AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Allen Repashy's New Gel Food

Default Re: Allen Repashy's New Gel Food

I've been feeding my zebra otos, otos and ancistrus soylent green. I never see them eat it but I toss in 4 or 5 of the blocks of food at night and there is nothing left in the morning.

Real Name
    Dan

If you look at the package for lean ground beef...4oz contains maybe 20 grams protein
    1 ounce = 28.3495231 grams
    28.35 x 4 =113.4 grams

so 20/113.4 means that about 17% of lean ground beef is protein. The rest...fat and water.
    Mix that with some veggie matter and you're probably down to about 10% also

Well, I read this thread 5 or 6 weeks ago and a couple of things intrigued me about the food but the biggest was the claim that the food could stay in the tank 24 to 48 hours without spoiling the water. While I don't want a food left in my tanks for 48 hours, I am interested in a food that can be left in the tank to be grazed on while I am at work. I use autofeeders but really don't like them. They drop too much or too little and adjusting them is a PITA. So this food sounded real promising. There are 4 varieties available and the Meat Pie is 55% protien so another positive. So I ordered the Meat Pie and Shrimp Souffle. Got them from Ted Judy here.....http://tedsfishroom.com/repashy/. The bags sat on my desk for several weeks and last Sunday I finally got around to making the first batch. It was extremelly easy. Boiled 3/4 cup of water and mixed 1/4 cup of the Meat Pie in. Let it sit at room temperature and that night when I checked it was geled. Monday was the first day of trying it. Cut a couple of little hunks off and dropped them in 2 fry tanks (2 1/2 week old) and 1 juvie tank (2 months old) and a grow out tank of 3 1/2". When I came home from work that evening the food was completely gone in the two fry tanks and the grow out tank. The 2 month olds didn't appear to touch theirs. I forgot to feed it Tuesday but remembered Wednesday and Thursday with the exact same results. I'm very impressed so far. The list of ingredients looks very good so if the discus will eat it then I may have found my daytime food. This morning I went ahead and added it to most of the adult tanks to see how they will accept it.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Real Name
    Dan

I put a good sized cube in my tank, 1"x1"x.5", and let it sit....and sit.....and sit. It took a long time, about six hours but it just sort of 'dissolved.' my discus pretty much ignored it. they sure didn't eat it. couple days later they still ignore it so I added some FDBW and now they peck at it. I think consistency is the tough part. will make a new batch Mon and see how that works....

I really like the IDEA of the product, just not impressed with the REALITY (so far)

Real Name
    Dan

Today they devoured it. Three chuncks today completely gone. Just had to add the blackworms and wait them out I guess.

The big advantage was to give them food that would stay "good" in the tank for multiple hours while I was gone. But it just seems to break apart with their feeding that after 5 minutes all is left is bits of corydora food on the bottom.

Would like to make this and FDBW their sole diet but cost/time/effort wise may just use SERA and FDBW.

Any thoughts, opinions, etc etc??

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456