AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $$$$$$$$$ ELECTRICITY $$$$$$$$$$

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Default $$$$$$$$$ ELECTRICITY $$$$$$$$$$

Hello my fellow hobbyist,
    I just wanted to point out that my eletric bill has slowly creeped up as my fish room grows. I have seen my bills triple in size in the last 6 months I just wanted to share with you guys how I have solved the some of the problem. one I installed two central air systems to handle all the tanks, two I use daylight during the day and only turn my lights at dusk. Now if I could figure out a way to heat the tanks without those energy stealing heaters that would be great and I think I will have solved most of the electric waste issue. I really don't want to heat the whole house to 82 degrees because I think that would be pretty uncomfortable. Any other suggestion on the heat issue would be great..........thanks as always Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Registered Member

seal off the room from the rest of the house and have it independently temperature controlled. If you seal and insulate really well, it should keep the heat in that room.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Registered Member

Default Re: $$$$$$$$$ ELECTRICITY $$$$$$$$$$

Install solar panels.

Put foam at back and side for better isolation.

seal off the room from the rest of the house and have it independently temperature controlled. If you seal and insulate really well, it should keep the heat in that room.
    +1
    "The more I learn, the more I learn how much I have to learn." ~Charles Schultz

-Trish

Registered Member

Set-up a sump system and use submersible pumps as heaters. My Mag 7 pump would put out tons of heat into the water when I had it fully submerged in my sump.
    800hp Mustang, V-tail Bonanza, Fly Fishing, Golf, Discus
    Got too many damn hobbies. .............

One: You live in Chicago everything is super expensive there
    Two: Insulate, Air Sealing!!!! I had a energy audit done on my house and they pointed out many things to do to my house to help save energy. The main thing being adding insulation and air sealing were huge plus you get many back from the goverment for everything you have done to your house.
    Three: Use that blue foam insulation around your tank sides, back, and bottom but the biggest place you will lose heat is the top. If you have tanks without tops you are loosing lots of heat.
    My wife names my fish

Real Name
    Ralph

I find that the added expense becomes a factor with additions to our hobby.
    All suggestions as noted above will help. Another suggestion would be if you station your tanks in one central area with tanks side by side and stacked, it will help to distribute and maintain heat. Space is always limited and not an option at times this way.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by rbarn View Post
    Set-up a sump system and use submersible pumps as heaters. My Mag 7 pump would put out tons of heat into the water when I had it fully submerged in my sump.
    You are still paying for the heat though

sent from my ti-85 during chemistry class
    --Don--

Keep in mind the price of electricity has increased the last few years as well. In my area, it has almost doubled in the past 10 years, and more in some areas. I'm sure it will keep increasing over time, as long as fossil fuels are still being used to power a lot of these power plants.
    Darrell

As I shut down a tank for whatever reason,I make sure to wrap it,I think its called celotex,looks like silver bubble wrap.Don't forget the bottums.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZX10R View Post
    One: You live in Chicago everything is super expensive there
    Two: Insulate, Air Sealing!!!! I had a energy audit done on my house and they pointed out many things to do to my house to help save energy. The main thing being adding insulation and air sealing were huge plus you get many back from the goverment for everything you have done to your house.
    Three: Use that blue foam insulation around your tank sides, back, and bottom but the biggest place you will lose heat is the top. If you have tanks without tops you are loosing lots of heat.
    Sean,

I cover the tops of my tanks with foam also,it really really helps with the temps staying constant,the heaters dont cycle off and on as much,and evaporatin is very greatly reduced.

Leo
    Leo ross , aka "roundfishross"
    "revolution occurs when the victims cease to cooperate"

Just did one today while doing wc's.m_tank 004.jpgm_tank 001.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Ward View Post
    Keep in mind the price of electricity has increased the last few years as well. In my area, it has almost doubled in the past 10 years, and more in some areas. I'm sure it will keep increasing over time, as long as fossil fuels are still being used to power a lot of these power plants.
    Has nothing to do with fossil fuels and everything to do with regulations made "to necessarily sky rocket electrical cost" as Mr. Obuma put it.......
    Natural gas prices (the 2nd most widely used source of fuel for power) are exactly where they were in 2001 - $3-4, coal prices have remained constant except for a spike up in 2007 when the price of oil went nuts for about 6 months. 100% of power rates going up is Federal regulations.

If you want power rates to really sky rocket we can go 100% green, since that cost about 1,000% more to produce.
    These reg's were one of the first things Obuma's admin did. They are called "The Cross State Air Pollution Rule".

Not like he didnt flat out say he would do this - Hope and Change
    800hp Mustang, V-tail Bonanza, Fly Fishing, Golf, Discus
    Got too many damn hobbies. .............

Registered Member

Insulate and use green energy like wind, or solar.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bill63SG View Post
    Just did one today while doing wc's.m_tank 004.jpgm_tank 001.jpg
    Bill where did you find that insulation
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast