe's, are between 5 and 6 ph. TDS @ 70..Gary
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Quote Originally Posted by neon View Post
    I want to order two 6" tefe green discus from john snookn21 on monday. Does anyone know what ph john keeps them at? I need some suggestions on how to safely add the fish to my tank if the levels are different them mine. My levels are the following ph is 7.8, GH is 300, KH 300, nitrate is 0 and nitrite is 0. The temp is 84. Are my levels to high to add them. Should I wait on ordering and be working to get my levels down?

If you have zero nitrates, you have an uncycled tank.........not good

Registered Member

I bought a couple of those big tefes from John and I have them in tap water with prime, and I also use backwater extract and they are doing really well

Registered Member

Are the big tefes really nice and would they be ok with a heckel? Which I have one right now. I can also go buy RO if I need.

Here's a newer arrival from this season, no long term resident. Just your average WC Green...Water is around 5 ph, 75 TDS, no additives, as the wood pulls the ph down naturally, and colors the water with tannins... Colors seem to pop best IMO with lower ph water...

I've had a bunch of Tefes in the past. They have always shown their best color for me around PH 6.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Darrell

Registered Member

I want to get my water down in the 6's so i'm going to use some peat so I can get tannis. Maybe I should just put more wood in as well. I know the tefes and heckel will like this but I have some tank raised in the same tank will it be ok? Here is my plain order 2 tefe from john add them with the heckel. Then later order a blue diamond from kenny. I think the greens and heckel and then later a blue diamond will look great with the tinted water and this should really bring out the color on all my fish. What do you guys think?

Registered Member

I mean my guys have alright color nothing too special. Then again I paid $65 a piece. You get what you pay for

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Neon, I have my Tefes in hard water with a high ph. To do them justice they are being transitioned to a RO/tap mix.

Aznman1, they take a while to settle in and develop better color with time.

This is one of John's $45 Tefes from last season.

Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Yeah, I've never paid more than about $60-$65 apiece for them. They are more common, and less expensive than some other wilds. Full grown adults may cost you slightly more however. Once settled and fully colored, they are stunning fish. If you are new to wilds, don't expect them to adapt right away. It can take them many months to adjust, and color up, and they won't fully color up until they are fully mature.
    Darrell

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Ward View Post
    Yeah, I've never paid more than about $60-$65 apiece for them. They are more common, and less expensive than some other wilds. Full grown adults may cost you slightly more however. Once settled and fully colored, they are stunning fish. If you are new to wilds, don't expect them to adapt right away. It can take them many months to adjust, and color up, and they won't fully color up until they are fully mature.
    Very true Darrell and I must admit I feel mine have adapted well to my water. I believe younger fish adapt easier also. My guys were the $45 mediums so were between 3.5 and 5 inches at time of purchase.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast