AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Allen Repashy's New Gel Food

Registered Member

Default Re: Allen Repashy's New Gel Food

ha.... msjinkzd ... welcome to simply...

Registered Member

Why thank you! I am a LONG time lurker, I never realized that I hadn't officially signed up.

Got my tracking number for my order today thanks Rach! When you cover the driftwood with soilent green, how do you do it?

Registered Member

I boil the water, then whisk the powder into it (I use the stove top, not a fan of microwaves and their variable times). I then just spoon it onto the driftwood and let it set up.

Rachel,

Did your discus take to it pretty quickly? When you say you left it for 4 days....no changes in your water parameters?

Thx

Registered Member

Hey steph!

The discus initially were a bit skeptical, that being said, they were also brand new to the tank. Once they saw the hypans attackign it, and the other smaller fish, they jumped in the fray.

No changes in params in my tanks. To be clear- manufacturer packaging says 1-2 days, I use sponge filtration and have left it for 4 days (no current, its not discrupted, this was in invertebrate tanks and there was no fungus or shift in params. It was an experiment during testing.). In my fish tanks, its generally totally eaten by the next day unless I am intentionally overfeeding. Still helpful in my fry tanks, as I can feed once a day instead of 3-4

Quote Originally Posted by stephcps View Post
    Rachel,

Did your discus take to it pretty quickly? When you say you left it for 4 days....no changes in your water parameters?

Thx
    Quote Originally Posted by msjinkzd View Post
    Hey steph!

The discus initially were a bit skeptical, that being said, they were also brand new to the tank. Once they saw the hypans attackign it, and the other smaller fish, they jumped in the fray.

No changes in params in my tanks. To be clear- manufacturer packaging says 1-2 days, I use sponge filtration and have left it for 4 days (no current, its not discrupted, this was in invertebrate tanks and there was no fungus or shift in params. It was an experiment during testing.). In my fish tanks, its generally totally eaten by the next day unless I am intentionally overfeeding. Still helpful in my fry tanks, as I can feed once a day instead of 3-4
    I was kind of curious about this as well...great to know! And Welcome to SD Rachel!
    Javier

I was totally think about my angel fry!! I will be in touch! Thanks

Registered Member

Well I have been feeding this the last few days and the verdict is still out with me. The first batch I made it really didnt gel together to good and the second batch I made came out to rubbery. When I went to feed my fish they were all waiting as usual but when I dropped a 3/4" x 3/4" piece in they were all like what the heck is this, this isnt what we're used to. The discus did start pecking at it but they did the usual spitting breaking it up into smaller and smaller pieces. I know that they did eat some but it sure seemed like it took them a long time to find what they liked. I am sure that if I were to feed it to them on a constant basis they would get used to it.

My altums on the other hand didnt want anything to do with it. The piece I threw in there sat on the bottom for about 6 hours till I removed it. It did start to melt a little bit but it didnt foul the water which was nice. I even cut some up into smaller bite size pieces and threw in there but they spit it out as fast and they took it in. They are used to eating beefheart cause thats what I feed them so I am guessing they didnt like the rubbery texture.

I will keep trying to use this as it is a good way to get extra suppliments in them or meds when needed. Like I said before I think the big advantage for this will be with juveniles where you can keep food in front of them longer without making a huge mess in the tank. I think another key will be learning how to make it at the right consistancy where it isnt so rubbery.

Registered Member

My order from Rach arrived today. Thanks Rach! I tried it and my Discus are a bit reluctant. So I just leave it in the tank. But it was gone after an hour or so.. My juvie angels love it though.

Registered Member

It will be interesting to see the results with Discus. I think most fish that are used to more generic prepared foods take to it pretty quickly. My "spoiled" fish take a little longer (the ones that are used to frozen or live foods). I do think this foods biggest application for breeders is with fry and as a means for delivery of meds (assumign the adults will eat it, mine do, but they are just one pair of discus). I do know that fish that are extremely prey driven don't always take to it. For me, its been most useful for my grazers.

It will take sometime before some fish will get used to new food. I had a couple of discus that took almost a month before they started eating freeze dried blackworms. A few started eating the first day, a few took a few more days, but a couple took a long time.

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Received mine yesterday and made my first mix. I followed the 3 parts water to 1 part powder and mixed it. Let it cool off outside ( Canada, Igloo )and then cut it up to pieces. First time feeding it to my discus and they attacked it. So as far as palatability goes they love it. However, i don't like the firmness becasue it fell apart right away. I will make another mixture tonight and perhaps do 2 parts water and 1 part powder. So far so good. Yes, it does smell like grinded seafood.
    Marte

" do not fret too much over it. Just let me know how many pieces did not make it, and i will credit it back in the next bill "

Real Name
    Ralph

If it's Marte approved...I might give it a go myself.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

I ordered mine..I'll report back.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=49.235477,-123.185090

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast