AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: <sigh> Provided a perfectly nice cone and they put eggs on glass

Default <sigh> Provided a perfectly nice cone and they put eggs on glass

I put a cone in the tank yet they still thought to lay eggs on the glass.

Ahh well...

Watch, I'm not trying to breed right now but as soon as I'm setup, they won't.
    Eric

Default Re: <sigh> Provided a perfectly nice cone and they put eggs on glass

LOL!
    Melissa

Just be yourself. The people who matter, won't mind.
    And the people who mind, won't matter.

Banned

Eric,

I don't even give them a cone anymore. On the glass is just fine.

Mat

At least, they didn't lay on the intake tube. Mine did that a couple of times..

Real Name
    Wes

One pair of mine kept doing it on a heater cord above the sponge filter. The place with the most current in the tank???
    Thank u to all guys and girls for all your help and hard work at NADA Chicago 2016 [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nobody said they were smart.. lol
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

lol, yesterday when I saw the spot I just thought it was some gunk (I changed my lights into LED that were dimmer than expected. Another pair of mine did it on the heater in a dark corner.

I wasn't expecting a viable batch since my water is hard and they're in a community tank. Last time I was in the middle of a massive moving for the tanks and they ate the eggs the next day. This time I have the opportunity to see what happens. I've heard people in the area say they've gotten the eggs to hatch even in our very hard water so we'll see...

I have a 90G right now waiting to be setup and once it is, I'll be ready to go...
    Eric

Well this is unexpected... it's been over two days since I first noticed the eggs and they're still bright orange. I would have thought they would turn white by now (?).

I kind of assumed with 300-350ppm TDS that the eggs would be infertile. It looks like the PEs in the tank have been taking swipes at the eggs. I saw one swim up real quick this morning and nip at the eggs before the parents chased it off. I also noticed that there are only 1/3 the number of eggs (at first I thought it was the parents just taking the bad eggs out but PE might be eating it too).

Oh well, guess I'll have to step it up and get them in their own tank.
    Eric

Which ones laid eggs?

nevermind, I knew I was going to jinx it. Went to check on them and the eggs are gone

I didn't expect the fry would survive but I was hoping to know if they were unaffected by hard water. also wanted to make sure they were a male and female and not two females.

I bought KNH's albino checkerboards and they laid eggs. I'm trying to slowly setup but I don't want to start breeding for another two months. I have to study for my qualification exams and I don't want more distractions.
    Eric

grrrr they laid eggs again, this time on the cone. I guess I should get off my butt and setup a tank for them.
    Eric