ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Glass Cages experiences?

Registered Member BoiseDiscusGuy's Avatar

Default Glass Cages experiences?

I know there has been much discussion on this subject and I'm not here to bash anyones name but have read some very disturbing reviews about this and before I decide to drop a couple grand on a new display tank, I'd like to ask everyones opinions, experiences and if possible, pics of their Glass Cages display tanks. Likes, dislikes, etc.
    Chris

My thoughts are with all the great builders out there why bother with glass cages?

sent from my ti-85 during chemistry class
    --Don--

Default Re: Glass Cages experiences?

Any suggestions on other builders? Ones that offer starphire glass in particular?
    Chris

How big are you going?

--Don--

Registered Member

http://www.coasttocoastaquariums.com/

I got mine 225 from C2C. Very pricey but great workmanship. Quality of the tank was way more than what I expected. Glass cages = bang for the buck, I dont think anyone else can match the price of glass cages even with the same quality. If you dont mind the $ take a look at coast to coast aquariums.

I'm looking somewhere between 180-210 gal but really want a Starphire front. Thanks for the link, I will check em out.
    Chris

I have several larger glass tanks from Glasscages. They are built like tanks, with glass bracing in the top, and in the bottom. Much heavier than most tanks of equal size. I've had one tank in constant use since late 2004 with no problems. One thing that bothers some people, is they don't clean up the tanks after building. This means you may have to remove some stray silicone from the tank before use. I don't mind doing this, if it means saving hundreds on a new tank. They are not a lot of tank builders out there anymore. A lot of them have went broke in the last few years with rising materials cost, and a poor economy. Even Tenacor went bust, and they were one of the larger custom tank companies. In the coming years, there may not be anyone left building custom tanks, and we'll all be limited to a few standard sizes offered by chain stores like Petsmart, and Petco. A large tank would then be a 125 gal, or a 150. We should use this skill and knowledge while we still can.
    Darrell

Real Name
    Discus Hans

All my tanks come from Glass Cages and I've a few, incl. acrylic, glass 20 and 65 gallons and 1 x 200 gallon show tank.

I'm very happy with them,

Hans
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

Good ridance to tenecor. A couple of the tenecor employees are making tanks under the name titan i believe. The complaints you see about most every one of their large tanks are sloppy silicone, they hold water fine. There are many good acrylic builders left out there

--Don--

Real Name
    Boyd

I ordered my 160 gallon from GC, with no problems two years ago, very satisfied :-)

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

About six months late on posting on this thread, but I must say Glass Cages do build great tanks like my custom 150 cube with starphire glass front. Built very well.
    Kraig

I like my 70 gln tall acrylic from glasscages is thick and heavy for small guy like me
    Henry
    Back to Discus grin:

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

I have many tanks from glass cages you can't beat the price and customer service like Darrell said they can be a little sloppy with the silicone but that's the only complaint I have. Just ordered a 300 gallon from them.......Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net