AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Tank Setup Questionaire

Registered Member

Default Re: Tank Setup Questionaire

Ya left out ONE very important consideration. Where/what thread would you like to see our resume's posted? Bill in Va.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Bill, copy and paste into a existing or new thread.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Great idea!

I like this new form. Great idea.
    Darrell, I like your idea as well. Sounds like your suggesting a pictorial atlas of a tank setup. Like a recipe with lots of pictures? That would be great.
    Anik

Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been. - Jimmy Buffet

Real Name
    Dan

got a 50gal tank with 2 aquaclear 70's running at low setting. is this too much current?

That should be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rummy View Post
    I like this new form. Great idea.
    Darrell, I like your idea as well. Sounds like your suggesting a pictorial atlas of a tank setup. Like a recipe with lots of pictures? That would be great.
    I need to get off my butt and get it done!
    Darrell

Registered Member

Hi all,

I just joined this forum today, I have gone through some stickies here and they are really really helpful. I am going to have a new tank soon and have some queries regarding it:

1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fishkeeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with.

Ans:- I am totally new in fishkeeping, I have no previous experience.

2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself, e.g. have you read any Stickies in this section of SimplyDiscus, or other material?

Ans:- I have gone through some stickies on beginners guide, I am continuing reading more threads, I have read some threads in other forums, I have ordered Baro', pet manual for Discus.

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled.

Ans:- My tank is a new one, 48 * 20 * 20 - it will be a display tank.

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope.

Ans:- I am not sure about it, but I have read BB is the easiest way to go.

5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix.

Ans:- I am totally confused here. I know people who keep discus change 30-40% water every other day/3 days per week. I also know people who does 200% each day.

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc.

Ans:- I have bought Eheim 2217 filter, will also add a sponge filter additionally.

7) If the tank is already setup and running, include the water parameters;

Ans:- Tank is yet to be set up. Water will be from tap. I will buy test kit and post water parameters here.

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus?

Ans:- I wish to keep 5-6 discus max. You suggest if I can add any fish later.

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis.

Ans:- I can feed max 3 times/day. Beefheart/Goatheart really needed as diet for discus to make them healthy happy?

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows?

Ans:- My goal is to enjoy my discus in leisure hours and make them happy as well.

Hence, please advise can I plunge into this hobby or it is impossible to keep discus for beginners? Also, I will be keeping angel fish for the first 4-5 months, then change to discus. Is it doable?

Registered Member

Hello guys, I am new here and I have the questioner....where do you want me to answer, posted?

Registered Member

Hello all, (again, I guess here is the best placed to place the responses to your questioner, so here it goes:

I just joined this forum about 15 minutes ago, I am setting a 240g aquarium for my discus, the tank is cycled or almost cycled but we'll ge to that point in a minute when I get to that question so here I start:

1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fishkeeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with.

- I ma kind of new and kind of old, I used to have fish tanks when I was young, then for years I did not. Now my sweet and loving husband is deployed in Afghanistan he gave me a 100 gallon tank to keep my mind busy and out of the thought of the war and it has work wonders. I set this tank as a Malawi Cichlid all mbuna tank, only rock dwellers, and that is my blue fish paradise, all my fish in that tank are blue.
    Then I thought that I needed another tank, so many species, and in the begining I wanted a discus tank, the first time I saw one I was completely mesmerized by these amazing creatures, so I though, a 125 gallon will do the trick..and I start looking so far so good, until an opportunity to get a 240 gallon came along, I went ahead and got it, and after a lot of trouble to bring it home I start working on it.
    Everything in that tank has been planned with discus on mind, the filters the heaters, the sand, the plants, the rocks, the background, where the aquarium is located in my home, and all the additional equipment that I have gather to make this happen.
    So now the tank has been running for about a month, I seeded it with media from my 100 gallon and I also got some of Dr. Tim's One and Only to put beneficial bacteria in there, I have added some companion species first, cardinal tetras, harlequin rasboras, some glow light tetras and some diamond tetras, I also have 2 cory cats and 2 plecos (rubber nose)...no discus so far but I want to make sure everything is right before I bring them.
    2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself, e.g. have you read any Stickies in this section of SimplyDiscus, or other material?

Ans:- I have read a ton of material and pair with people that have experience keeping and breeding discus, but mostly is the research on the internet, and no, I have not buy any books...yet.

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled.

Ans:- My tank is a 8 feet X 2 feet X 2 feet. It is a 240 gallon and it will be a display tank. The tank has been running for about a month now, it was seeded with media from my 100 gallon + Dr. Tim's One and Only beneficial bacteria. I will said that the tank is almost if not already cycled, my parameters are good and I don't see many if any spikes on the numbers and when ever I have one they are minimal, a good 25%-30% water change usually control that.

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope.

Ans:- Even though everyone said that a bare bottom is easier to maintain, I like to work...I guess, I have ceramic coated quartz sand, fine light beige in color that I like very much because it is round in shape, the fish like to swift through it and push it around (at least my mbuna does, this is inert sand so it won't change the PH (raise) on the water. I have some pieces (large) of driftwood and I know, shame on me....plastic plants, and let's not forget, some Colorado river rocks.
    240.jpg

5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix.

Ans:-I am going to be truthful to you, I do water changes 2 or 3 times a week, usually I do 25% to 30% but I still don't have discus, I know that this might change depending on the demanding of my new fish. So I think I will be able to do either way larger water changes, or more frequent water changes, I will not do a water change twice a day, I do hold a job and I work good 10 hours a day, most times from home, but still I can't just take off and do a water change while working. The maximun I am planning and I hope this will be enough is every other day, once per occurrence and up to 40%.

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc.

Ans:- I have a 90 gallon sump and a Fluval FX5 configured to eliminate ammonia, Nitrates and Nitrites,I have biomedia in my upper and lower trays and fine filter pads and polishing pads I have also added Peat granules in my filter to help with the ph naturally. I have 3- 250 Aqueon Pro heaters in the sump that has maintained the temperature at 82.2 steady, I can raise the temperature if necessary, I have added to the sump a coralife 36 watt UV system that is running in an independent summergible water pump This to prevent disease and free floating algae. My sump pump moves 1000gallons per hour.

Ans:- My water parameters are:
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrates: 20
    Nitritites (this morning) .25
    PH: 7.0
    Temperature: 82.2 F

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus?

Ans:- I am planning to house anywhere from 11 to 15 discus. I have companion fish 40 cardinal tetra, 14 diamond tetra, 17 harlequin rasboras, 14 glow light tetras. If any I will plan t bring more cardinals. I love how they school all together.

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis.

Ans:- I am feeding 3 times a day, right now to the stock I have I feed Omega One and Full Life Spectrum granules and flakes, because the main of my stock are vegetarian, I bring now and then the brian shrimp and I can bring some other frozen food that the discus would need, I have a very well supplied Local fish store where I live

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows?

Ans:- My main goal with my discus is to have a show tank, to be able to sit and enjoy the beauty of the creation of God in these gorgeous creatures, also one of my main reasons for setting this tank is to give my husband a hobby where he can really focus into something so beautiful and rewarding and forget about what he is living in the war at his return, something we can enjoy together. He is kind man with deep love for all creatures, and so far he is very excited with the whole setting of the tank.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi bullzi and Shahlvah, welcome to simply and please allow me to suggest that you post your completed questionaires in a new thread you can create under "Discus Basics for Beginners". This will allow other members to answer your questions and comment in your threads.
    Pat

Beautiful tank Shahlvah
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

This questionnaire may be used to either help you to describe your new tank setup for discus or
    be a “food for thought” checklist while you consider what your goals are with your new discus tank setup.

Hello, I’m Miranda and I don’t have a whole lot of experience with fishkeeping. We have a 75 gallon tank with gravel on the bottom, artificial plants and other aquarium decorations. Currently in our tank we have: 1 cherry barb, 5 green tetras, 1 rainbow shark, 1 blue high fin platy and 3 Dalmatian mollies. Prior to this tank, we have each only had minor experience on our own. My husband and I maintain the tank now together and have been wanting to move toward Discus for awhile. I have heard and read many different things on how to progress toward a Discus tank if you already have other fish in the tank, so I wanted to come here to get the best advice before I took action.

I have done research in the way of reading through websites and checking out YouTube videos and I recently stumbled upon this forum and website, which appear to be much more in depth than others I have seen.

Our tank is a 75 gallon with a filter system rated appropriately from a local pet store (charcoal, I believe, which I now know must be changed), heater system, and air flow system (not sure of the actual name, but we had difficulty properly cycling water in the tank and since adding this, have no had any difficulty). The fish currently in the tank are listed in my answer to question 1.

The décor in our tank is gravel with artificial plants and decorative items that we purchased at a local pet store. The person I’ve spoken with locally said that this would not be a problem if we were to move toward a Discus tank and recommended that we do a top planted tank and use peat granules to regulate the water or acclimate it prior to adding Discus.

Typically we have done about a 10% water change every week (1x) and we use tap water and a gravel vacuum during this process. We have been advised to buy a reverse osmosis pump in addition to the setup we have right now, but being that I have so many questions, I have not changed anything yet.

I am unsure of which filtration we will be using, because I was unaware that we could not use our current filtration system. We have standard lighting, a heater rated for our aquarium size and a small pump that improves water circulation.

- temp 78-82

- tank ph 7.2

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap 8.4

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0-0.5

- nitrate reading 20

- well water N/A

- municipal water N/A

Our current stocking levels are listed above in question 1. I am unsure yet of how many discus, because I thought this forum would be an authority on making a suggestion regarding stocking, as well as a few other things. We would like to have as many as is possible, as our final destination was to have a Discus tank. Our proposed source for getting Discus would be someone that deals with a local shop called Fishtopia. https://www.facebook.com/FishtopiaKC?fref=ts

Our current feeding regimen is to feed 3 x per day, although they eat tropical fish flakes and we know that this method would more than likely change once we change our tank.

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows? In this hobby, our ultimate goal would be to have a something nice in our home that we could enjoy caring for and looking at. Is it imperative to have a bottom planted tank?

1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fishkeeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with. Hi all,

Hello my name is Dustin
    I just joined this forum two days ago, I have gone through some stickies here and they are really really helpful, but the more I read the more I realize the more I don’t really know about discus beside the basic of keeping them alive and healthy .

2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself.

Answer, I have had a tank just with 20 black tetra and a friend gave me 8 discus of different sizes because he got station overseas at first. And was told the basics

A)48.5" x 18.5" x 21.2" it is a display tank It has been set up for 10 months now.

The tank has some décor 4 medium size peaces of drift wood with gravel bottom

I do 50% R/O water changes every other week

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc

. For My filtration I use API NEXX for a 100 Gallons I also have a 100 gallon heater and lighting is aqueon colormax T8

- temp 82

- tank ph 7.0

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading .25

- nitrate reading 7.0

I have 8 discus 4 are 5-6inchs 4 are 3-4inchs and 20 black tetra 1 bushy noise pleco

Twice a day frozen blood worms

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus?

Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows? Right now I have them in a somewhat community tank but will like to become a hobby breeder and enter shows if the opportunity and right fish comes by

Hi im Marnie and new to Discus !~ found this forum after a few months of reading and researching and came back to it just now to get darn serious about Discus. I have dreamed and plotted about a fully planted tank and finally got a 55g i know thats small potatoes for Discus but i will get larger later on so for my first set up im happy.

What other material would you recommend?

My main challenge is that i live in a remote area with well water, i have driftwood seasoned in the dirt planted tank, with eco complete and flourite dark on top of miracle grow organic dirt as per Dustins fish tanks you tube.

I have 3 filters, cannister, undergravel, and millenium 3000 hob and i need to change the lighting i was thinking 2 t5 x 54, 48" am researching madly to change that since my plants will need it. i have easy to moderate plants to start i bought 48 from aqua bid and they are healthy, i have not yet added CO2 and will not do so for 6 months.

the tank is already established bacteria wise, its cycled but the plants are new and that will need another while fishless in case i have to change things to help out plants i think....stop me at any point - its nerve wracking to think how horribly wrong i could be doing everything !@

My LFS has the SAME water as me so i was thinking of getting his three discus, though he charges horribly, they are young and dark but they have nice red eyes and i have visited them every week for a couple of months they are small and dark still and way to many fish in there with them but at least i know he doesnt even try and do anything special for them i think he only feeds them flakes! it would be a good fish to get for me because i KNOW i can do better than a 30g tank stocked with rainbows, congas, electric blue rams, german rams, a large chichlid peaceful but i forget the name, bala sharks and discus !!! sheesh but they are ok

my tap water is ph 8 (cringe) and the tank with driftwood and at 84 degrees is 7.4 im hoping to do some peat maybe in the cannister and the dirt will help ph come down too. but again he has none of that, though i would like to get 5 fish so they have a good group to make them happy so will buy two more,. should that be after the other fish settle in or at the same time ? i WOULD like to put my rainbows in there i just want them to be as happy as i can make them and will not do it until i get the much larger tank if that will make them worried. again still learning so feel free to pick me apart and put me back together

plants, i got a selection i got 24 java ferns, and a pick of 20 from this list Amazon Swords TALL, Ludwigia Peruensis or Broad Leaf, Cryptocoryne- Red, Bronze, Lutea, Ciliata, Spiralis, Undulata (pinkish), Anubias- Nana, Barteri, or Coffeefolia, Java Fern, Java Moss. Saggataria Chilensis or Subulata, Cabomba Purple or Green, Vallisennaria, Wisteria.

so i need to find where to order lights 48# and im ready to go i hope !

Registered Member Fish from Philly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    This questionnaire may be used to either help you to describe your new tank setup for discus or
    be a “food for thought” checklist while you consider what your goals are with your new discus tank setup.

Hello there! My name is Barry and I have been in the hobby since last December (about 18 months now). I have kept a tropical community with tetras, rams, apistos, plecos, shrimps and snails, and have a 55 gallon planted tank now with a school of rummynose, cardinal, emperor, plus a headstander, GN pleco, BN pleco, and GBR.

Read hours upon hours and have decided I am upgrading to 150 gallon low tech planted discus tank

150 gallon, 6 foot standard display. It's been up with current owner almost a year.

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope. Currently have dirftwood and amazon biotope in my 55 and plan on replicating the same but will change the neon green gravel (forgive me, my first tank!) to a sand substrate with carribsea eco complete planted substrate under the sand in certain sections that will be more heavily planted

I currently do 1 to 2 w/c per week about 30% each time. I do not age water and simply treat with tap water conditioner, let sit for 10 min, then add to tank in buckets. I bought a python and plan to use this for the 150

The new set up will have (2) 300 watt heaters, (2) Fluval F5, (1) Fluval 406. Rather than running a sponge, I was thinking to attach sponge to the intake of the 406. Also included in the package are double bright Marineland LEDs. I do not intend to use CO2 just yet.

- temp _____

- tank ph _____

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap _____ neutral

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

I plan on increasing my current schools to 30 cardinals, 20 rummys, keep the 12 emperors (unless I find more females then I will get them since I have double the amount of males now) adding a few octo or maybe 6 small sterba corys plus of course, the KING of the Aquarium - eventually a dozen or so discus (more like 6 to start)

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis. I feed every other day flake food, and various frozen foods like blood worms, daphnia, baby brine. I also feed live brine once or twice a month

I plan on keeping a planted discus show tank

Thanks everyone!!

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast