ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Tank Setup Questionaire

Registered Member

Default Re: Tank Setup Questionaire

Discus Rob,

Thanks for your reply it is greatly appreciated.

The water parameters I gave earlier in my post were based on test strips which I have learned that they are not always accurate.

I have now purchased an API Master test kit and the new parameters are as follows (in fact are different):

Aquarium Water (100% RO water with Preis Discus Minerals added) on 2nd day of fishless cycle

PH - 7.6
    Ammonia - 0.25
    Nitrite - 0 PPM
    Nitrate - 5 PPM

Tap water straight from the Tap:

PH - 8.2
    Nitrates - 30-40PPM

Arent the parameters for the tap water too high?

With regards to the TDS the reading of 230 PPM was after added the PREIS Discus minerals, while before adding them RO water read at . is this still too high for RO water? The RO system is brand new and the also the filters and membrane.

With regards to the Mosquito Larvae thanks for your heads up i will keep that in mind. I am learning that Discus are much more delicate then other fish!

Also will try to include more frequent water changes.

thanks once again

Registered Member

So this weekend I'm picking up a 125 gallon for $125, I have an empty 55 gallon currently that I plan to make a sump out of using glass from a few spare tanks. I plan on setting up a scaped discus tank using a bunch of driftwood and rocks I have laying around from old planted tanks and attaching a bunch of Anubias to it. This is my first discus tank so my question is how many discus would you recommend for a 125 with a 55 sump and what would be some (in your opinion) ideal tank mates for the setup?

Real Name
    Filip

Hi Kyledamiyen and welcome to the forum .

General and helpfull rule for discus stockin numbers is 10 gallons per discus . So you could end up with a maximum of 15 discus in your tank for the long run IMO .
    But less bioload you have , its easier to maintain a proper water quallity , so that should be also taken in to consideration when stocking your tank.

Ideal tanknmates for discus are ussualy small and peaceful schools of fish like royal tetra , rummy nose tetras,harlequin rasboras , German blue rams etc.etc.

Good luck with your first discus , and keep us posted with pics when you are done .

Registered Member Pompadour Discus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Aja

1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fishkeeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with: My name is Aja, I have about 20+ years experience with fish keeping, but never with Discus. I have a 30G tank now with Pictus catfish, black tail shark, small eel, Marble large Angelfish, and a couple different loaches. I have had larger tanks in the past with cichlids and an Oscar each in 75 and 80 gal tanks. I have zero experience in using a sump for freshwater but that is the route I would like to take with my new Discus.

2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself, e.g. have you read any Stickies in this section of SimplyDiscus, or other material? I found this forum through watching the King of DIY on YT. I have watched just about all his videos and I am so glad he recommended this site it has been the best source of information. I have been following a lot of YT on the subject of Discus and sump setups. I am also reading a couple books, one named The Perfect Aquarium by Jeremy Gay edited by Reader's Digest and the other book is titled Discus World by Chris Ingham. I am currently desperately searching for a step by step guide to building a 40 gallon sump and then plumbing the sump to an overflow box without drilling into tank. I have already purchased and waiting for delivery on a Eshopps overflow setup.

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled. I have a 75gal glass tank by Aqueon. Also a 40 gal tank I plan to use for a DIY sump. It is nowhere near ready for setup. I am still searching for a step by step guide or a YT video to help guide me through the build that has correct measurements for baffles, piping, and airhoses. Haven't found one yet and I have watched at least 50 videos so far. I am not exactly sure how many chambers I should use and I am still researching the media. I have purchased a pump rated 782GPH.

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope. While the discus are still considered Juvenile I plan on having a BB tank but I will tile the bottom. I already have the tile in mind and have ordered a rock background and will probable just have one piece of med-large driftwood in the center. Once they have matured fully I plan to have a nice planted landscape.

5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix. I plan to aged water and Rooibos. I will use my regular tap. I plan to use aged water to perform 50% water changes 2/week.

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc.. I am still in the research phase for the aquarium lights, heaters, and the type of media I want to use. I have found some items on Amazon for Fluval that I like, but haven't narrowed it down to what I will need and what would be proper for this type of fish. I do plan like I stated earlier to build my own 40G sump.

7) If the tank is already setup and running, include the water parameters; Tank is not set up yet. Will be using my tap.

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus?. Planning to have 6 to 7 Discus 4inches in size. I will be purchasing all 6/7 from Kenny around January. I do plan on having tank mates with the Discus but have not chosen breeds just yet.

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis. I am really interested in the type of food that stick right to the side of the tank that I have seen in YT videos. Haven't exactly figured out what type of food it is just yet but if you know and are reading this please please let me know. I was reading a few threads on here about someone named Al that sells premium Discus food, so I may give him a go. I plan to feed 2/day probably beef heart and black worms if I can't figure out what the other food is. I also wrote down a great recipe form king of DIY for Discus I would like to try as well.

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows? LOL is it greedy if I answer yes to all these questions! Eventually I would like to put them in a planted community tank but I am in no rush. I would like to become a hobby breeder, I know it will take a lot of work and time that I am ready to invest. Also in the near future I think it would be great to compete in shows, it would mean I could meet other hobbyist, share experiences and our mutual love for Discus. That would be incredibly fun, of course I would need to get a couple years experience under my belt but I can dream.
    "At the end of the day we are not really fish keepers, but water keepers." - Chris Ingham

Sounds like you're ready to move in all the right directions to succeed with discus.
    Welcome to Simply and best of luck to you.

Registered Member

Hi Aja, here's a link that might help you out on the sump, in some circles he's the master.

http://www.melevsreef.com/category/articles/diy/sumps

Welcome to the forum
    Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution;
    it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny. — Aristotle

Real Name
    Aja

I wanted to update with pics of my current tank but it just says file is too large, for all of my pics. Does anyone know the max size or mg allowed? maybe I can resize it
    "At the end of the day we are not really fish keepers, but water keepers." - Chris Ingham

Real Name
    Steve

Hi Aja,
    The max size for a pic is 2M. You can use various programs to resize them. I resize by selecting the pic and choosing to "share" it by email. The email program then asks what size I want. I choose medium. Once it's attached, I drag it out of the email to my desktop, discard the email draft, and then I can select it when trying to attach it to a post. Maybe roundabout, but I'm not familiar with other resizing programs.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Real Name
    Aja

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Hi Aja,
    The max size for a pic is 2M. You can use various programs to resize them. I resize by selecting the pic and choosing to "share" it by email. The email program then asks what size I want. I choose medium. Once it's attached, I drag it out of the email to my desktop, discard the email draft, and then I can select it when trying to attach it to a post. Maybe roundabout, but I'm not familiar with other resizing programs.
    Thanks I'm trying it now!!20161108_101719-600x337.jpg
    20161108_094155-600x337.jpg
    20161108_093556-600x337.jpg
    20161108_093015-600x337.jpg
    20161108_093039-600x337.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Pompadour Discus View Post
    1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fishkeeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with: My name is Aja, I have about 20+ years experience with fish keeping, but never with Discus. I have a 30G tank now with Pictus catfish, black tail shark, small eel, Marble large Angelfish, and a couple different loaches. I have had larger tanks in the past with cichlids and an Oscar each in 75 and 80 gal tanks. I have zero experience in using a sump for freshwater but that is the route I would like to take with my new Discus.

2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself, e.g. have you read any Stickies in this section of SimplyDiscus, or other material? I found this forum through watching the King of DIY on YT. I have watched just about all his videos and I am so glad he recommended this site it has been the best source of information. I have been following a lot of YT on the subject of Discus and sump setups. I am also reading a couple books, one named The Perfect Aquarium by Jeremy Gay edited by Reader's Digest and the other book is titled Discus World by Chris Ingham. I am currently desperately searching for a step by step guide to building a 40 gallon sump and then plumbing the sump to an overflow box without drilling into tank. I have already purchased and waiting for delivery on a Eshopps overflow setup.

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled. I have a 75gal glass tank by Aqueon. Also a 40 gal tank I plan to use for a DIY sump. It is nowhere near ready for setup. I am still searching for a step by step guide or a YT video to help guide me through the build that has correct measurements for baffles, piping, and airhoses. Haven't found one yet and I have watched at least 50 videos so far. I am not exactly sure how many chambers I should use and I am still researching the media. I have purchased a pump rated 782GPH.

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope. While the discus are still considered Juvenile I plan on having a BB tank but I will tile the bottom. I already have the tile in mind and have ordered a rock background and will probable just have one piece of med-large driftwood in the center. Once they have matured fully I plan to have a nice planted landscape.

5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix. I plan to aged water and Rooibos. I will use my regular tap. I plan to use aged water to perform 50% water changes 2/week.

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc.. I am still in the research phase for the aquarium lights, heaters, and the type of media I want to use. I have found some items on Amazon for Fluval that I like, but haven't narrowed it down to what I will need and what would be proper for this type of fish. I do plan like I stated earlier to build my own 40G sump.

7) If the tank is already setup and running, include the water parameters; Tank is not set up yet. Will be using my tap.

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus?. Planning to have 6 to 7 Discus 4inches in size. I will be purchasing all 6/7 from Kenny around January. I do plan on having tank mates with the Discus but have not chosen breeds just yet.

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis. I am really interested in the type of food that stick right to the side of the tank that I have seen in YT videos. Haven't exactly figured out what type of food it is just yet but if you know and are reading this please please let me know. I was reading a few threads on here about someone named Al that sells premium Discus food, so I may give him a go. I plan to feed 2/day probably beef heart and black worms if I can't figure out what the other food is. I also wrote down a great recipe form king of DIY for Discus I would like to try as well.

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows? LOL is it greedy if I answer yes to all these questions! Eventually I would like to put them in a planted community tank but I am in no rush. I would like to become a hobby breeder, I know it will take a lot of work and time that I am ready to invest. Also in the near future I think it would be great to compete in shows, it would mean I could meet other hobbyist, share experiences and our mutual love for Discus. That would be incredibly fun, of course I would need to get a couple years experience under my belt but I can dream.
    The food you stick on the side are Als freeze dried black worms. Definitely a great food to feed.

As far as plumbing your sump I'd say keep it simple. Since you are using an external overflow box I am pretty sure the eshopps has 1" outlets. I will be doing the same. I was just going to use the eshopps 1" flexible hoses. No need to get crazy with hard plumbing imo and I have tons of plumbing experience so it's not the plumbing aspect that deters me. Again simple is great

Real Name
    Aja

Thanks Ryan!! I could not figure the food thing out, and 1" pipes got it

Registered Member

Default need help

I brought 2 new discus which are a little less than 2 inches without their fins. i have kept them in a 18 inches long and 10 inches tall aquarium which takes a lil more than 40 liters in it. i have a 200w heater , i set that to 30 degree but as my tank is small so the water became lil warm so now i have set that into 26 . i have a filter too and i change 2 liters of water in a day.. i was feed them dry food and live red worms... when i brought them their upper fins were straight but after 2 days i don't see their fins like before ,i find the fins relaxed. only the upper fins. and they do not 40% of the time i find them behind the filter..this is the picture of my fishes i couldn't upload with this caue of an error https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: need help

Quote Originally Posted by Lamarto View Post
    I brought 2 new discus which are a little less than 2 inches without their fins. i have kept them in a 18 inches long and 10 inches tall aquarium which takes a lil more than 40 liters in it. i have a 200w heater , i set that to 30 degree but as my tank is small so the water became lil warm so now i have set that into 26 . i have a filter too and i change 2 liters of water in a day.. i was feed them dry food and live red worms... when i brought them their upper fins were straight but after 2 days i don't see their fins like before ,i find the fins relaxed. only the upper fins. and they do not 40% of the time i find them behind the filter..this is the picture of my fishes i couldn't upload with this caue of an error https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    Hi Lamarto and welcome to this forum.
    It would be better if you fill up the Tank Questionnaire from the beggining of this thread and post your problem in a new thread in a disease section Subforum .
    We can't help without any info on your keeping routines and other valuable info.

Registered Member

1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fishkeeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with.

I have about 5 years of experience with both Freshwater and Reef Tanks. I started with discus, went all saltwater reef nd now I am back to Discus. I want to do it right. I started with about 5 discus and had 1 2 years later.

2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself, e.g. have you read any Stickies in this section of SimplyDiscus, or other material?

I feel that I am new to actually learning to keep Discus.

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled.
    180 gallon reef ready. 72x24x24. 40 gallon sump.
    It has been setup for 3 weeks now.

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope.
    Heavily Planted. (High Tech)
    Substrate - Organic potting soil, Eco-complete, and black sand substrate.

5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix.

40 gallons bi-weekly. Currently using tap water for the minerals and Seachem Prime to detoxify. I still have my RO/DI system from my reefing days.

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc.

Sump with various filter pads, Seachem Pond Matrix and Purigen.

2x300watt Hydor heaters.

72" Odyssea snake eyes LED fixture.

7) If the tank is already setup and running, include the water parameters;

- temp __82___

- tank ph __7.28___

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap __7.6___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading __0__

- well water ____

- municipal water __x__

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus?
    15 Discus from Discus/Angelfish USA (I got 4 from the LFS before I knew better, I lost one before I pulled them from my display and quarantined them)
    2 Blue rams
    15 neon/Cardinal tetras
    10 Serpae tetras
    4 Otos
    6 Cory
    Nerite snails
    1 amano shrimp that keep getting into the sump.
    2 Swordtails.
    1 Betta

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis.

Pellets in an Eheim feeder 3x daily.
    Various frozen foods fed manually. Blood Worms, Omega Carnivore formula, Omega freshwater formula

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows?

To keep Discus in a beautiful healthy planted aquarium. I love the natural filtration that plants provide.
    Last edited by carlII; 12-08-2016 at 05:35 PM. Reason: add color

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by carlII View Post
    1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fishkeeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with.

I have about 5 years of experience with both Freshwater and Reef Tanks. I started with discus, went all saltwater reef nd now I am back to Discus. I want to do it right. I started with about 5 discus and had 1 2 years later.

2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself, e.g. have you read any Stickies in this section of SimplyDiscus, or other material?

I feel that I am new to actually learning to keep Discus.

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled.
    180 gallon reef ready. 72x24x24. 40 gallon sump.
    It has been setup for 3 weeks now.

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope.
    Heavily Planted. (High Tech)
    Substrate - Organic potting soil, Eco-complete, and black sand substrate.

5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix.

40 gallons bi-weekly. Currently using tap water for the minerals and Seachem Prime to detoxify. I still have my RO/DI system from my reefing days.

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc.

Sump with various filter pads, Seachem Pond Matrix and Purigen.

2x300watt Hydor heaters.

72" Odyssea snake eyes LED fixture.

7) If the tank is already setup and running, include the water parameters;

- temp __82___

- tank ph __7.28___

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap __7.6___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading __0__

- well water ____

- municipal water __x__

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus?
    15 Discus from Discus/Angelfish USA (I got 4 from the LFS before I knew better, I lost one before I pulled them from my display and quarantined them)
    2 Blue rams
    15 neon/Cardinal tetras
    10 Serpae tetras
    4 Otos
    6 Cory
    Nerite snails
    1 amano shrimp that keep getting into the sump.
    2 Swordtails.
    1 Betta

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis.

Pellets in an Eheim feeder 3x daily.
    Various frozen foods fed manually. Blood Worms, Omega Carnivore formula, Omega freshwater formula

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows?

To keep Discus in a beautiful healthy planted aquarium. I love the natural filtration that plants provide.
    Hi carlii and welcome to simply discus and discus fish keeping.
    You have a great 180 G tankage that can fit almost everything you like , inside .
    I would like to see some pictures of your current setup and discus in it , so please open a specific thread about your tank with pics and info in the planted subforum or in our tank journals section.
    Good luck with your new fish and experience :-) .

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast