ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Allen Repashy's New Gel Food

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and Homesteader TNT77's Avatar

Default Re: Allen Repashy's New Gel Food

Carnivore Gel Premix
    NET WEIGHT 5.3 OZ / 150 GR

Our Meal Replacement Gel for Carnivorous Species of Fish, Amphibians, Invertebrates, and Reptiles.

INGREDIENTS: Whole Sardine Meal, Whole Squid Meal, Whole Krill Meal, Pea Protein Isolate, Dried Brewers Yeast, Carrageenan Algae, Konjac, Carob Bean Gum, Dried Kelp, Potassium Citrate, Calcium Propionate, Dicalcium Phosphate,Taurine, Spirulina Algae, Phaffia Rhodozyma Yeast, Paprika Extract, Calendula Flower Powder, Marigold Flower Extract, Rose Hips Powder, Turmeric Root Powder, Malic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Canthaxanthin, Potassium Sorbate, Magnesium Gluconate, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract and Mixed Tocopherols (as preservatives), Vitamins (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement).

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein min. 55%, Crude Fat min. 7%, Crude Fat Min 6% Max 8%, Crude Fiber max. 6%, Moisture max. 8%, Ash max. 9%, Calcium min. 1.5%, Calcium max. 2.5%, Phosphorus min. 0.75%.

DIRECTIONS: To prepare one cup of product, add ¼ cup of powder into ¾ cup of cold water and stir until blended. Microwave until it starts to boil (typically 2-3 minutes), remove and stir. Alternatively, bring water to a boil on stove, remove from heat, and stir in powder. Immediately pour into a storage container or mould, and let sit at room temp until firm. The finished gel can be cut into cubes, shredded, or used as a whole slab. Whatever is not used immediately should be treated as fresh food. It can be stored sealed in refrigerator for up to two weeks, and in freezer for up to six months. To adjust firmness of gel, use more or less water as desired.
    Tara Bennett
    Phone: 815-876-0516

That might help you a bit. As I said, price effectiveness its not any cheaper than frozen. But if it actually can set in a tank for a longer period for juvies it might have its place.
    Last edited by TNT77; 01-17-2012 at 07:28 PM.
    Tara Bennett

I don't understand how the analysis can be on the final product and not the powder... if 75% of the product is water, then the final product analysis can't have 45% protein b/c water has no protein (to my knowledge).

What am I missing... I might be screwing up my conversions though, but I don't see where I made an error. Doing quick math by converting dry weight, wet weights, and volumes gets confusing...

Also, not sure if he's following FDA food packaging guidelines or if pet foods even need to, but if you provide nutrition labels, you have to state "as prepared" I believe. Not 100% positive, just some random info from what I remember from working in customer service as a teenager in a grocery store.

So the math and the published 'label' don't necessarily agree with it.

Although, it being able to last in an aquarium for a while does have it's benefits especially for the slow-eating species (shrimp would be a good candidate for this actually).
    Eric

Although I'm wondering if the 2 oz (as measured as liquid???) he's saying is actually 5.3 oz dry weight.

In which case, that changes a lot...

Then it's 5.3 oz + 6.25 oz for 11.55 oz

Then it's 5.3/11.55 = 0.4588

Or for the carnivore mix, 0.4588 * 55% = 25.3% protein

Which is MUCH better...
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ericatdallas View Post
    I don't understand how the analysis can be on the final product and not the powder... if 75% of the product is water, then the final product analysis can't have 45% protein b/c water has no protein (to my knowledge).

What am I missing... I might be screwing up my conversions though, but I don't see where I made an error. Doing quick math by converting dry weight, wet weights, and volumes gets confusing...

Also, not sure if he's following FDA food packaging guidelines or if pet foods even need to, but if you provide nutrition labels, you have to state "as prepared" I believe. Not 100% positive, just some random info from what I remember from working in customer service as a teenager in a grocery store.

So the math and the published 'label' don't necessarily agree with it.

Although, it being able to last in an aquarium for a while does have it's benefits especially for the slow-eating species (shrimp would be a good candidate for this actually).
    He actually does have a shrimp mix..this is for carnivorous reptiles and fish.
    Last edited by TNT77; 01-17-2012 at 06:59 PM.
    Tara Bennett

Alot of the same questions have come up elsewhere, and Allen has responded with the following statement, this is taken from monsterfishkeepers.com. I'm not posting this as a means to argue with anything that has been said, just thought you guys would like to hear a direct statement from the guy making the stuff.

I have not used it yet, but several folks that I know have. Seems to be quite excellent with small cichlid fry, and scavengers of all types. Not much has been done with large cichlids, but Rachel has been using it with her Discus. Anyway, here is what Allen has to say.

Hi Everyone,

I would just like to clarify a few things since I personally developed the formulas......

