ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Allen Repashy's New Gel Food

Registered Member

Default Allen Repashy's New Gel Food

Just read about it this morning. Looks promising for growing out discus but I was wondering if anyone has used it yet?

Default Re: Allen Repashy's New Gel Food

Here is something I read a few months ago directly from Allen

"Hello,

I just thought I would jump in here because I am quite passionate about my formulas and very interested in getting feedback on these new aquatic formulas from the resident experts.

I am a pretty well known guy in the Reptile World, but my first love was Aquatics. I had more than a thousand gallons running in my teen years and as I got into reptiles, used my Aquatic knowledge again in breeding and raising many species of frogs and newts.

So it seems I have come full circle a bit as I really think the great list of ingredients I have acquired for my range, and my two years of researching gel formulas, should allow me to formulate some great specialty fish gels.

I have been obsessive about learning animal nutrition for the last 10 years and feel I can hold my own in any conversation. My ears are always open, and I really enjoy formulating, testing, and learning new things.

A few things about my gel formulas:

Gels do a better job of locking in nutrients than flake, pellets, or powder. Water soluble vitamins remain stable as long as the gel does.

There are no traditional binders such as Wheat, Wheat Middlings, Wheat Gluten, Wheat Flour, and Rice Gluten, which can comprise 20% of many formulas. All of my formulas are gluten free.

There are no empty carbs or added starches, my formulas are very "low carb" Though it would be easy to add this in if there was such a requirement.

I use no soy products in any of my formulas due to the fact that it contains high levels of Tripsin inhibitors, Haemagglutinin growth inhibitors, and estrogen like compounds.

I am a firm believer in the power of carotenoids and have a broad spectrum of carotenoid providing natural ingredients in all my products. Typical total carotenoids are 250-350ppm

The gels use a combination of algae and plant gums to form the product, rather than gelatin, which is typically used.
    Gelatin is primarily collagen, which is, for most purposes, an indigestible protein that accounts for up to 25% of the protein contents on a label. Also unlike gelatin based products, it is NOT necessary to boil, or cool product in the fridge. Our formulas require only simmering water, which reduces heat damage, and it will form a gel when it cools to room temperature.

The gels are quite stable and will not quickly break down in the water, allowing a more natural grazing type of feeding response.

I use no artificial or natural coloring or flavoring in the gel formulas.

I am here if anyone has questions about my formulas or ingredients.

James, what are your issues with my ingredients list? Because we are a very small company, I am able to easily customize formulas and willing to make any changes necessary..... but first, I would like an opportunity to discuss my current choice of ingredients and address any issues you might have with them.

Also note that I have quite a few other formulas in the works. I have an Invert formula that myself and Philippe deVosjoli have been testing on everything from Vampire crabs to Crystal Reds and Sulawesi Snails for over a year now.

Allen"

Would be nice to hear from people using it as well.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

He did a beta test, you can read the results over at plantedtank.net. I didn't think he is launching the product until 2/1. Here is a vid he put out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXmZ4...layer_embedded

Registered Member

Well I just put my order in so I guess I will know here in a few days. If this does what it says it will I'm thinking it will make it a lot easier with feeding and keeping the water cleaner.

I put my order in as well............

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

where do you order?
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and Homesteader TNT77's Avatar

msjinkzd on MFK is selling 2 and 4oz packets for a decent price.
    Tara Bennett
    Phone: 815-876-0516

she is the cheapest so far that I have found, and her shipping is really cheap too.

Registered Member

How do you reach her and what does this stuff cost?
    J

Rachel was going to give me a trial sample when I saw her a few weeks ago. Forgot to take it with me when I left her place. I believe she is feeding her discus with it.

Let me get some more info from her the next time I talk to her.

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    How do you reach her and what does this stuff cost?
    J

msjinkzd@gmail.com

She is selling 2oz-$8 and the 4oz-$10 I believe. 2oz makes 1lb of food and 4oz 2 lbs of food.
    Tara Bennett

I'm a skeptic, as I am with everything, but I do see a lot of 'positive' reviews.

The concept doesn't bother me, the cost-effectiveness of the product does.

1 oz of dry food makes 1 pound... that means 93.75% of the product is water that you provide.

So the 45% crude protein analysis dilutes down to about 2.81% of the final formulated product.

To me that just means it looks like your fish are eating a lot (appearance of a feeding frenzy), but it's probably because they need to...
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ericatdallas View Post
    I'm a skeptic, as I am with everything, but I do see a lot of 'positive' reviews.

The concept doesn't bother me, the cost-effectiveness of the product does.

1 oz of dry food makes 1 pound... that means 93.75% of the product is water that you provide.

So the 45% crude protein analysis dilutes down to about 2.81% of the final formulated product.

To me that just means it looks like your fish are eating a lot (appearance of a feeding frenzy), but it's probably because they need to...
    Actually 2oz of powder makes a pound and if I remember correctly the analysis is on the gelled product and not the powder. And it's not really much more cost effective than making your own frozen mix.
    Last edited by TNT77; 01-17-2012 at 05:19 PM.
    Tara Bennett

First, let me say that I'm not knocking the guy. I think using gel is a great idea! I just am not convinced the price point benefits the Discus community. The medium does have potential though...

-------

Well, let me work with some numbers, but I'm pretty sure I can mix my own food for $8. I'm not saying it'll be superior whatsoever, but again, the requirement for being a skeptic isn't about knowing the information, just wanting to know more...

He says mix 3/4 cups of water with 2 oz of his powder..

3/4 cups of water weighs about 0.391 pounds (so my 1 pound number wasn't even right, but I got that from a forum, not his directions).

That means 2 oz dry weight plus 0.391lb (or 6.25 oz) wet weight (help me if I'm drawing unreasonable conclusions or making conversion mistakes)...

So that's 8.25 oz of which, 6.25 oz is water... so 75.75% of the product is water.

By that analysis, no more than 24.25% of the product can be a nutrient (other than water if you want to consider water a nutrient). So the analysis can't be on the formulated product.

Again, am I missing something?

Using that new number, then the max amount of protein is 24.25% x 45% = 10.91%

----

Again, not saying this doesn't meet the nutritional requirements of herbivorous aquatic species, but maybe not the best formula for Discus (at least not juveniles).

Also, by his careful wording of thickening agents, I already guessed that his formula was based off of 2-3 other gelatin-substitutes.

---

So far as cost-effectiveness.. he mentions chlorella and spirulina as his primary ingredients

I found powder for $1 /ounce for both (price varies on source) but if we double it and say he gets premium ingredients and it's $2 an ounce...

His charge is $8 for two ounces or $4 per ounce ... so in part of his ingredients he is at least charging twice the as much using the inflated price or 4x as much using the cheap rate (and margins might be higher as he buys in bulk from a wholesaler). That also doesn't mean the rest of the product doesn't have higher value ingredients though, but from looking at his list, I don't believe anything goes for that price.

In any event, I'm not saying his research, education, formulation, and marketing creativity aren't worth much, but I would say it's not cost-effective to pay $4 an ounce for 10.91% crude protein content.

---

I don't wnt you to think I'm knocking the guy... I'm not. There is VALUE in producing a product that animals will enjoy and that is nutritious. I can't speak to that... My only point is that I'm not sure it adds a lot of values, especially for Discus.

Please tell me if I made a mistake in my assumptions and calculations. I certainly am interested in what he's doing and I do like that he's thinking out of the box about how to feed fish. It's pretty clever.
    Eric

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast