ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Tank Setup Questionaire

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Tank Setup Questionaire

Ok, further to my post above, I have done some more research today and I may need to rethink the geo's...maybe a species only tank would be best...or maybe some rams & tetras will still work. The initial plan (determined partially by budget) is to house 6 medium discus in the 125 gal.
    I am still thinking some basic plants attached to wood (anubias, java fern, etc) and leaving the substrate planted plants out of the picture. I do think I will begin with a thin layer of inert sand and have a basic river stone and root wood aquascape that enables effective cleaning.
    My 125 gal currently has the rear glass painted black as that really enhanced the coloration of my cypho's. I think I have settled on either 4.5" valentine, 4-4.5" red melon/golden or 5.5" blue diamonds with teh dark blue gene, as the bright coloration really appeals to my wife & I, and they're stunning. Is the black background going to make the discus darker or will their colors pop nicely if the water quality and overall environment make them feel secure & happy?
    Is 1 x 300W heater going to be enough to get my temp to 82-84F?
    Thanks for any advice
    Last edited by danotaylor; 05-16-2018 at 10:32 PM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Ok, further to my post above, I have done some more research today and I may need to rethink the geo's...maybe a species only tank would be best...or maybe some rams & tetras will still work. The initial plan (determined partially by budget) is to house 6 medium discus in the 125 gal.
    I am still thinking some basic plants attached to wood (anubias, java fern, etc) and leaving the substrate planted plants out of the picture. I do think I will begin with a thin layer of inert sand and have a basic river stone and root wood aquascape that enables effective cleaning.
    My 125 gal currently has the rear glass painted black as that really enhanced the coloration of my cypho's. I think I have settled on either 4.5" valentine, 4-4.5" red melon/golden or 5.5" blue diamonds with teh dark blue gene, as the bright coloration really appeals to my wife & I, and they're stunning. Is the black background going to make the discus darker or will their colors pop nicely if the water quality and overall environment make them feel secure & happy?
    Thanks for any advice
    Maybe this will help http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-and-Questions.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Daniel

Thanks Pat, good idea!

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    I'm finding the recent developments in this thread to be a touch confusing to me, so I guess I need some sorting out.
    It appears to me that a couple of earlier posts (other than those mentioned below) may not have been responded to.

Have any of you, i.e.- drob 85; musicmarn1; or FishfromPhilly - had your questionnaire posts responded to yet - perhaps elsewhere, on another thread you may have begun ?

If not, please say so, and I'll be happy to respond when I can.
    Confusing to me too Paul.
    Lots of views but no replies. SecondHandPat even copied my response to a separate thread, which I later discovered was something he suggested newbies do in the initial sticky thread.
    It seems to me that even though most longer term members thought the questionnaire was a great idea, when someone takes the time to fill it all out there is too much info for others to feel they can give a reply justice. It seriously took me about an hour to think through and answer the questions. The problem is as a discus beginner the questionnaire gives the newbie the idea that long timers here care and want to help so they take the time to fill it out in its entirety. Then when no-one takes the time or or has the inclination to respond to all the information sought by the questions, one feels like the time spent answering was wasted, and this is just like most of the other fish forums where there is lots of good intentions, but when it comes down to it it's really just every man for himself...sigh
    I can hear some say "you need to give it more time", "or you only posted 6 days ago", but lets be real, how often to we go back to a thread once it gets pushed down the pipe by new threads/replies being posted. I am a moderator on another forum, so I get that the volume is often overwhelming, and I have been guilty of the very thing that is vexing me know, LOL, but when I found the questionnaire I thought "wow I can get all my questions and plans vetted in 1 post and not have to do endless forum searches to find out what I need to know"...even though I did that as well, LOL.
    Anyways, end of rant. Kenny spent 25 minutes on the phone with me and emailed me a bunch of great info the other night to help me get started. Once I buy fish from him, it seems he will be my best and most available resource...
    Last edited by danotaylor; 05-21-2018 at 03:46 PM.

Real Name
    Rob

I've found that pretty much everything you need to know to start out in Discus keeping is already here. It's not even difficult to find, because it's all in the stickies on some of the sections. Even if a sticky doesn't seem relevant, there's a very good reason why it's a sticky. Especially in the beginners section. Anything specific I've been unsure of, like tank mates, adding wavemakers..... I've posted questions and got several responses. Perhaps it gets a little tiresome when someone posts here (not saying this is you Daniel), stating a full planted tank with discus and all manner of unsuitable fish, because clearly they have done hardly any, if any at all, research. I can imagine that to be really, rather tiring. That was going to be my initial plan, and my post on this thread went unanswered, but then when I started reading about growing out discus I realised my mistakes and quickly changed my plan. Generally speaking I've found the experienced keepers/mods to be most helpful since then.

Real Name
    Daniel

Thx Rob. I am getting good downloads of info off the site, and have experienced members reaching out by PM as well. Feeling comfortable and confident now I have the basic info I need. Thx for posting mate!

Registered Member

Ok, further to my post above, I have done some more research today and I may need to rethink the geo's
    Geos work with Discus, but Geo's need sand and sand means you will struggle growing the Discus.
    So I suggest getting a couple of Geo's after your discus are fully grown and ready for a tank with sand.

or maybe some rams & tetras will still work. The initial plan (determined partially by budget) is to house 6 medium discus in the 125 gal.
    Tetras, rams, Corys and a few other fish will work with Discus. I have a Tetras, Ram,Dwarf Gourami, Corys, Rasboras, Bristlenose Pleco, Otos, Kuhli Loaches, with the discus and have faced no issues at all.
    Some experts had stated that Discus wont eat as other fish might spook them. However from my experience, my discus boot everyone else out of the way and eat first, with everyone else left to pick up the scraps. Think the locally bred Discus are a lot more robust (or maybe its just mine).

is to house 6 medium discus in the 125 gal.
    If your keeping only 6, you have plenty of space for an assortment of other fish with the discus. Just remember to quarantine them before adding them to the Discus tank.

Is the black background going to make the discus darker
    Yes it will. Discus darken to match the background. Some varieties look better darkened while others don't. Many Discus keepers usually recommend light blue background.

I'd say, it depends on how cold your country gets. If your talking really cold, better to add another heater. If you live in a warmer country like me, then one quality heater is probably adequate (my heater hasn't switched on for 2 months now as the water temperature is 30-32 without any heating).

Disclaimer - I am very experienced in the fish hobby but am relatively new to Discus. However I did my research and asked many questions like you have. My guess is you haven't got many replies as every one of us shows up and asks similar questions and its probably frustrating for these guys to type the same thing for a 100th time.

I'd suggest starting a thread in the Our tank journals part of the forums and record your journey into Discus keeping (I am doing that). Should be fun to read all your thoughts and see the pics of your tiny Discus say a year later and relive the memories.
    Cheers and best of luck.

Real Name
    Daniel

Thank you Hidan. I appreciate you answering some of my qns. I too have kept fish for years, 35+actually, LOL. Since writing I have settled on a discus only tank with 10-12 x 3.5-4" fish to begin with, and a color change on my rear glass...not sure which color yet as my wife and I are thinking red melons/goldens from Kenny.
    Cheers mate,
    Danny
    Last edited by danotaylor; 05-30-2018 at 08:38 PM.

Danny, I saw your frustration a few posts up with not getting answers to your questionaire and understand where you are coming from. No one feels good about a thread they take the time think out and post that gets little or no replies. It is frustrating not just for novices but for anyone here. Ive had a FEW of those threads myselfand Ive been here a while lol. Sometimes its timing sometimes its who knows what.I am left scratching what little hair I have left trying to figure it out.

Ive found that sometimes you need to be dogmatic. Ask again...repost or bump it up. You can also report a post or thread and ask for help. When a post or thread is reported an email is sent to all mods and admins. We can then try to get you help if we cant answer it. It is a volunteer group and sometimes we are just not able to be online or it just gets by us.

The idea of the questionairs were basically a good one. It can save lots of back forth posting.Its also meant to force the poster to think about their tank and maybe flag their issues. I suggest answering the questions and then look at it and ask a question at a time. Its not so overwhelming then and we can look at the whole questionaire and make sure we are giving the best answer.

I read your back posts and though you only have been here a few weeks and have under 50 posts, You have been posting and interacting with many members.. keep that up and ask questions there. Use the search function and again ask a question. Thats your best option.

Im glad you spoke with Kenny and he helped.Hes agood guy always willing to do that. We have a bunch of people here that will help.. sometimes they just need a prodding

Also... I dont know if you have seen this thread...
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...TCH-THIS-VIDEO!

But the video there may help fill in some gaps if you havent watched it yet.The guy giving it is a bit long winded but Im told theres some useful info in it.lol.

Anyhow.. drop me a pm if I can help. If I am online I will answer promptly..if I am not ..it will be less promptly but I will answer.
    al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-30-2018 at 09:22 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Daniel

Thanks for writing Al. I appreciate hearing from you, especially since you took the time to make this site happen. I will heed your advice, and try to be a little more patient myself. Once I got the bug to come back to discus I became a bit childish in wanting what I wanted "now". Haha. I have since given up my childish ways and begun to interact on the site as you mentioned, and am now getting all the blanks filled in. Some very knowledgeable and ready to share people here for sure. A few diggers from "down under" as well, my home nation, so that's a ripper bonus as well.
    Once I get all my ducks in a row here, you will receive an order from me as well for some AFDBW w spinach and some discus chow pellets.
    Looking forward to the journey ahead! Cheers mate,
    Danny

Real Name
    Brendan

1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fishkeeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with.

I did post in the new member section, so I hope I am not completely doubling up here, but appreciate all the advice and insight anyway. I want to make sure I get this right. I have been keeping for around 12 years, mostly tropicals and planted tanks. Although not entirely relevant, I also keep a range of turtles and other reptiles so I am used to special care that these animals require.

2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself, e.g. have you read any Stickies in this section of SimplyDiscus, or other material?

I have been researching for 2-3 weeks now, reading mostly stickies and info from this forum, as well as various youtube vids and speaking to LFS owners.

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled.
    Tank is a 6x2x2 display tank. Set up for about 18 months

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope.

Currently have black sand, however looking to switch to a pool filter sand as it seems popular. I would like to have a planted tank, as I have many years keeping these tanks. It would be lowtech only (no co2).

5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix.
    I intend to purchase 6 adults, therefore reducing my waterchanges etc. I'm still not sure what exactly I'll need, but could manage 50% twice a week. I currently don't age my water, but have looked into and planned to purchase a 300L water tank to age/heat new water. It would be tap water only.

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc.
    The current and planned filtration is dual Fluval FX6's, internal filter with purigen. Have Ehiem heaters with spare on hand should something happen, air stone, and 2x30w LED fluro tubes 6500k.

7) If the tank is already setup and running, include the water parameters;

- temp 28-30_____

- tank ph _7.6____

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap _7.6____

- ammonia reading _0___

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __0-5.0__

- well water _n/a___

- municipal water _n/a___

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus?

Planning to purchase 6 adult discus, and currently have 10 rummynose, 3 neons, 5 zebra danios, 5 serpae tetras and about 100 cherry shrimp. Do not plan to acquire any more small fish, unless replacing some. Looking at purchasing from either a reputable LFS with good stock, or a good breeder. Unsure whether to get wild caught or locally bred?

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis.

Once daily(currently). However with new discus I am told twice daily?

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows?

My goal for the hobby is to keep healthy discus obviously, but I would like them in a nice planted tank.

I look forward to your feedback and thanks for reading.[/COLOR]

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John

Hi, I am John. I have had many tanks in my life, ranging from a simple 10 gallon tropical to a 125 gallon cichlid tank, but my all-time favorite was a 46 gallon bowfront with 4 Discus, 2 Angels and a Bottlebrush Pleco. I ran that tank for over 10 years and lost only 1 fish during that time...hated parting with it.

I have read a ton of stuff on discus, but find that some of it is very contradictive. Frustrating to say the least. I can tell you when I did my last tank I did it the old-fashioned way, fish in cycling...and that is what I plan to do with this tank as well. Not waiting months for fish when diligence and careful planning can avoid the wait.

The new tank is a 75g standard display tank, about 22" high, 48" long, 18" deep. I have pebble base, a couple fake plants, and 3 ornaments, 1 that look like a tree stump and 2 logs on the bottom for my future Plecos. I am using a 90g side filter

Plan on weekly water changes (which is what I did previously) or more often if the numbers are off. I use tap water. I put it in 5g buckets on the same day I change out the current water, treat it, and let it sit until the next change.

I am using a 90g Marineland HOB. I have a wifi water heater (it is keeping it at a steady 82 right now), and LED lighting (blue and white). I am going to get an aerator, but the one I purchased is being finicky, so changing it out.

7) If the tank is already setup and running, include the water parameters;

- temp _82____

- tank ph _6.5____

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap _7.5____

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __0__

- well water ____

- municipal water __x__

Planning on 6 Discus, 2 Angels, and 2 bottlebrush Plecos (yellow). I am looking at www.somethingsphishy.com as my source. No good Discus stores around where I live, and they send them same day in special packaging (only 120 miles away).

I am still working on the feeding, but know I want to use bloodworms supplemented by something else. This is an area I need assistance.

As far as goals, I want to introduce my kids to the amazing world of fish, especially Discus. I love the calming affect they have on a room/home.

I could definitely use some help on the feeding, and also on the stocking of the tank. As my last tank was smaller, I did all the fish the same time. Not sure if I should do it that way this time or introduce them in stages.

Thanks in advance,

John

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Please don't get your fish from somethingsphisy.com! If you want to get off to a good start use anyone of SD sponsors on your fish order, just my proven advice, good luck.

Real Name
    Mervin

Two things I would worry about. First don't let your water sit treated. Treat just prior to the WC. If you're water supply is chlorine it'll be ok to treat at anytime, but if the supplier is using chloramine you need to wait just prior to your WC to add conditioner. Two, try a sponsor on here to get better quality discus. Somethingsfishy you'll be taking great chances on getting crappy fish and bad service if something goes wrong.

Real Name
    Tom

Ok you’ve heard it already and the name says it all. Somethingphishy. Others to avoid are discus. Com,uncle sams,Jack wattley and ifish. Using the Sponsors here is the best choice. Also if you can buy the biggest fish you can afford.

Your tank water is 6.5 and your tap is 7.5. Are you adding something to your tank to lower it or is that happening naturally. Test your tap water right out of the tap than let it sit for 24hrs and retest. See what if any difference there is. Don’t add conditioner till the water is going into the tank.

Water changing is a must with discus. When you first get them you should change the water daily for at least a month. 50% or better. These fish come from breeders who may change the water twice a day so you need to keep the water clean. As time goes by you can slow down the water changes. Slowly like at first every other day and so on. Expect the first 6 months to be doing a lot on the tank. Even more if you buy small discus. You already plan on doing a fish in cycle so this type of water changing was needed anyway for at least the first month to grow your cycle .

For food there are many good options. Freeze dried black worms (fdbw) are one of the best. Cera discus granules are also v good. Many flake foods work. The frozen blood worms should just be used as treats.

The pebble base substrate should also be avoided. To much debris ends up in it and will cause problems. Bare bottom is best. With your filters it self cleans the best. If you must put something in go with the smallest gravel you can find and just cover the bottom like a half inch.

Good luck and please come here and ask questions.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast