AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 180g "HECKEL PROJECT" 2012

Real Name
    Fred

Default Re: 180g "HECKEL PROJECT" 2012

Cool...
    I'm really impressed by the fact that you have had so many spawns Arthur...Your Heckels definetly like what you do in this tank.

I hope you get the chance to seperate a pair to try to breed them...

Fredl
    Last edited by jawfish; 08-04-2016 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    Thanks Pat, well everything pretty much goes to one corner and I just use a regular gravel cleaner and pass it right on top of the sand, I do 30% water change every weak.
    I have never have wild discus before, can I ask why you only do 30% weekly? I though wild discus need very clean water too? given that all the guru in this forum always do 80-100% daily

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Harry,

Great question and one that will bring upon many debates... actually it has already and if you search here you will find many reasons why or why not to change as much water for wild discus.

Some research and hobbyist experience has shown, or some believe that too much water changes can lead to the deadly whirling disease. Many experienced wild keepers have noted that they change water less frequently and at a lesser % than domestic keepers and their success rates have been higher and the whirling has been less. Others will argue discus are discus and these fish were pulled from a system of millions of gallons that is turned over at an unbelievable rate.

The true questions comes from your water, your conditions and your experience. I personally believe that if you are aging water and the params are stable then there is no such thing as too many water changes. That being said, as an owner of wild discus, I change my water typically twice a week, here and there a third time. Usually about 75% of my 75 gallon tank with a 29 gallon sump. I have found this routine to work well for me and my fish.

Hope this helps.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by HarryDk View Post
    I have never have wild discus before, can I ask why you only do 30% weekly? I though wild discus need very clean water too? given that all the guru in this forum always do 80-100% daily
    Low bio-load in a 180 plus allows the ph to remain low. I have found my heckels do not like large, frequent WC either.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678