AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nothing beats free

Default Nothing beats free

Had someone from our local aquarium association email me yesterday and ask me if I wanted a FREE 120 gallon tank with stand and canopy. Well of course I said heck yes!!. He had a friend that wanted it gone. He didn't want it and the rest is history. Went over and picked it up tonight.

The stand looks great on the outside. Needs new hinges which is understandable and has no lights but that is a easy fix. The tank is in really good shape except it needs a good cleaning since it was last used for salt.

So it is a 4 x 24 x 24 with twin overflows. No plumbing was included though. I have never had a tank with built in overflows. The only drilled tanks I have are drilled at the top and then plumbed to a sump. The built in overflows really take up a lot of space. So what would be the problem with cutting out the overflows and plumbing it with pvc up to near the top of the tank and just overflowing directly in the pvc. I could put a sump in the stand then and pump back up. I could then maybe get one of the slimline backgrounds to go in front of the plumbing. Any issues with this?
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Default Re: Nothing beats free

I have the same tank. Absolutely LOVE the dimensions and I am sure you will love it too! If you remove the overflows as you mention and plumb simple PVC pipes to the surface of your tank you will have what amounts to a constant flushing toilet sound from your tank all day long. The overflows in the 120 are built to contain your Durso standpipes and your return lines. You need the Durso's if you expect to live in the same room as this tank. You could remove the overflows and just install the standpipes i suppose, but the overflows are a nice feature if you ask me. They hide your plumbing and still leave plenty of room for happy Discus. Congratulations on the DEAL of the CENTURY and GOOD LUCK!!!
    Just say "NO" to suction cups...

I still think it's a hunk of junk & I'm willing to haul away like I said at "No Charge"!

Chad
    Proud Host of the best Discus show ever in North America because of the people who came!!
    NADA Show Convention Atlanta 2012
    Member of SouthEast Discus Enthusiasts
    North American Discus Association Board Member

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Another wilds tank? Nice find
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Sabres1 View Post
    I still think it's a hunk of junk & I'm willing to haul away like I said at "No Charge"!

Chad
    Guess I should have put it into your truck instead of mine, lol. Now that it is at my house I guess I might as well keep it.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Another wilds tank? Nice find
    Not sure yet Pat. You of course know that is my first thought. The first question is where it will go. I currently have no tanks in the living areas of the house. Everything is in the fish room in the unfinished basement. This tank and stand is really sweet. The stand is furniture grade and I am having to seriously consider whether or not I want to put it upstairs. If I did then it probably wouldn't be a Wilds tank since the R/O is in the basement. I want to keep all my current wilds in R/O at least until I get some to pair off. If I set the tank up in the basement then I will have to put it in place of another tank. I currently have 3 125's for the wilds. 1 green, 1 blue and 1 red. Maybe this one would be heckles. Lots of possibilities. My wife hasn't gotten a look at the tank yet so I will have to see what she thinks about upstairs or basement.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Quote Originally Posted by Bart V View Post
    I have the same tank. Absolutely LOVE the dimensions and I am sure you will love it too! If you remove the overflows as you mention and plumb simple PVC pipes to the surface of your tank you will have what amounts to a constant flushing toilet sound from your tank all day long. The overflows in the 120 are built to contain your Durso standpipes and your return lines. You need the Durso's if you expect to live in the same room as this tank. You could remove the overflows and just install the standpipes i suppose, but the overflows are a nice feature if you ask me. They hide your plumbing and still leave plenty of room for happy Discus. Congratulations on the DEAL of the CENTURY and GOOD LUCK!!!
    Thanks!! That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I googled Durso and found their webpage. In their Q&A section they do say that it can be used without the overflow boxes with just a little modification. I would really like to put one of the 3D backgrounds on the tank but putting one in front of the overflow boxes would be giving up more of the 24" debth than I really want to. I'll have to think more about this before deciding. I really appreciate the info.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Think about this...

I have mine installed upstairs, Dursos drain downstairs to my sump (where my RO is) and pump the water back up to the tank. I have to stick my head next to the tank to hear it running! Here is a pick of my filter setup...

SSPX0043.jpg
    Just say "NO" to suction cups...

Larry, I hate you.
    - Dan

Ok - that's nice!

Nicole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOS Crew Texas
    Show Committee for NADA 2014 AUSTIN TX

Nice score, matey....
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Quote Originally Posted by DLock3d View Post
    Larry, I hate you.
    +1 how do you guys do it. I started a thread the other day with the kind of deals I find around here and it was a 10 gallon tank, stand, some guppies, and done in a sponge bob theme and they wanted $100 for it. The best so called deal I have found around here so far was a 125 for $100 but it leaked.
    My wife names my fish

Well this certainly wouldn't have happened if I was looking for a tank, lol. I was very fortunate. The guy I know from our club is not doing a lot in the hobby right now so he passed. The friend of his that owned the tank wanted it gone quickly. He thought it would make a great discus tank and called me. I do think you can find great deals on used tanks and always have. You just have to be very patient. It was interesting that the tank still had a for sale sticker on it for $500. They had just moved and had it for sale in a garage sale before moving.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Sounds like this is a lot of trouble. My offer still stands.

Chad
    Proud Host of the best Discus show ever in North America because of the people who came!!
    NADA Show Convention Atlanta 2012
    Member of SouthEast Discus Enthusiasts
    North American Discus Association Board Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bart V View Post
    Think about this...

I have mine installed upstairs, Dursos drain downstairs to my sump (where my RO is) and pump the water back up to the tank. I have to stick my head next to the tank to hear it running! Here is a pick of my filter setup...

SSPX0043.jpg
    Wow, that is some nice setup. Thanks for sharing the pic. The cool part of that would be that with the exception of siphoning out the gunk all the actual work would be done in the basement. Don't think I'm going that elaborate though.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast