AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Furan2, Furanase, Bi Furan...is one more effective than the others?

Default Furan2, Furanase, Bi Furan...is one more effective than the others?

What is the difference between the three and is one more effective than the others? I tried to figure this out by reading the labels but it's very confusing. Dosing seems very similar. Also, Eddie and others had mentioned covering the tank and no lights during treatment but I have never seen mention of this on the labeling.
    Steve T

chop meat, carry water

Default Re: Furan2, Furanase, Bi Furan...is one more effective than the others?

i would say the way you listed them is in order of strength,the way I use them anyway. but there are differences in ingredients that treat different areas/infections
    Jim

Hi,
    If I remember correctly...

furan 2... contains 2 antibiotics (nitrofurazone and furazolidone) plus methylene blue trihydrate..its a good broad spectrum antibiotic with a lower chance of a bacteria becoming resistent due to the 2 antibiotics. Its generally a good choice for external fish infections. The Meth Blue is supposed to also help with secondary fungal infections

bifuran is the same as furan 2 but without Methylene blue

Furanase is Nifurpiriol.. Its been used for years to treat columnaris and finrot....its often very effective at that.

Of the 3 meds.. The Furanase is the most photo/light sensitive....but its still a good idea to protect the tank from light if using the other 2.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Thanks Jim & Al
    Steve T

chop meat, carry water