AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tank Setup Questionaire

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Tank Setup Questionaire

This questionnaire may be used to either help you to describe your new tank setup for discus or
    be a “food for thought” checklist while you consider what your goals are with your new discus tank setup.

1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fishkeeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with.

2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself, e.g. have you read any Stickies in this section of SimplyDiscus, or other material?

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled.

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope.

5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix.

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc.

7) If the tank is already setup and running, include the water parameters;

- temp _____

- tank ph _____

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap _____

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus?

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis.

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows?
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Default Re: Tank Setup Questionaire

Great job pat this will be good for new people that just start out on the Forum I like it............Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

you worked fast on the project =] glad to see this up!

Pat! I am glad you ran with the idea! Great job and if used, will save everyone a lot of grief! Now lets sticky this in the beginners area so we can all refer to it!

Rodrigo
    Rod Clement - SOS CREW NJ

Real Name
    Pat

Hey guys, This was a group effort between me and Paul (discuspaul) with inputs and approval from Al. Al will sticky it when he gets a chance. Glad you guys like it.

Pat

hey i would just like to add shoouldnt you also have a question as to where the tank is located? ive notice that discus (any fish really) thats expose to alot of traffic is alot less skittish than those that arent.

Real Name
    Pat

My experience is different. The 230 in the family room has a group of nice wild Tefe's and a pair with wigglers. The tank in the living room has 10 Cuipeua and hardly are the fish spooked in either tank. Now my little fishroom which is fairly quiet is where I spook fish daily

Once a person fills out the questionaire you can always ask more questions. Also if we make filling the questionaire a chore people will not bother in MHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    My experience is different. The 230 in the family room has a group of nice wild Tefe's and a pair with wigglers. The tank in the living room has 10 Cuipeua and hardly are the fish spooked in either tank. Now my little fishroom which is fairly quiet is where I spook fish daily

Once a person fills out the questionaire you can always ask more questions. Also if we make filling the questionaire a chore people will not bother in MHO.
    my experience are as yours maybe i word it wrong? those that are expose alot more arent as shy correct? anyways true if its a chore not many will fill it out lol smart thinking

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    ... Al will sticky it when he gets a chance. ...
    Nah he won't I beat him to it!

Good job guys
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Real Name
    Pat

Thanks Paul

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Well done Pat, thanks for doing this! Hopefully it will be used and make things easier at the forum.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Thanks again Pat and discuspaul for the work here and Rod Clement for the suggestion. Now we just need to direct novices to this list and those trying to help them will have a better idea of what the novices experiences levels,details are and what their goal in this hobby is....That should make it easier to fit the help to problem or question.

Theres more to come as well, but we still hammering that out. This is a good start.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Great work guys. Thanks
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

I plan to blow the dust off, and set up a 75 gal. sometime next week , or the following, soon as I round up all the gear. I could probably detail the the setup with some pictures. Perhaps that could also be helpful to some.
    Darrell

Real Name
    Pat

Thanks guys, definitely a team effort here.

Darrell, great idea

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast