ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [B]<<<<<<<methylene blue>>>>>>>>>[/B]

Banned

Smile Re: [B]<<<<<<<methylene blue>>>>>>>>>[/B]

Fungus only attacks dead eggs anyway, so using it to prevent fungus is a moot point. Prevent the dead eggs is the solution. The fungus hyphae grows out over the good eggs and gives the illusion of attacking the good eggs but isn't. The fry generally can swim out of it when they become free swimming. MB is very nontoxic and if you want to waste your cash on it, you can turn the water very dark blue without harming your fish but you will kill your biofilter most likely. Dead tissue absorbs the MB and that is what prevents fungus from growing just like when you treat a fish with fungus, the dead skin absorbs the MB and the fungus cannot grow.

I have set up tests years ago, treating with MB, acriflavin, formalin and nothing at all but 40% daily water changes. My results were about the same using nothing but wc's as any of the other products. So, I use nothing.

Mat

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Default Re: [B]<<<<<<<methylene blue>>>>>>>>>[/B]

Like I said I never tried this method before on my eggs I currently have two pairs the tefes and the Marlboro man and his wife sitting on eggs both treated with mthb I have three maybe four other pairs that should spawn tomorrow with those pairs I will leave meth-B out and see the difference. its just a little experiment so I can see what works better for me in my breeding room I will let everyone know my findings.... so far the pair with the MB are still a very large spawn and i can only see one turned white and didn't fertalized at this point one not fertilized sounds pretty good to me...bot I will keep you informed on my progress,,,,,,Josei
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Ok Trish Easter Tefe LOL.
    love it!

and wow that red pair is spectacular!
    "The more I learn, the more I learn how much I have to learn." ~Charles Schultz

-Trish

I don't wanna threadjack anything,but here's my defense...
    yesterday, as they are hatching today...

This batch fungused within 12 hours, youcan see them starting to turn. This pair gets distracted. In this round, the male didn't get to them quick enough from dixtractions in the room..

What is is what is;hatch rates vary by fertility, not water quality per se
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Real Name
    Rick

man, you guys got me here..I haven't MB'd eggs for a couple decades. once in a while if I miss a wc, I'll use a little Maroxy until the next day,when I can change water..same old song; fertile eggs don't fungus with clean water...Hell, I don't think they fungus with a little dirty water....infertile ones turn white no matter what, maybe just a little longer between one time or another..JME
    My experience is something quite different. I beleive that the meth blue is doing more than just acting as an anti-fungal agent. I beleive that it softens the egg casing/shell allowing for better oxygen transfer through the egg shell. I have watched time after time one specific pair lay large clutches off eggs. the times I use meth blue I get nearly a 98-99% hatch rate, the times I don't I might get a 50% hatch rate, with the non hatching eggs fungusing over. I have seen this enough times to know that it wasn't just coincidence. However, it is my beleif that what we are seeing visually isn't the whole picture, just as Matt alluded too.

For instance, a clutch of eggs get laid, the male does his job, and no meth blue is used. Assuming the eggs are indeed viable and fertile, a good portion of them still die while in the incubation phase. Then, and only then, the dead eggs fungus over. But it is not the fungus attacking the eggs any many seem to think. So, Gary is indeed corrrect, fungus will not attack a healthy fertile egg/embryo.

Now the same pair lays a clutch of eggs on their next cycle. This time meth blue is used and low and behold no fungus and a 99% hatch rate. I have seen this time and time again. The meth blue is doing something a little bit more than just acting as an anti-fungal agent.

Now as to whether or not the meth blue is negatively effecting the parents slime coat, or in someway damaging the fry is a whole different topic for discussion, but under certain water conditions meth blue will in fact increase your hatch rate.

Rick
    Last edited by nc0gnet0; 02-12-2012 at 10:16 AM.

Real Name
    Rick

I have set up tests years ago, treating with MB, acriflavin, formalin and nothing at all but 40% daily water changes. My results were about the same using nothing but wc's as any of the other products. So, I use nothing.

Mat
    I have tried those as well, with not much success. Formalin did indeed prevent the fungus, but the hatch rate was still the same (50%) as if I used nothing. Acriflavin did nothing as well. I also played with hydrogen peroxide, and this did indeed work, but I would have to play around with it alot more to get the dosage zero'd in. The problem with h202 is it will wipe out your filtration alot quicker than meth blue, but is harmless at low dosages to the fish.

The biggest issue with this discussion/debate is there are alot of variables at play. Water composition is slightly different than water quality by definition. It is the water composition that is responsable for a vast majority of the hatch rate issues we see IMHO, and even when two different people have very simular TDS readings, the actual components that make up the dissovled solids can be and many times is, quite different. Also, I have seen varience from one breeding pair to the other as well, and often times we attribute this to the male not doing his job, shooting blanks etc. This is not always the case. Perhaps one female is laying eggs with a slightly thicker egg casing than the next, and her eggs are more prone to calcification?

Rick
    Last edited by nc0gnet0; 02-12-2012 at 10:37 AM.

Real Name
    Francis

You may want to try Formalin (no blue stains in tanks)...... to prevent fungus on the eggs.

USE OF FORMALIN IN HATCHERIES TO CONTROL FUNGUS ON EGGS

Formalin is approved by FDA for control of fungi in fish hatcheries. Concentrations of 1000 to 2000 mg/l can be applied to fish eggs for 15 minutes to aid in control of fungus. Hatchery managers are reminded that sanitation is important for the prevention of fungal invasions on fish eggs. Dead eggs should be removed from the system promptly because they serve as a source of infection for adjacent, healthy eggs.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm061
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Rick

Formalin will indeed prevent the egg fungus. It will not improve hatch rates.

well they still look good no fungus, I really hope this works I have been battling the fungus thing for a while. I only used the half dose of the meth blue. I really hope the meth blue won't affect their slim coat but I do have foster parents on standby just in case.
    Chicago Discus

I really think that using straight RO makes a difference in the fungus I think Gary(photos above) uses straight RO and I'm using RO Mix just a thought
    Chicago Discus

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

for me it absolutly yeilds higher results particularly when letting them spawn in plain tap water. when using ro it semms to make very little difference

Leo
    Leo ross , aka "roundfishross"
    "revolution occurs when the victims cease to cooperate"

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

Josie, I never dose full strength either. If you do you can hardly see the fish!

Leo
    Last edited by roundfishross; 02-12-2012 at 11:25 AM.
    Leo ross , aka "roundfishross"
    "revolution occurs when the victims cease to cooperate"

Quote Originally Posted by roundfishross View Post
    Josie, I never dose full strength either. If you do you can hardly soo the fish!

Leo
    I know Idid a little test in a jar at full strength and I could not see through the jar.....so half dose it was LOL
    Chicago Discus

Real Name
    Francis

Hi Josie.....that's why I use Formalin iso MB to prevent fungus on eggs so i could monitor the fish lah.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopodus View Post
    I know Idid a little test in a jar at full strength and I could not see through the jar.....so half dose it was LOL
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Hi Josie.....that's why I use Formalin iso MB to prevent fungus on eggs so i could monitor the fish lah.
    You have a good point it's pretty hard to see what's going on
    Chicago Discus

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast