AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Experiecences with Amazon expeditions?

Real Name
    Mauro

Default Experiecences with Amazon expeditions?

Hi all,

Victor Hugo from Santarem Discus offers several expeditions to the Amazon to dive with and collect discus:

http://amazonfishtrade.com.br/expedi...ditions-price/

Does any one have any experience with this or other types of excursion?

Real Name
    Mauro

Default Re: Experiecences with Amazon expeditions?

A Polish young man who joined one of the expeditions made this amazing underwater video of discus in Lago Grande:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Amazon...91053924252269

wow i would love to be there with a net and scoop up some of those beautys .awesome!!!! regards lawrence

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

It may have changed but I think it is illegal for anyone not from Brazil to collect fish. Not a problem for DiscusBR but would be for nevsfish or me.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    It may have changed but I think it is illegal for anyone not from Brazil to collect fish. Not a problem for DiscusBR but would be for nevsfish or me.

-john
    When I wrote "collect" fish, I did not mean that you could bring them home or take them out of Brazil. I was only referring to the fun of watching the process of fishing wild discus. I would not be able to travel with discus. That would require a lot of permits. As far as I know, there are only three companies allowed to commercialize wild discus: Hudson´s H&K, Yamamoto´s WB Sabby and Victor Hugo´s Santarem discus. Nobody else can get discus out of Brazil, I think.

Real Name
    Mauro

No experiences?

What about organizing a SD trip? The 4-day low cost trip needs 6 people. Any takers?

If you go on the specific fish collecting tours like the ones offered through Hudson (or whoever does the yearly trips advertized in the wild forum here) do all the paperwork to allow you to get your collected fish home.

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code
    --Don--

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by lipadj46 View Post
    If you go on the specific fish collecting tours like the ones offered through Hudson (or whoever does the yearly trips advertized in the wild forum here) do all the paperwork to allow you to get your collected fish home.
    I did not know Hudson also organized trips to the Amazon. May be he will give us some info here. Or does anyone have informaton that can be shared?

Bringing your own river-collected fish home? Do you mean somebody has succesfully brought wild discus in their luggage? That sounds improbable... But what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusBR View Post
    I did not know Hudson also organized trips to the Amazon. May be he will give us some info here. Or does anyone have informaton that can be shared?

Bringing your own river-collected fish home? Do you mean somebody has succesfully brought wild discus in their luggage? That sounds improbable... But what do I know?
    Sorry it was mark weiss/Hugo Quaresma that runs the trips not sure who helps with the exporting on their end but you need to arrange the import on your end (transhipper or whatever):

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ary-Marc-Weiss.
    Last edited by lipadj46; 09-27-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by lipadj46 View Post
    Sorry it was mark weiss/Hugo Quaresma that runs the trips not sure who helps with the exporting on their end but you need to arrange the import on your end (transhipper or whatever):

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ary-Marc-Weiss.
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing the link.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusBR View Post

Hello Friends.

I don't organize travels in Brazil , my activity is only exporting fish .

Next year I'll get a group of friends from Sweden to take part of my trip, but it's just an invitation I made some friends,

But it is forbidden for any person without legal permission from the Brazilian government, and send fish. Only companies can do this activity.
    You can participate as a tourist dive and observe but can not fish without permission, if you do,'ll be committing an environmental crime and may be arrested.

Hudson

This is JMO but going down their and collecting wild discus would be very exciting indeed, but going down their and collecting your very own discus too bring home would be PRICELESS.......................................Ji m in Ohio

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by hekdiscus View Post
    Hello Friends.

I don't organize travels in Brazil , my activity is only exporting fish .

Next year I'll get a group of friends from Sweden to take part of my trip, but it's just an invitation I made some friends,

But it is forbidden for any person without legal permission from the Brazilian government, and send fish. Only companies can do this activity.
    You can participate as a tourist dive and observe but can not fish without permission, if you do,'ll be committing an environmental crime and may be arrested.

Hudson
    Thank you for the information, Hudson. That was my understanding. Have a good trip with your Swedish friends. May be they can post some pics here after the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjoe View Post
    This is JMO but going down their and collecting wild discus would be very exciting indeed, but going down their and collecting your very own discus too bring home would be PRICELESS.......................................Ji m in Ohio
    That would be great. On the other hand, chances are whatever you manage to fish will not be of high quality. Hudson and other exporters select the best fish among hundreds of discus collected.

There is another option to this, and you can catch your own fish, but it's in Peru.

Amazon EcoTours

www.amazon-ecotours.com/
    Jerry Baer
    it's just a box of rain