AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Tank Setup Questionaire

Default Re: Tank Setup Questionaire

2 of my discus

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Registered Member

1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fish keeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with.
    My name is Andrew, and I have been keeping pretty simple fresh-water fish for the last couple years now. I am starting to get into the more difficult kinds to keep.

2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself, e.g. have you read any Stickies in this section of SimplyDiscus, or other material?
    I have read the stickies and done quite a few hours of research and reading.

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled.
    It is a 75G show tank, 48x18x18, display, it has been set up for a few months now as a low-populated aquarium. I am looking to add adult Discus and live plants

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope.
    It has some onyx sand as a bottom layer, and gravel as a top layer, planted. Has a fake tree stump, rock overlay, fallen log

5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix.
    I will be doing 30% bi-daily, once I have 6 adult Discus added. I have been doing 25% weekly, with the few fish that were in it. I will be aging my water, no R/O as of now.

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc.
    I have a Fluval 406 Canister, and a Fluval C4 as a HOB, I plan on adding sponges to both intakes to allow easy removal of large debris. I have a solid 300W Hydor heater, as well as a AC50 Power Head. Lighting I have an Aquasun LED and also a 48'' T5 with a glass canopy.

7) If the tank is already setup and running, include the water parameters;

- temp 86

- tank ph 7.6-7.8

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap 7.8

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading trace

- well water Yes I am well water.

- municipal water ____

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus?
    In my 75G I will have 6/7 Adult Discus, 4 Dwarf Gouramis, a small school of Rummy-nose Tetras, a half dozen albino bushynoses, as well as 2 cray fish (red/blue). I also have a Black Ghost Knife Fish, an Elephant Nose, and a red-tailed Shark i will be trying to keep in there as well. Throw in a few shrimp to see how long they can last

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis.
    I will be feeding an alternate schedule of mixed foods, including but not limited to...HQ flake food, blackworms, bloodworms, soaked HQ pellets, frozen beefheart mix

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows? Right now I do it for the pure curiosity of biology, I live in a small 1BR apt with a 170 pd mastiff so not much room now but I do hope to breed fish/shrimp/inverts in the future!

Registered Member

I am knew to the Discus world. I have owned different kinds of saltwater and freshwater tanks through the years but got out of the hobby about five years ago do to life's demands. Now time has opened up for me to get back into it. My freshwater experience in the past was with African and South American cichlids.

My tank is a 92 gallon corner. I have been tossing around the idea of using a vertical garden as the filtration for the tank (a type of auquaponics). I have been researching this off and on for the last two years and love the idea.

Do you have any thoughts to the idea? Or any experience with auquaponics and its pros and cons?

Registered Member

1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fishkeeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with.
    I have had a few years in the marine hobby, I believe I started when I was 9-10 years old, I've kept clownfish, chromis, basslets, dottybacks, and gobies in various marine setups. I currently have a Nanocube 28 HQI reef, but due to our very recent move that happened very quickly, my 2 mated clownfish and chromis died.... Hopefully my corals survive.
    For Fresh, I started around a year later with a crazy awesome craigslist deal, the tank was 20 x 10 x 18, odd dimensions. Then I got a 56 gallon which was a marine but I disliked the setup for salt, so now its a fresh tank, a great one to! Currently before the move I had in it:
    3 Three Stripe cories
    1 Awesome black angelfish
    3 Aussie gold rainbowfish
    5 Cherry barbs (Was thinking about adding more)
    5 Cardinal tetras (Again wanted to add more)
    5 Serpae tetras
    Various sword plants, cryps, etc
    15 gallon sump with various media and Eheim pump
    Current Satellite led
    2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself, e.g. have you read any Stickies in this section of SimplyDiscus, or other material?
    Just starting!
    3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled.
    36 x 18 x 20, around a year+ old
    4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope.
    Planted, looking for a Amazon deep forest look, hence it's name "Umbra Silva" Amazonian ADA substrate with cheap gravel
    5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix.
    Usually once a week, smaller, if I ever get discus I know I'll have to do more!
    6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc.
    Sump all the way! Heaters are 2 50w and one I think 250w, something like that I think.
    7) If the tank is already setup and running, include the water parameters; Last time I tested, PH was I think around 6.3-6.5, KH is around 2-5, tank is usually in the mid-high 70's, I used to test GH until, well long story, it blew up lol
    I was thinking to do research for a few years until my angelfish dies (And most of the smaller tetras) before even considering discus.
    Thanks!

Registered Member

Post Re: Tank Setup Questionaire

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    This questionnaire may be used to either help you to describe your new tank setup for discus or
    be a “food for thought” checklist while you consider what your goals are with your new discus tank setup.

1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fishkeeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with.
    Hi i'm Ernie I've been keeping fish of one sort or another for 25+ yrs. Currently I have a 400 gal reef tank that I call successful on good days lol .

I'm just getting started here but I've read several articles on water chemistry. Also had a couple of extensive conversations with my favorite LFS employee.

125 gal 72X18X23 It'll be a DT It was setup as a reef tank until about 5 mon ago so needless to say it needed a good cleaning which I have just finished.

Substrate will be a combo of fine gravel and quartz sand. Planted Beyond that I haven't decided yet

Ro for sure Thats all I ever use The rest is still in the works

Undecided and open to suggestions. But I'm pretty sure I'll have a canister in there someplace

7) If the tank is already setup and running, include the water parameters;

- temp _____

- tank ph _____

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap _____

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus?
    Undecided

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis.
    Undecided

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows?
    Atm Just to keep them alive and healthy

Registered Member

Oops forgot Nitrate lol
    Usually around 5-10, right now it spiked during the move, Nitrite and Amm are always 0

Registered Member

Hi all. Have kept fresh water fish for about 25 years but this is my first attempt at a planted show tank with discus. I have kept community fish, african cichlids and SA cichlid tanks in the past. I read a good bit about planted tanks and discus tanks before this attempt. I even learned that one of my local pet stores purchases their discus from Discus Hans. So, all of my discus come from them(Animal Jungle in Virginia Beach, VA).

My tank is a 50g acrylic, 36x15x20. I cycled it with the overgrown cichlids I traded at Animal Jungle. Then added some new fish. Waited a week, added some more. Waited a week, added some more. Done adding fish. Done adding plants unless I experience plant loss but so far so good.

Tank is planted with several hardy types of common plants like swords, dwarf hair grass, micro sword, anubias, and some others for which I forgot the name. It has a few pieces of drift/bogwood and rocks that form small caves for those fish that enjoy them. The substrate is 40lbs of black flourite sand and 35lbs of black Tahitian Moon sand mixed.

Currently, 10% water changes 2x weekly seem to keep the water stable at 6.8 PH and no ammonia buildup. I use city water that comes out of the tap at about 7.0 though lately it has been at 7.2
    I have an aquaclear 110 HOB and a Eheim G160 cannister for filtration. I have a Marineland 200w steath pro heater set at 82 and a cobalt neotherm 200w set at 84. 2 Hydor nano 425's for water movement and 3 airlines that emerge under the rocks into airstones. I have a 36" Marineland Planted Aquarium LED light system and still have my Marineland Double bright LED light as a backup. 2 thermometers at opposite corners checked regularly confirm stable 84 degrees. I need to obtain a freshwater nitrite and nitrate test kit apparently.

Tank is set up as an active show tank so is overstocked with small fish. I have no plans on becoming a breeder or showing fish. This is just for my enjoyment and relaxation. Other fish in this tank include 2 fish from the previous 30g tank, a green phantom pleco and an inspector pleco. New fish include a total of 8 2.5" discus (Hans), 6 rams, 12 cardinals, 6 rummy nose, 2 clown loaches, 4 cory cats, 6 small angels. In the 2 weeks I have had the tank, I lost 1 blue ram on its first night. The store replaced that ram and all seem to be doing fine so far.

I feed a variety of foods, flake, pellet, sinking and floating. sinking wafers. Frozen beef heart cubes. SInking algae wafers for the plecos. I feed small feeding several times daily with the algae wafers only after the white day lights turn off and the blue moon light is on.

I know from reading the forum, there are mixed feelings on this type of setup. I also know that the knowledge here is off the hook and if I am to succeed, it will be in large part due to the advice received herein.

Registered Member

Picture of above tank

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Registered Member

Nevermind, can't add pics yet.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jeff

1) Hi, Everyone! My name is Jeff and I have been keeping fish for about 5 years. The last 4 years have been keeping hard to keep/rare marine fish and maintaining a small polyp stony 180 gallon reef with all the bells.

2) I have done a little research here on the stickies and on youtube. (Discus Hans is only 2 hours from me)

3) My tank is a 120 4ft tank that I couldnt sell and I have always wanted a planted discus tank. It is empty at the moment but it will be filled and
    the cycle started soon

4) Planted, with dirt bottom, mostly discus and a school of tetras

5) I would do a water change once a month depending on bio load and feeding regimen. I have an ro/di unit that will be used to fill the tank unless told otherwise

6) I dont want a sump so I would like some suggestions as to the type of filtration that is recommended

7) City Well water with no chloramines just Sodium hypochlorite

8) Money is not an issue so I plan on treating this tank like my reef tanks, pack as many rare and expensive fish as I can do without degrading the animals living conditions

9) I feed my reef 3 times per day: frozen and pellets(live for my predator tank)

10) With everything I get into, I do it because I love keeping fish and I LOVE a challenge so if breeding is the ultimate challenge then that is what I will probably end up doing.

Please give me some feedback, it is greatly appreciated!
    Jeff

Real Name
    Eric

I'd say even with great filtration you should consider a significantly more vigorous wc regimen. Great size tank for keeping discus; if you do it right it can be absolutely stunning! Good luck!
    .................................................. .........................

Welcome to the forum, Jeff.
    Regrettably, a once a month water change routine will be far from ideal for keeping discus, even adult fish and with good filtration. The ensuing water quality & conditions will no doubt be lacking in what discus need to thrive and remain healthy.
    I believe you should do more research before delving into discus, which would tell you that a recommended minimum wc regimen, even for adult fish, would be once weekly - and a fairly large quantity at that - say 50% or more.
    Even once weekly though, would be insufficient for raising smaller juvie discus.
    Best of luck to you.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Larry szczechowicz

hi, i was given a 150 gallon tank. it was used for salt water fish. i have a 60 gallon salt water tank now and it has been set up for three years. My wife and i have always loved discus fish and would like to set up this 150 gallon tank as a discus tank. i am over 70 years old and have had fish tanks most of my life. the tank has a little giant pump with a sump tank,an hob return box. i have no idiea what type of lighting system or filter system to use.i have an RO/DI filter system now for my salt water fish,is that good enough for the discus fish. i have read and watched you tube videios for several weeks now and i am getting more confused now. it is going to be a bare bottom ,drift wood tank. with a picture of plants on the back of the tank. i want to know what water flow ,heaters i need (house temp is 71 degress).is it better to keep HOB filters spounge filters. I have a thousand questions to ask Ilive in north Florida(near Jacksonville would like to talk to someone that could answer some question thanks

Registered Member

Hi Larry, welcome to the forum, I'm new to discus too and love this place, the people are great the knowledge that is available is over the top. I'd start a thread in the beginner section here you will get more comments and suggestions there. Just call it Larry's 150 build.

Oh, and read all the stickies, there is an incredible amount of information there as well.

Again, welcome to the forum

I'm in Jacksonville too

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

After keeping community planted tanks for many years on and off, had an oscar in 250L for 10 years and currently have two aquascapes 40L shrimp and a 60L both with pressurised co2 high light ect... I have finally got hold of a nice big 900x450x800(high) 320L tank for my first discus setup it is being setup and filled in the next week or two as I have been getting together all the equipment for it.

Has two cannisters one 305 fluval, one ehiem 2217, will have peat moss as on layer in both any other media you would reccomend they both currently have ceremic, volcanic stone and fliter pads. I also got a powerhead venturi today which I will use to airate the water however I am not sure if i need this now and am worried that I will have to much current and flow in the system?

Heating have a shogun 400w and an eheim 150 using two in case one fails and also to take the load off one (is this a good idea/should i just use the shogun?)

Lighting wise have a 4 bar t5 39w globes (a blasst is currenlty broken so only 2 bars work and considering only using 2 due to the plants im considering are low light and would the discus prefer less lighting?) 2 large pieces of driftwood, plants will be java fern, annubius, amazon swords, vallisneria, piggmy chain swords and some crypts. substrate is red fluorite and white sand (still considering which sand saw one that helps cycle the tank/keep water around 7?)

Have a 200L drum to age my water and another 400w heater for it, did not plan on airating the drum now considering using the powerhead venturi in this drum? It previously had malaossoe syrup in it so obviously food grade and dont' think the sugars from that should affect the water. Initially I planned to do once a week 60% changes but after more reading thinking would be better to do twice a week 30 or 40%?

Plan on running a temp of 28 or 29? Just bought a ph probe so can let you know more exact numbers on that and ammoina nitrites ect... in the next couple of weeks.

I plan on having 8 discus from a local breeder and maybe 20 or so tetras most likely rummy nose or glowlight that I will have in the tank for a few weeks before I introduce the discus while I stabilize the tank. Feeding wise still figuring out but probably twice a day before and after work could probably do another before bed mix of flake, bloodworm, beef heart?

Will see how things progress this year I don't plan on breeding and just want a really nice aquascaped discus display tank where everything is happy and healthy.

I have spent countless hours reading forums and books, talking with shops, breeders and although get some conflicting "advice" generally quite similar, clean water water changes with aged water, don't worry to much about ph/hardness, just keep things consistent. I think my biggest challange will be I love my aquascaped tanks and really don't want to go bb however it will be heavily planted so hopefully that will help the tank/fish more then hinder. Any suggestions hints/tips much apprecaited I am here to learn and eventually help, thanks

Tnoble

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast