ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 180 Reef to planted Discus tank

Registered Member

Default 180 Reef to planted Discus tank

I am converting my 180 reef to a planted Discus tank. It ran as a reef for three years. I loved the reef but after tying a 30gal non-photosynthetic coral tank (they must be fed a lot!) to the big tank a very nasty type of hair algae got started. I broke down the 30 gal & managed to beat the HA. But then one or more cartridges in my RODI system unexpectedly failed & the HA came back. Long story short I battled it for months, between that, the added expense of saltwater & my wife wanting another planted tank from the beginning I decided to make the switch. This is what the reef looked like.

Here is a link to this set up if you care to see it.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...reef+in+a+barn

OK now that's done we can move on. I live near the Smokey Mtn. so I collected rocks & sifted sand out of the streams coming out of the mountains. I did this a few years ago with a 150gal planted tank with no problems. Good clean water & hard rock that didn't leach any thing into the tank, & the sand is just the same rock broken down to sand.

This driftwood will go on the right side of the tank. But it will be upside down from this photo, look like limbs going over the spring. Try to get a photo of it in place tomorrow. It is now & has been soaking or 2-3 months now. It is a old Manzanita stump.

This is the way I'm using the rocks. Sand will be 4-5" deep on the ends & be planted with mostly tall plants & the middle part will only be 1-2" & no plants.

The funny looking funnel I plan to fill with fine gravel (same as sand just a bit coarser) & pump water up through it. I'm hoping it will look like a underwater spring. I have a gate valve to adjust the flow. I have always wanted to do this, but never had a drilled tank. Sure hope it works!

I'm going to have some fish that like to have a cave/hiding place, so tried to arrange the rocks to accommodate them.

This is the plumbing for return water from the sump. One pump (reeflo pump 2,000gph +) feeds the spring, the DIY spry bar (but will be below water level) & the two lockline feeds that will circulate water near the bottom of the tank. I know thats a lot of flow, I'm hoping it is spread out so much it will be gentle. If it's too much I can always throttle it back some.

For lighting I have two 4' two tube T5s & one 250w MH. I know that's a lot of light too. I really like the look of MH & I plan on having some long jungle val plants that will shade the middle open space pretty much. Again if it's too much I can put some screen in front of the MH to tone it down. I haven't changed out the bulbs yet, but have new 6&7K plant bulbs for everything.

I'm sure the lighting, flow, plumbing, & filtration will all seem like over kill. But much of this I already had from the reef set up.

If you checked out my reef thread you shaw I have a narrow little fish room for WC, sump etc. It's a mess right now. I was just finishing the plumbing when my wife lost her job, so every thing on hold for now. Note the floor drain in bottom of photo, this is where I drain old water from WC.

Some of the the drain hoses for WCs.

The tank in foreground is 80-90gal WC holding tank. The bench above I have been using for QT, testing & what ever wouldn't fit some where else.

I know this is way over complicated. I wouldn't have done it just like this but the tank & drilled hole already there, so you work with what you have. You can see the entire end of the display tank (upper left) has a overflow. Water overflows & comes out the bottom then over into the sump/filter (bottom right tank). The left side of the sump will have a filter bag first then overflow into area that will have 8" of that filter foam I got from Hans & some bio balls I have left from something else so why not. Then overflows into right side, out the bottom to return pump.

This next part is going to sound complicated but it isn't really & will make WC much easier.

When the new water for WC is ready I can turn off the water leaving the sump/filter & turn the valve to draw water from the holding tank. Depending how it works If I want I can not drain any water out of the display & just pump in the new water, it will still come back into the sump, but it can overflow into the holding tank via the three pipes on the right side of the sump & back through the return pump. After it circulates for a while I can turn the two valves back & drain the water out of the holding tank & the WC is done. I know this isn't as efficient as draining an equal amount of water out first, but I have a lot of filtration & could do this as often as needed. Will have to wait & see what is needed.

Not sure I explained that very well? Hope it made sense.

That's about all I have for now. Hope you enjoy the build, I know I will when I can finish it. If you have any questions or comments feel free.

Just incase you don't already think I'm a plumbing nut, you might want to check out a thread I have on a saltwater nano. I am very proud of it, but it is by far the most unusual & complicated 12gal tank I have ever seen. Let me know what you think about it too. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1997195

I have enjoyed reading about Discus here. Can't wait to get this ready or them. I have had fish of one kind or another my whole life, but never Discus. They have become much more beautiful & varied over the years. Yes I'm kinda an old guy.

Default Re: 180 Reef to planted Discus tank

WOW, that's an awesome setup! I can't wait to see your progress. Your coral setup was gorgeous, I expect your discus setup will set the bar even higher!
    -Luke

65gal RR w/ 20 gal sump, 6 Curipera X's from Kenny!

Looking forward to seeing the final result---that water spring idea is interesting--hard to visualize what it will look like in a full tank...

Registered Member

Reef setup was WOW man. Wish i can set one up like that one day. I can't wait to see your Discus tank!

I really wish people wouldn't post pictures of reef tanks on this forum. It makes my wallet scared!

Registered Member

Thanks every one!

As beautiful & diverse as a reef tank is, they are at least that complex & expensive. If you have time, money & enjoy a good challenge a reef tank is for you. Discus seems to be the reef tank of freshwater. They surely are not cheap & not very tolerant of less than ideal conditions.

I just now realized that must say something about me doesn't it. huh

Jim

This is going to make for one hell of a planted tank with all the filtration going on. Wish I could find a setup like this already complete just add water, Lol. Or hand the technology skills to build this myself. Good luck and thanks for showing us the progression stages and your equipment.

Jeff
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

You have a great start Jim but I know how much planning you have put into this. I am really looking forward to seeing the progress and the tank with fish in it. Have no doubt it will be stunning. You have been talking about coming down sometime. Just a FYI, our Southeast Discus Enthusiast group is going to be meeting on Sunday Feb. 26th at my house. Don't know if you could work that in with visiting some of our Atlanta planted guys but just a thought. You would get to meet a bunch of discus nuts.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Registered Member

Amazing Setup!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Jim, after going through some of your other build threads I will be watching this one closely. You are quite the plumber
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Matt

You have an awesome setup like a lot of reefers usually do. I think my favorite aspect of this is the peninsula style tank, I'm in love with it. Had my own plans to do a peninsula reef but I chose to come back to discus instead. Really interested in this build, will be watching along. I'm a bit confused by the spring thing. Is this going to be a water return to the tank like a spring in nature? I think its a really cool and interesting idea if it all works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
    You have a great start Jim but I know how much planning you have put into this. I am really looking forward to seeing the progress and the tank with fish in it. Have no doubt it will be stunning. You have been talking about coming down sometime. Just a FYI, our Southeast Discus Enthusiast group is going to be meeting on Sunday Feb. 26th at my house. Don't know if you could work that in with visiting some of our Atlanta planted guys but just a thought. You would get to meet a bunch of discus nuts.
    One of these days I'll get to one of these gatherings Larry, one of these days...
    -Matt

Registered Member

If you have ever gone snorkeling/diving in a spring fed stream there are often small underwater springs that push up through the sand & churn up the sand in a little basin. That is what I'm hoping to recreate. I will be doing a leak/flow test soon & will fill the funnel with gravel to see what it looks like. I feel pretty sure it will work at least somewhat. If it doesn't work at all I can take it out & put a plug in the bulkhead. That would be a shame though.

Hey I'm just a couple of hours away from you in Knoxville, I think you should come set up a tank for me :-D
    “Be curious, not judgmental.”- Walt Whitman

Registered Member

As long as it has taken, I fear I'd have to move in with you.

looking very much forward to any updates you bring to this thread. Best of luck with it.
    Jorge Q

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast