AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nothing beats free

Default Re: Nothing beats free

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAg View Post
    I have this setup on mine (also an AGA/Aqueon tank) and use the existing holes as two drains, and ran the return line behind the tank. Basically, the result is a super-quiet tank (all I hear is the return pump buzz) and nice smooth waterflow into the sump...

Check it out: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=344892

More info: http://marine-engineers.org/2011/07/...rbie-overflow/
    Ok, had a little time to look at this herbie. I like it and it is certainly something I could do myself. So do you have two overflows boxes in your tank? Would I do this in both of mine? Is there a need to run both overflows? If I use both overflows would they both be plumbed into one sump. Seems like overkill to me but I've never done this before so what do I know, lol. If I only used one then would the other be good for the return line instead of plumbing it externally into the back of the tank? If one overflow box is adequate, especially considering the amount of water we change, then maybe I could put the return in the other box using the smaller hole and then plumb the bigger hole with a short tube to a ball valve allowing me to do a huge w/c through it instead of just changing the water in the sump. Thinking out loud here.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Real Name
    Matt

Limited knowledge here, but yes they would be plumbed into a single sump. You must remember, marine tanks (the sole reason behind the built in overflows in reef ready tanks), especially reef tanks use a lot more flow so two overflows and two returns would not be considered to much. Your idea of using the other overflow as a WC port and a return intrigues me. It should be possible, you might have to trim the overflow or put a nozzle on the end of the return so you actually get some type of current in the tank, but I don't see how it won't work. You have it so you might as well use it.

Oh congrats on the tank, really looking forward to this build.
    -Matt

free!!!!???

hmph. JEALOUS
    "The more I learn, the more I learn how much I have to learn." ~Charles Schultz

-Trish

Registered Member

very nice pick up!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123