First, as far as nutritional analysis, with, or without water. The water content is irrelevant. All scientific comparisons are made using DMB "Dry Matter Basis" Products that are sold premixed with water are required for labeling purposes to report the moisture content of the product. Dry products must report on their labels the nutrient levels "As sold" Mazuri provides both levels in their secondary publications for convenience so that it can be compared to hydrated meat products.

Most living organisms are 80-85% water.

Saying that water reduces the level of protein in a food is silly. That is like saying if you have a glass of water with your meal, that you are reducing your protein intake. The water level is irrelevant. it does not effect digestion of nutrients and is actually a lot more natural than feeding something that is dehydrated because it has to pull water from whatever is eating it saturate it before it can be digested. A naturally hydrated product is much easier to digest for this reason.

A dried flake food, a second or two after it hits the water, is saturated to the same level as the gel. A pellet is slower to absorb water, but quickly will also be 2/3 water. The fact that pellets do not absorb water quickly is one of the negative things about pellets. Consuming dry food is not natural for fish, reptiles or even us.

Secondly, I do not use gelatin in my formulas. Gelatin is primarily collagen, a poorly digestible protein. Gelatin also has to be refrigerated to "set" the gel. My formula uses a combination of soluble plant fiber gums and I have come up with a combination that is less than 5% of the formula. This allows me to use no glutens, starches, or any other poorly digestible ingredients in my formulas.

I am actually finishing up my press release tomorrow, as well as updating my website, so a lot more information about the products will be available very soon. The official release of the line is February 1st, so Ted jumped the gun as far as me having much information online, or having the final formulas and analysis on my site. I worked with quite a few breeders and hobbyists developing the line and using their useful feedback to fine tune the formulas and it was a big help. Those of you who might know me from the reptile hobby will already know how important real world breeder and keeper feedback is to me. I spent a lot of time working on this new line, and think that if you guys give it a try, you will find it has a lot to offer. I do not claim that it will replace flake or pellet foods, but I do believe that in many situations, it is better than either.

It really is easy to make, and am quite interested in hearing feedback of all kinds, from anyone who tries it. I wouldn't have moved forward on this project if it wasn't for the encouragement of the people who tested it. I never rest, and consider my products under constant development, I have spent considerable time researching and sourcing my ingredients and have a no expense spared philosophy when it comes to selection.

Thanks for listening! Allen Repashy

Well, what he says makes a lot of sense, but even if we're comparing dry weights, that's still a lot per ounce...

let's put that in perspective, pound for pound ..

$4 /ounce x 16 oz / pound = $64/pound

Although, comparing to other 'high' end foods, dry weight is comparable (i.e. I found ocean nutrition for $3.50 per oz).

Although from what you see of his ingredients, it's a suspension of the typical fish food ingredients (spirulina, algae, and various fish and animal meals). So it seems to be fish food jello then.

...but fair enough, people will buy what they want to buy. I also don't know for sure that it's not a better 'delivery' medium for nutrients.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by TNT77 View Post
    He actually does have a shrimp mix..this is for carnivorous reptiles and fish.
    i know, I wasn't talking about the formulation, I was saying a gel was a good way to feed slow eating shrimp if it doesn't go bad as quick.
    Eric

i know, I wasn't talking about the formulation, I was saying a gel was a good way to feed slow eating shrimp if it doesn't go bad as quick.
    That is actually one of the things that had been observed by the folks who ran trials on it. It doesn't go bad quickly at all, allowing the fish to graze naturally rather than have a couple of big meals per day. I made a small order because I want to try it. If my fish like it and grow I will use it more. I have my doubts as to it being feasible in a discus grow-out program but time will tell. Even If I decide to use it more, it certainly won't be the sole food in my fishroom.

As to the cost, I have been breeding and raising fish for over 30 years now, and I gave up worrying about the cost of every little thing. I'm not a very big fan of math and I found that it takes away from my enjoyment. If a product costs a little more and I like it.....no big deal. I say that just for me though.
    Last edited by richgrenfell; 01-17-2012 at 10:04 PM.

actually, he is using a few of the gel ingredients I was looking at for a BH mix... so he is at least reassuring me that my idea is conceptually viable. I use gelatin right now in BH, but I don't like that the high heat will destroy some of the vitamins (i.e. vitamin C) I am trying to put into it.

Overall, if I can't get my 'mix' to work, I might buy his and modify it for my purposes.
    Eric

actually, he is using a few of the gel ingredients I was looking at for a BH mix... so he is at least reassuring me that my idea is conceptually viable. I use gelatin right now in BH, but I don't like that the high heat will destroy some of the vitamins (i.e. vitamin C) I am trying to put into it.

Overall, if I can't get my 'mix' to work, I might buy his and modify it for my purposes.
    That is one of the things I thought also. He did mention that you could add to the mix without compromising the breakdown of the food.
    Tara Bennett

I was involved in some of the eirlier disscussions about this on MFK and had my doubts. Cost effectiveness vs nutritional value etc. I spoke to several members about this very issue and have concluded that is does have its place. However I still think a high quality pellet is an overall better option as a staple. As far as juvis go this is somthing worth exploring, grazers such as discus in a community set-up tank might benifit as well having somthing to pick at after the other fish have stopped feeding. I recived the press release and it does look like pretty good stuff. I'll be reciving a sample so I'll give it a try and see how it goes. I always try to stay open minded. Might be a great option if you have to go away for a couple of days too.
    TOM

Registered Member

Hey guys! Figured I would chime in here and offer up any information that I have.

There is no doubt this food is pricey, but the quality of ingredients is quite high. I feed my discus the meat pie and also teh soilent green (have hypans and ancistrus in the tank as well). What is nice is that it really doesn't make a mess for at least the first 2 days, I have left it in for 4 just testing it.

I do think its broadest application is for juvenile/fry, as well as grazers.

Would you like the nutritional break downs posted? I don't want to be a spammer, just figured I would chime in with my experiences. Please let me know what questions I can answer.

Quote Originally Posted by msjinkzd View Post
    Hey guys! Figured I would chime in here and offer up any information that I have.

There is no doubt this food is pricey, but the quality of ingredients is quite high. I feed my discus the meat pie and also teh soilent green (have hypans and ancistrus in the tank as well). What is nice is that it really doesn't make a mess for at least the first 2 days, I have left it in for 4 just testing it.

I do think its broadest application is for juvenile/fry, as well as grazers.

Would you like the nutritional break downs posted? I don't want to be a spammer, just figured I would chime in with my experiences. Please let me know what questions I can answer.
    I would like the breakdowns....please.

Nicole
    SOS Crew Texas
    Show Committee for NADA 2014 AUSTIN TX

Registered Member

Community plus:
    Community Plus:
    Name: Community Plus
    Omnivore Gel Premix

This fresh and saltwater formula is our “I want one food for everything” answer that contains a balanced combination of aquatic animal, algae, yeast, and plant ingredients. It is a great choice for a tank with a wide variety of species. It features whole krill meal as the primary ingredient, which is one of the most widely accepted feed ingredients available anywhere. Everybody loves krill, which also contains high levels of chitin that are beneficial for fin development. Community Plus has moderate protein levels to reduce water fouling and satisfy the needs of a wide variety of species.

Our Meal Replacement Gel for Omnivorous Species of Fish, Invertebrates, Amphibians, and Reptiles.

INGREDIENTS: Whole Krill Meal, Alfalfa Leaf Meal, Whole Squid Meal, Stabilized Rice Bran, Whole Sardine Meal, Dried Brewers Yeast, Spirulina Algae, Chlorella Algae, Carrageenan Algae, Dried Kelp, Konjac, Carob Bean Gum, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Taurine, Potassium Citrate, Calcium Propionate, Schizochytrium Algae, Phaffia Rhodozyma Yeast, Paprika Extract, Calendula Flower Powder, Marigold Flower Extract, Rose Hips Powder, Turmeric Root Powder, Malic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Canthaxanthin, Potassium Sorbate, Magnesium Gluconate, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract and Mixed Tocopherols (as preservatives), Vitamins (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement).

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein min. 40%, Crude Fat min. 6%, Crude Fat max. 8%, Crude Fiber max. 8%, Moisture max. 8%, Ash max. 9%, Calcium min. 1.5%, Calcium max. 2%, Phosphorus min. 0.75%.
    Meat pie:
    MEAT PIE
    Carnivore Gel Premix
    The Meat Pie formula is extremely high in bio-available protein (>55%), and designed for fresh and saltwater carnivores and scavengers. It includes whole sardine meal, whole squid meal, and whole krill meal as its primary ingredients. Meat Pie replicates protein levels of whole aquatic organisms such as fish, crustaceans, insects, and mollusks as a staple diet for carnivores. Plus, it’s great as an occasional treat or for conditioning omnivorous species for breeding or after transport. Meat Pie is also perfect for use in reptiles and amphibians such as various carnivorous species of turtles, newts, and lizards.

Our Meal Replacement Gel for Carnivorous Species of Fish, Amphibians, Invertebrates, and Reptiles.

INGREDIENTS: Whole Sardine Meal, Whole Squid Meal, Whole Krill Meal, Pea Protein Isolate, Dried Brewers Yeast, Carrageenan Algae, Konjac, Carob Bean Gum, Dried Kelp, Potassium Citrate, Calcium Propionate, Dicalcium Phosphate,Taurine, Spirulina Algae, Phaffia Rhodozyma Yeast, Paprika Extract, Calendula Flower Powder, Marigold Flower Extract, Rose Hips Powder, Turmeric Root Powder, Malic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Canthaxanthin, Potassium Sorbate, Magnesium Gluconate, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract and Mixed Tocopherols (as preservatives), Vitamins (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement).

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein min. 55%, Crude Fat min. 7%, Crude Fat Min 6% Max 8%, Crude Fiber max. 6%, Moisture max. 8%, Ash max. 9%, Calcium min. 1.5%, Calcium max. 2.5%, Phosphorus min. 0.75%.
    Soilent Green:
    This fresh and saltwater formula is labeled for “aufwuchs” eaters. Aufwuchs is a combination of green algae, diatoms, and small plants, along with tiny organisms such as insect larvae, crustaceans, rotifers, protozoans, and snails that live with them on the surface of hard substrates such as rocks. Many species of fish such as Mbuna cichlids, various plecos and gobies are specialized to feed on aufwuchs by scraping hard surfaces for whatever nutrients they can find. These species do eat a lot of low-caloric algae, but it is the small meaty treats that they relish and what really makes them grow and thrive. Soilent Green is a no-expense-spared blend of algae (25% of formula), combined with the highest quality whole aquatic animal ingredients, to provide a perfect balance of plant and aquatic animal proteins. Soilent Green is perfect for more herbivorous fish, shrimps, crabs, and snails.

Name: Soilent Green
    Quote:
    SOILENT GREEN
    Aufwuchs Gel Premix

Our Meal Replacement Gel for Aufwuchs (algae and small living organisms) eating species of Fish, Invertebrates, Amphibians and Reptiles.

INGREDIENTS: Chlorella Algae, Spirulina Algae, Whole Krill Meal, Whole Squid Meal, Whole Sardine Meal, Alfalfa Leaf Meal, Whole Anchovy Meal, Germinated Brown Rice Protein Concentrate, Pea Protein Isolate, Dried Brewers Yeast, Stabilized Rice Bran, Dried Kelp, Carrageenan Algae, Konjac, Carob Bean Gum, Schizochytrium Algae, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Taurine, Potassium Citrate, Calcium Propionate, Phaffia Rhodozyma Yeast, Paprika Extract, Calendula Flower Powder, Marigold Flower Extract, Rose Hips Powder, Turmeric Root Powder, Malic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Canthaxanthin, Potassium Sorbate, Magnesium Gluconate, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract and Mixed Tocopherols (as preservatives), Vitamins (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement).

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein min. 45%, Crude Fat min. 6%, Crude Fat max. 8%, Crude Fiber max. 8%, Moisture max. 8%, Ash max. 12%, Calcium min. 1.5%, Calcium max. 2%, Phosphorus min. 0.75%.
    SHrimp Souffle:
    This fresh and saltwater “scavenger formula” is an omnivore formula specifically designed for aquatic and semi-aquatic invertebrates and mollusk eaters. Shrimp Soufflé is high in calcium, and has double the carotenoid levels of the other Repashy Gel formulas to provide essential nutrients for a strong exoskeleton and great coloration. Omnivorous species of shrimps, crabs, and crayfish, as well as many species of loaches have an extremely high attraction to mollusks, therefore whole squid (a mollusk) is the primary ingredient in this formula to maximize palatability. It has moderate levels of proteins from a combination of algae, aquatic animals, green plants, and yeast to replicate the diverse diet of scavenging species. Shrimp Soufflé is also ideal for omnivorous species, particularly as a color enhancer because of its higher carotenoid levels.
    SHRIMP SOUFFLE
    Scavenger Gel Premix

Our Meal Replacement Gel for Scavengers of all kinds, Shrimp, Crab, Crayfish, Snails, Fish, Amphibians and Reptiles.

INGREDIENTS: Whole Squid Meal, Whole Krill Meal, Whole Sardine Meal, Pea Protein Isolate, Spirulina Algae, Dried Brewer’s Yeast, Alfalfa Leaf Powder, Stabilized Rice Bran, Germinated Brown Rice Protein Concentrate, Carrageenan Algae, Konjac, Carob Bean Gum, Dried Kelp, Potassium Citrate, Calcium Propionate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Taurine, Schizochytrium Algae, Phaffia Rhodozyma Yeast, Paprika Extract, Calendula Flower Powder, Marigold Flower Extract, Rose Hips Powder, Turmeric Root Powder, Malic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Canthaxanthin, Potassium Sorbate, Magnesium Gluconate, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract and Mixed Tocopherols (as preservatives), Vitamins (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement).

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein min. 45%, Crude Fat min. 6%, Crude Fat max. 8%, Crude Fiber max. 8%, Moisture max. 8%, Ash max. 9%, Calcium min. 1.5%, Calcium max. 2.5%, Phosphorus min. 0.75%.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast