AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nothing beats free

Default Re: Nothing beats free

Durso's are great at quieting the overflows at the tank level, but I found they will still make a "running water" noise (albeit quieter than a standard overflow waterfall) in the sump. You may want to look into what's called the "herbie" method, which basically means you have two drains in the tank. One of the drains is always at a full siphon, with the flow controlled as it exhausts in the sump with a gate valve. The other drain is just above the water level and acts as an emergency drain should the full siphon stop draining. I have this setup on mine (also an AGA/Aqueon tank) and use the existing holes as two drains, and ran the return line behind the tank. Basically, the result is a super-quiet tank (all I hear is the return pump buzz) and nice smooth waterflow into the sump...

Check it out: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=344892

More info: http://marine-engineers.org/2011/07/...rbie-overflow/
    Last edited by CajunAg; 02-14-2012 at 11:06 AM.
    -Luke

65gal RR w/ 20 gal sump, 6 Curipera X's from Kenny!

That's right Larry, I have drains in the basement and simply open valves to change out water. It's pretty easy. Also keeps most of the heaters and stuff out of the tank. The trickle filter portion of my setup would fit under the stand if you chose to go that way, including the auto top-off. You could run a much smaller return pump as well.

Last night I thought about one other thing you should consider. The inner baffles of the overflow boxes set the water level in the tank. If you remove the overflows your standpipes would set the level somewhere within the downturned elbow, higher or lower based on the size of your pump i guess. This would almost definitely place the top of your standpipe above the tank top. It looks to me like it would still fit in your canopy, just make sure you measure...

I'll be interested to see what you decide re: the background, as I've spent hours daydreaming about goofy ideas I could use to incorporate these overflows into some sort of DIY tree trunks or rocks.
    Just say "NO" to suction cups...

Quote Originally Posted by Bart V View Post
    I'll be interested to see what you decide re: the background, as I've spent hours daydreaming about goofy ideas I could use to incorporate these overflows into some sort of DIY tree trunks or rocks.
    Now that gets me thinking. The 3D backgrounds that I am looking at are not one solid length but actually come in sections that are then siliconed together to run the length of the tank. So I could cut a section to run from a side wall to the first overflow. Then cut strips siliconed in a U shape to go around the overflow and do the same on the other side.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

That's what I'm talking about... Sounds like that would work great. Even better if you could figure a way to bend the background around the corners...

Quote Originally Posted by Bart V View Post
    That's what I'm talking about... Sounds like that would work great. Even better if you could figure a way to bend the background around the corners...
    I don't think the ones I've been looking at would bend. They would snap unless maybe I could cut some wedges out of the back of the background but it would take a lot since it would be 90 degree turns. I guess the other thing I would need to consider is I would have to keep the background 1 to 2 inches in front of the overflows so I didn't block the water flow from them.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Quote Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
    Now that gets me thinking. The 3D backgrounds that I am looking at are not one solid length but actually come in sections that are then siliconed together to run the length of the tank. So I could cut a section to run from a side wall to the first overflow. Then cut strips siliconed in a U shape to go around the overflow and do the same on the other side.
    Talk to Second Hand Pat.I belive she did exactly this with her 230.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

I have a overflow box but you can see what I did here might give you some ideas

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

If you look at the right side of my tank that is where the overflox box is you can't even tell it is there

[IMG][/IMG]
    My wife names my fish

Here is a closer look at the tank

[IMG][/IMG]

I cut some slits at the bottom also that way it would draw in water from the lower half of the tank and not just skim the surface water

[IMG][/IMG]
    My wife names my fish

you would glue it right to the overflow towers but notch out for the vents in the overflows i would think... I have seen some thin type of rockwork looking backgrounds that I was wondering about doing the same thing with. Wonder if it would bend if you heat it up a little with a blow dryer or a heat gun... you ever see plexi bend when you heat it up??? Really smooth.

Very helpful. Thanks.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Heck yeah. Cut the slits, that should work. Just like in ZX10R's.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Love it Larry! Im jealous
    Jennie,

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

hey Larry,

Plus 1 here on the new type overflows. Josiecardona1 used them in his tank bulid and they are visually and functionally supierior!

Leo
    Leo ross , aka "roundfishross"
    "revolution occurs when the victims cease to cooperate"

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

Leo ross , aka "roundfishross"
    "revolution occurs when the victims cease to cooperate"

Quote Originally Posted by roundfishross View Post
    Hey, thanks Leo. This would mean cutting out the existing overflows and sealing the existing 4 drilled holes in the bottom of the tank. I'm not sure I want to go that route. At this point it is looking like I am going to put the tank in the fishroom with all the other tanks. This probably makes the most sense since I already spend my time there working on the existing tanks. If that is the case then I am not really looking for a completely silent tank. My fishroom always has the sounds of running water and air. I'm immune to it. No decisions yet so I will certainly keep it in mind.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast