ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Tank Setup Questionaire

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Richard Smith

Default Re: Tank Setup Questionaire

Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fish keeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with.

1) My name is Richard. I started in the hobby in my early twenties but I had to give it up when the kid’s got older plus I really didn’t know what I was doing back then. My daughter gave me a 20 gal tank two years ago and said that I needed to get back into the hobby. The 20 gal was replaced with a 37 gal cube tank with Tiger barbs being the main school of fish but after a heater malfunction that raised my temp to 90 deg over night everything died so I started over with Angel fish and a high quality heater. The 37 gal cube is a vivarium now with submerged and emerged plants, it is used to breed guppies for food. I have always wanted to keep Discus so I began to learn everything I needed to learn in keeping discus a year ago but I have a long way to go. After spending a year in research and practice by keeping Angelfish and breeding them in 2 dkh water with a GH of 4 I purchased my first Discus last month.
    I have a unproven pair of Blue Dimond Discus in my main 75 gal tank and their tank mates are 5 Roseline Shark’s and 6 Black loaches.

2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself, e.g. have you read any Stickies in this section of SimplyDiscus, or other material?

I have done research on how to maintaining high water quality. I have learned about ORP and the RH factor of healthy water. Now that I have found this forum I am hungry to dig into all of the knowledge here at Simply Discus.

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled.
    My main tank is a 75 gal. display tank. The inside dimensions are; 47.25” x 17.25” x 19.5”. Including the filtering system the total amount of water in the tank is 67 gal.
    I also have a 75 gal. BB tank that is split into two separate compartments with a single external filtering system.

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope.

I have a .5” of course rounded sand on the bottom. There are 2 pieces of Fake driftwood that covers the two heaters in each corner. A single piece of fake Driftwood log across the center in the back of the tank. This tank has been set up for over a year. There are silk plants.

5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix.
    I do regular 25% water changes every other day. I use aged RO water I have in two 30 gal. Rubber made trash cans with lids. The water is heated to 82 deg and buffered at 2 dkh with a ph of 6.6

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc.

The main display tank has two 300w heaters in opposite corners controlled by a Ink Bird heater controller set at 29c with a .2c drop in temp before heaters are engaged. The temp probe is in the center of the tank half way to the bottom. The water is pulled from the tank by a Reno Filstar filter. That filter has in the first tray, three 30 micro sponge’s. Second tray 20 micro sponges with a super micro pad. Third tray, Super micro pad with Matrix on top and two carbon bags above it. After the water leaves the Filstar it goes through a true stage 1 TMC UV sterilizer before entering two Fluidized Sand Bed Filters and then into the tank.
    I clean the filter sponges every 2 week and replace them every 2 months. Micro pads are replaced every 2 weeks. The system filters 90 gph
    The lights are TMC Grolights. Two are 8 inches above the water with glass lids covering the tank. There are two others three feet higher to support the live plants outside the tank.

7) If the tank is already setup and running, include the water parameters;

- temp 29.c

- tank ph __6.6___

- Ph of the water. I use 100% RO 6.6

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __.2 - 5 ppm

- well water __no__

- municipal water __yes__

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus?
    I plan on purchasing 6 to 8 Yellow dragon juveniles for the breeding/grow out tank in order to get breeding pairs.
    I have purchased my Blue Dimond pair from “The Reef Aquarium shop” in Indianapolis, In.

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis.

I am feeding SeaChem’s Discus flakes, Spirulina 20 flakes, frozen blood worms, freeze dried tub flex worms, freeze dried black worms.
    I feed a little bit 4 to 5 times a day

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows?

My goal is to breed Blue Dimond and Yellow Dragon discus to sell proven pairs and Juveniles around 5 to 6 inches. I would also like to compete in shows.
    I am 55 and retired so I have a lot of time to dedicate to this hobby.

Real Name
    Filip

Nice and thoroug introduction Richard .
    Welcome to the world of keeping discus and to this forum .
    I'm sure you'll find all the info. you need to fullfil your goal of keeping and breeding discus successfully .
    Yo got plenty of time ahead of you to learn and practice , and that along with the patience is whats most important in this hobby .

As for a first pointer from me , don't use 100% RO unless you remineralise with discus trace or other similar products . 100% is not healthy environment , especially when raising young discus.

Have a good time on this forum and ask questions first , whenever in doubt .
    Last edited by Filip; 12-26-2016 at 03:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    This questionnaire may be used to either help you to describe your new tank setup for discus or
    be a “food for thought” checklist while you consider what your goals are with your new discus tank setup.

1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fishkeeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with. [I started this hobby in 2006. I have kept discus mostly from RockyMountainDiscus and an RO system, with guidance from Al. I moved several times. Now I have locally bought discus and receiving guidance from Simply Discus.]

2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself, e.g. have you read any Stickies in this section of SimplyDiscus, or other material?

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled. [After listening to Simply Discus fellow travelers with my 60gallon tank, I created a pristine tank and noticed a pair spawning, so I am setting up a 20 gallon tank for their privacy. I want to set this new tank up properly. What do you think? Please read below. ]

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope. [I am worried about setting up this tank because it is my first 'couples' tank. It has a sponge filter, pleco (for help cycling), a driftwood (so he can hide), and a heater in it. Three sides are covered with foil. It is BB. I am using a jumpstart cycle substrate recommended from my pet shop owner. Here is the part I am worried about...I put a piece of foam from my original community tank inside the new tank thinking it would help bring in good bacteria, but now I am second guessing myself.

5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix. [I set up the new tank two days ago. I put half water from old tank and half water from tap. I put a dichloride substrate in it too. Tomorrow will be day three of the jumpstart cycle substrate. Do you think I should do a WC? I plan to do 50% WC once the discus pair get there. I also ordered a TDS meter and a breeding cone.]

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc. [I am using a brand new sponge right now with the cycle solution to help jumpstart the process. I will only use a sponge the entire time. I have a heater on at 85 degrees. I have a deep blue light on. ]

- temp __85___

- tank ph _____

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap _____

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

I will measure these tomorrow. I am dog sitting tonight at my cousin's house.

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus? [Two red blood 5 inch pigeons only. I bought them from G&G Aquatics in Centerville, VA. ]

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis. [FDBlackW (am), homemade BH (afternoon and night) called Discus Dream by Al from RockyMountainDiscus. I will use a vac after the feedings or do a WC. ]

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows?
    [My goal is to have a community tank. Right now I will have four in there (blue diamond 3 in, blue turquoise 4 in, melon 3 in, red blood pigeon 4.5 in. My other goal is to nurture a pair in a separate tank, and my dream would be to compete. ]
    Last edited by kimberly; 12-28-2016 at 01:36 AM. Reason: spelling
    Be kind.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    This questionnaire may be used to either help you to describe your new tank setup for discus or
    be a “food for thought” checklist while you consider what your goals are with your new discus tank setup.

1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fishkeeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with.

Hi folks, I am very new to discus, though I have admired them from afar for years. I am just now taking the plunge into discus parenthood. I have a tropical 55 tanks with gouramis and tetras as dithers, I have had that tank for 5 years. With the dithers changing as life expectancy come and go. I had a 75 salt with clowns, chromis and banji and some softie corals. I maintained that for two years but I have chosen to dismantle it and move to Discus. that 75 has been cleaned and is now being set up for my discus.

I have been reading up here and several videos online.

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled.

I am going with a BB 75 gal with a 20 refugium set up below. I will have a sock and charcoal filter pack / miracle mud and java moss

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope.

BB with driftwood and java moss maybe a few other plants

5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix.

I own a RODI from the saltwater days. I have changed about 30 gal each week on the salt so thought this might continue to work on Discus. Do I need to mix tap with RODI? I age water for the tropicals because the pH wasn't good for them

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc. see above with heater and salt water coral lights and moon light

- temp _____

- tank ph _____

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus?

I plan, after my aquarium has turned, to have 6 discus maybe a couple brushy nose and congos for dither.

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis. plan to feed small amounts often as I have family home all day.

It this point, I plan only to be a hobbist not a breeder. I want to enjoy the beauty of these magnificent fish.

Registered Member

1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fishkeeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with.
    Hello. My name is An. In the past I kept Angels and Clown Loaches mostly. I did keep Discus briefly but I wasn’t able to care for them properly so I sold them. I have been in the hobby for about 7 years. I’m currently looking to keep again now that I have the time to devote to them.

I have done a lot of research on it as well as watching the “How to keep Discus” video multiple time.

75 gallon display tank (48”x18”x21”) and a 20gal sump. Currently still cycling. It’s been about 1 week. It is being cycled with media from an existing tank.

Brown Flourite substrate, lightly planted, big spider wood piece.

Water changes will be once a week at first and will do more if water test indicating more is needed. 50% once a week with RO water treated with Seachem Acid Buffer and Alkaline buffer and Discus Trace.

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc.
    Sump. First mechanically filter by Pinky filter pad then 2 4” 200 micron sock. Heated by 2 200watt heater. Biologically filter by 10lbs of ceramic rings. 13watt UV sterilizer. Co2 reactor running at 2 bubbles per second. There will also be catappa leaves placed in the sump.

- temp __82___

- tank ph 7.6 (this what is currently in the tank. It was 70% RO and 30% tap. Will be doing water changes with only RO water every other day until PH is around 6.6-6.8. RO water is at 6.8 ph.

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap 7.8 (after aging for a day it’s around 8.4)

- ammonia reading .25ppm

- nitrite reading 0 ppm

- nitrate reading 0 ppm

- GH reading 3

- KH Reading 4

- well water ____

- municipal water X

Currently no Discus. Just 6 nerite snails and 6 Amano Shrimps. 6 Cardinal Tetras, 4 Otocinclus, 4 German Blue Rams, and 3 Siamese Algae Eater are in quarantine treated with general cure for worms (3 week quarantine, 1 more week to go) Looking to get 4 5”+ Discus. I will look at Uncle Sam’s Discus first as he’s only 6 hours from me. But I can order it from Kenny’s Discus if Uncle Sam’s isn’t right for me.

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis.
    Twice a day with New Life Spectrum Thera+A. Also Hikari Frozen bloodworms and mysis shrimps as treats once or twice a week.

I just want to keep a beautiful group of discus in a planted tank. If they do breed, I will move the frys to a separate tank.
    Last edited by anngocta; 01-20-2017 at 02:44 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Greg

1) Hello everyone, I just joined and my name is Greg. I have extensive experience in saltwater tanks including shark tanks, reefs, fish only etc. I recently moved to Kentucky (work promotion) and am currently doing a fishless cycle on a 75 gallon tank. I am actually cycling the media in 3 separate 32 gallon Rubbermaid containers. I have always wanted to have a discus set up and I am on my way!

2) I have done extensive research on the web regarding all aspects of keeping discus including threads on Simply Discus prior to joining. I have also called several breeders/sellers for input and advice. The is how I learned about the fishless cycle.

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled. Again, a 75 gallon tank with internal overflow that leads to a Bashsea Biofuge sump. I plan on having a bare bottom tank with manzita driftwood hanging on the back with perhaps some plants attached. The refugium will have water sprite and perhaps a couple other plants for nitrate reduction. I have lots of bio maxx and pot scrubbers being cycled with ACE ammonia in separate containers as previously mentioned. I have been cycling for about 3 weeks.

4) Bare bottom, some attached driftwood,refugium, tap water aged with prime,

5) Water changes TBD. I have read all kinds of WC suggestions so I know it will be somewhere between 25 % and 50 % every few days.

6) Lighting is LED by Beamswork, refugium light by Finnex, 2 x Eheim thermometers (for disaster recovery), pH and temp monitoring,

- temp 86F

- tank ph 7.8

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap 7.8

- ammonia reading 4

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading 0

- well water N/A

- municipal water

8) I plan on keeping anywhere from 6 to 15 adult discus…….again, I have read MANY different theories about stocking levels and plan to continue to nail it down and welcome input. I have looked at Hans Discus, Mac’s discus, Chicago Discus to name a few and welcome any other suggestions.

9) Feeding schedule will depend on size/age of the discus from what I have researched. I was originally going to buy 2.5 inch discus but have learned that may not be wise in the size of tank I have. I am now leaning towards 3.5 to 4 inch fish. Any input welcome.

10) My first goal is to keep these beautiful fish alive! Once that objective is met, I would love to try to breed discus.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

My name is Cyrus. I've been in the hobby for just over a year now. I've kept a great saltwater tank, butterfly telescope goldfish, and the classic beta fish. I've got an angelfish tank as well, and now i've got an angel fish and discus tank.

I've never kept discus before, but I did several months of research and I have read almost all of the stickies.

I have a 60 gallon tank. 4 feet long by 1 foot deep by 2 feet tall. The tank has been set up for a few weeks now.

When I originally started I did have black gravel on the bottom. I recently switched that to a bare bottom. As of now I've got one fake plant in the center of the tank.

I'm doing water changes once to twice a week of 50%. I use RO water
    With discus trace.

Are use a canister filter with the pre-filter sponge and a spray bar on the return. I've got a heater that's rated for up to 100 gallons

- temp _84

- tank ph _7.4

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap __7.6

- ammonia reading _0

- nitrite reading _0

- nitrate reading _0

- well water _No

- municipal water _yes

I currently have eight angel fish and four discus. I plan on eventually ending with six discus. I bought the disc is from my local fish store that breeds them. They are a very reputable location. The disc is I have our 3 to 4 inches.

I currently feel once a day, however only one of the four discus is actually eating. Which is starting to make me concerned. I feed discus flake as well as frozen worm.

Right now my goals are just to get all of the discus eating and hopefully eventually end up with a breeding pair. I think it would be great to become a hobby breeder.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Laurie Scott

Hello All,

Pat and crew thank you for creating this and giving us newbies a starting point.

1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fish-keeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with.

A1) I have been a hobbyist since I was very young. However I have many interests so rarely keep more then one tank at a time. I have also had many successful ponds that featured various species. I started with community tanks then Cichlids. I was toying with the idea of a marine tank but after much reading have gladly settled on Discus. I have a strong feeling that I will want to stick with them for a long time.

A2) I have been reading and need to do more before I start to introduce fish this fall.

A3) The 'new' tank is a standard 90 gal which fits well in our new downsized home. We are empty nesters now.

A4) I am interested in doing a biotope with live plants and roots.

A5) I usually do a weekly water chance depending on the fish stocked and their requirements along with inches of fish per gallon. I would appreciate any suggestions that you all might have. I can use either RO or tap with filter.

A6) I would appreciate some guidance in this area. I want to build it 'right' from the start.

A7) n/a

A8) I live in northern Colorado so I am looking for guidance in this are as well.

A9) I do understand that Discus juveniles require many feeding throughout the day. This will work well for me as I work from home and so I am able to do the daily care that is needed. Again looking for guidance.

A10) At this point I just want a beautiful healthy planted tank to enjoy (in our living room). You never know where life will take you so I will leave the future open to possibilities.

Real Name
    Steve

Hi Laurie and welcome to SD!
    I'm a Moderator on the forum, but for me that mostly means I try to help make sure things run smoothly around here, rather than being any sort of expert. I have a few thoughts then which are just my own suggestions.

I think the best think you can do since you seem to be taking your time, is to hang out here and read as much as you can, and ask questions.

Your tank size sounds great. For adult fish, 10 gallons per fish is recommended.

At that tank size, I think considering a sump may be a good option, but I'll let others advise on that since sumps are not my part of my experience.

Discus are beautiful fish, and many people approach keeping them as "living art" in a planted display tank. There is nothing wrong with that, but if that's the way you plan to go, then there are some common recommendations for success. Planted is not my area, but again, I encourage you to read a lot of the experiences of others in the Planted/Biotope section. Folks are encouraged to approach keeping a planted tank and keeping discus separately at first until they have a good handle on both. Discus thrive in clean water. Your filtration system will be important, but frequent water changes of over 50% is the norm. Organics that accumulate in substrate can be a source of pathogens, and many folks keep discus in bare bottom tanks for this reason. It becomes all about the fish. Juvies require even more freguent water changes, and they are more susceptible to pathogens, and so raising them in a planted tank is highly discouraged. Adults are the usual recommendation for planted tanks.

RO is mainly used to reduce the total dissolved solids (tds) if you're breeding. Discus will usually acclimate to your tap water, assuming it's been conditioned to account for chlorine/chloramines or nitrates, even if it's hard or the pH is high. Stable pH is recommended, so people usually test their water out of the tap, and then after being aged/aireated for a day to see if the pH swings. If it does more than about .4, then folks age their water before using it.

I hope others will chime in and offer their experience, but this should give you a couple things to think about.

Oh, also, pics are usually required when you're ready

Steve
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Registered Member

1) Hi there, I'm Kristen and have been in the hobby for a few years. I have had a successful mixed community tank (75g) and a not so successful african cichlid tank. I have never had discus!

2) Research-wise I have done a lot of reading this forum, it seems to be the most complete source of info I can find! Thank you so much to the experts and experienced hobbyists who post here, it is so helpful.

3) I have a 125g display tank, it is 6ft long, it has been setup and cycled for 2 months

4) Pool sand substrate, manzanita driftwood, a few floating plants (frogbit and water spangles), some vals which I may remove

5) I plan to water change 75% 2-3 times a week (currently 40% once a week), with siphoning, and conditioning with Amquel+ and Nova Aqua +. I have been using tap water to water change by putting a 5 gallon bucket in the sink, matching the temp out of the tap to the tank and filling the bucket, and using a hose and gravity from that bucket to another 5g bucket on the floor next to the tank. A pump sitting in the bucket on the floor pumps water up into the tank. I bought and plan to use a 200 micron sock on the output of that to avoid the microbubbles. Python doesn’t fit on my sinks, so this is my best option for WC, it works well.

6)
    • Eheim 2262 canister filter
    • Double sponge filter (ordered not yet in tank)
    • 2 heaters, temperature 83 degrees
    • 2 small powerheads on the side of the outflow to move water and waste towards the filter
    • Air bubble wand buried under the substrate (won't stay buried right now!)
    • Lighting is an LED strip with the config 66x 10000K, 12x Actinic 460nm … I don’t really know what these numbers mean but I got some floating plants to try to diffuse the light because it seems bright

- temp __83___

- tank ph __8___

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap __7.4___ **more on this at the bottom of the post**

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __5-20__

- well water ____

- municipal water __X__

- GH is 12 and KH is 6

8) Current stock: 5 sterbai cories, 5 ottocats, 1 BN pleco, 3 rams (GBR ish), 50 cardinal tetras. I’m considering removing the pleco (lots of poop) and ottocats (if they suck on the discus).
    My plan: I do not have a quarantine setup so I thought the last fish I would add would be the discus, and I would get them all at once, from a reputable breeder. I plan to get a school of 8, 4-4.5 inches.

9) I plan to feed Cobalt flakes in the morning, Al’s FDBW right after work, and late night Al’s discus chow. I feed the current fish Cobalt flakes and Hikari frozen blood worms.

10) My goal is to have a nice display tank for myself, I just want to keep the discus successfully

I have a question with my pH. I’ve been reading up on it and returned the Acid Buffer that I bought based on the advice of this forum, which is to not mess with pH. Please see this image for my pH test results: http://imgur.com/a/q1Z2p
    My guess as to the readings is:
    • Straight tap: 7.4
    • Aged 5 minutes (5 minutes in my WC bucket with agitation): 7.8
    • Tank water: 8
    • Aged 24 hours: 8.2

My question is, based on this, what do you think of my plan to not age my water? It seems the “aged 5 minutes” is very close to the tank, so my WC method where I agitate the water with the two buckets and the pump produces water close enough. I may be convincing myself this because I really don’t have anywhere to put an aging barrel, no closets, no room under the tank, my husband would never be ok with leaving one “out” lol so there is just no way. If I have to age my water I think I will probably not buy the discus. I’d really appreciate any feedback on my tank setup, stocking, feeding plan, and especially water and whether I can get by without aging or not.

Thank you for reading!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Leon

2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself, e.g. have you read any Stickies in this section of SimplyDiscus, or other material? I have done some research

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled. 150 gallon, not set up yet. I have a well and a softener.

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope. most likely bare bottom, maybe a little sand substrate

5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix. Purchased RODI water filter.

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc. I am here because i need suggestions on filter types. I read discus do not like lot of flow.

- temp _____

- tank ph _____

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus? Not usre on proper about for a 150 gallon long tank would be.

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows? Would like to keep a colorful and healthy discus tank.

Welcome to the forum, Leon.
    Since your plan is for either bare-bottom or a light sand layer, it seems like you will be maintaining a simplistic discus tank - which is great - so filtration is no large problem even for a 150 gal. tank.
    Perhaps you will be happy with 2 or 3 large sponge filters which will do the job just fine.
    How many discus are you planning to have in that tank.
    When you get closer to setting up, suggest you go through the list of sponsors here to find a quality discus supplier nearest your location.
    All the best to you.

Registered Member

I would like to begin by saying how amazing this is for us newbies. I have so few posts that talking about anything that isn't my own tank just doesn't seem right.
    My name is Kevin and i have been keeping fish for about 5 years. My current tanks include a 120 gallon with three 9" Red Bellied Piranha, a 45 gallon goldfish tank, my 20 gallon feeder tank(Piranha) and my 6 month old 55 gallon discus grow out.

Most of my research on discus began after purchase. I found fish online from Steve MacDonald at Macs discus and was struck by how cool they where. I have been reading as many posts on SD as possible and asking attempting to right my wrongs and avoid catastrophe. I thank each and every person who has posted on here for the overwhelming sense of community and the vast depth of knowledge shown in each post.

The tank is 55 gallons 48x12x20 grow out. Set up for 2 months before fish with cycled filter and one sponge. Fully cycled at 6 weeks 2 weeks prior to fish arrival. I have had the fish for 4 months.

BB with nothing but intake outtake heaters and sponge. 8 foot LED dimming and multi color runs for 6 hours per day

75% water changes 5 times per week with 24 hour aged tap water
    Filtration is one Fluvial G6 (180 GPH) canister and one sponge. Heaters are one 200 watt and one 100 watt. 8 foot LED dimmable and multi color runs for 6 hours per day

- temp __29 C 86 F___

- tank ph __6.5__

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap __7___

- ammonia reading __0_

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading __0-5__

5 discus 3 inches from Macs Discus Washington USA
    3-4 times daily tetra min tropical flakes and tetrcolor tropical granules.
    I would like to try and grow these fish out and breed for the soul purpose of proving to myself that i can do it

To my expert hobbyists, tell me whats right, tell me whats wrong i will do my best to be my best.

Quote Originally Posted by KevsDiscus View Post
    I would like to begin by saying how amazing this is for us newbies. I have so few posts that talking about anything that isn't my own tank just doesn't seem right.
    My name is Kevin and i have been keeping fish for about 5 years. My current tanks include a 120 gallon with three 9" Red Bellied Piranha, a 45 gallon goldfish tank, my 20 gallon feeder tank(Piranha) and my 6 month old 55 gallon discus grow out.

Most of my research on discus began after purchase. I found fish online from Steve MacDonald at Macs discus and was struck by how cool they where. I have been reading as many posts on SD as possible and asking attempting to right my wrongs and avoid catastrophe. I thank each and every person who has posted on here for the overwhelming sense of community and the vast depth of knowledge shown in each post.

The tank is 55 gallons 48x12x20 grow out. Set up for 2 months before fish with cycled filter and one sponge. Fully cycled at 6 weeks 2 weeks prior to fish arrival. I have had the fish for 4 months.

BB with nothing but intake outtake heaters and sponge. 8 foot LED dimming and multi color runs for 6 hours per day

75% water changes 5 times per week with 24 hour aged tap water
    Filtration is one Fluvial G6 (180 GPH) canister and one sponge. Heaters are one 200 watt and one 100 watt. 8 foot LED dimmable and multi color runs for 6 hours per day

- temp __29 C 86 F___

- tank ph __6.5__

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap __7___

- ammonia reading __0_

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading __0-5__

5 discus 3 inches from Macs Discus Washington USA
    3-4 times daily tetra min tropical flakes and tetrcolor tropical granules.
    I would like to try and grow these fish out and breed for the soul purpose of proving to myself that i can do it

To my expert hobbyists, tell me whats right, tell me whats wrong i will do my best to be my best.
    Welcome. Your setup sounds pretty good. Only thing I would suggest is add more to your feeding regiment if you really want to grow these guys. Definitely get some of Als fdbw. Beefheart is great for growth although messy. Als discus chow or bio gold are really good as well.

How's the G6 working out for you? Mine ended up with issues pretty quickly. I got a warranty replacement but I replaced it with an eheim pro 4+ 600. I feel the eheim is a far better filter. Hopefully that G6 works out I've read a lot of issues with them unfortunately after I'd already purchased and ran mine
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by kristen View Post
    1) Hi there, I'm Kristen and have been in the hobby for a few years. I have had a successful mixed community tank (75g) and a not so successful african cichlid tank. I have never had discus!

2) Research-wise I have done a lot of reading this forum, it seems to be the most complete source of info I can find! Thank you so much to the experts and experienced hobbyists who post here, it is so helpful.

3) I have a 125g display tank, it is 6ft long, it has been setup and cycled for 2 months

4) Pool sand substrate, manzanita driftwood, a few floating plants (frogbit and water spangles), some vals which I may remove

5) I plan to water change 75% 2-3 times a week (currently 40% once a week), with siphoning, and conditioning with Amquel+ and Nova Aqua +. I have been using tap water to water change by putting a 5 gallon bucket in the sink, matching the temp out of the tap to the tank and filling the bucket, and using a hose and gravity from that bucket to another 5g bucket on the floor next to the tank. A pump sitting in the bucket on the floor pumps water up into the tank. I bought and plan to use a 200 micron sock on the output of that to avoid the microbubbles. Python doesn’t fit on my sinks, so this is my best option for WC, it works well.

6)
    • Eheim 2262 canister filter
    • Double sponge filter (ordered not yet in tank)
    • 2 heaters, temperature 83 degrees
    • 2 small powerheads on the side of the outflow to move water and waste towards the filter
    • Air bubble wand buried under the substrate (won't stay buried right now!)
    • Lighting is an LED strip with the config 66x 10000K, 12x Actinic 460nm … I don’t really know what these numbers mean but I got some floating plants to try to diffuse the light because it seems bright

- temp __83___

- tank ph __8___

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap __7.4___ **more on this at the bottom of the post**

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __5-20__

- well water ____

- municipal water __X__

- GH is 12 and KH is 6

8) Current stock: 5 sterbai cories, 5 ottocats, 1 BN pleco, 3 rams (GBR ish), 50 cardinal tetras. I’m considering removing the pleco (lots of poop) and ottocats (if they suck on the discus).
    My plan: I do not have a quarantine setup so I thought the last fish I would add would be the discus, and I would get them all at once, from a reputable breeder. I plan to get a school of 8, 4-4.5 inches.

9) I plan to feed Cobalt flakes in the morning, Al’s FDBW right after work, and late night Al’s discus chow. I feed the current fish Cobalt flakes and Hikari frozen blood worms.

10) My goal is to have a nice display tank for myself, I just want to keep the discus successfully

I have a question with my pH. I’ve been reading up on it and returned the Acid Buffer that I bought based on the advice of this forum, which is to not mess with pH. Please see this image for my pH test results: http://imgur.com/a/q1Z2p
    My guess as to the readings is:
    • Straight tap: 7.4
    • Aged 5 minutes (5 minutes in my WC bucket with agitation): 7.8
    • Tank water: 8
    • Aged 24 hours: 8.2

My question is, based on this, what do you think of my plan to not age my water? It seems the “aged 5 minutes” is very close to the tank, so my WC method where I agitate the water with the two buckets and the pump produces water close enough. I may be convincing myself this because I really don’t have anywhere to put an aging barrel, no closets, no room under the tank, my husband would never be ok with leaving one “out” lol so there is just no way. If I have to age my water I think I will probably not buy the discus. I’d really appreciate any feedback on my tank setup, stocking, feeding plan, and especially water and whether I can get by without aging or not.

Thank you for reading!
    Hi guys, I posted a little bit ago and haven't heard back from y'all (see the quote). I am still concerned about the pH question, actually I measured my pH in the tank 24 hours after a water change yesterday and it was 7.4! We just had a huge storm here with minor flooding and I wonder if it impacted the pH out of the tap, I wish I had measured it then. Anyways, any thoughts? I'd really appreciate some advice!

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast