AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: why beef heart why not chicken

Default Re: why beef heart why not chicken

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryblonde View Post
    The only nutritional difference in beef liver, compared to beef heart is that Beef Liver contains about 396mg of cholesterol per serving (100 grams) while Beef Heart contains about 124mg of cholesterol for the same size serving (100grams).

I have no idea if discus are prone to health problems from the ingestion of high levels of cholesterol. Beyond that one factor though, the two organ meats are nearly identical in all other nutritional aspects.

When it comes to Chicken Heart vs. Beef Heart, the cholesterol levels are the same, but the fat content of 100grams of Chicken Hearts is more than double the fat content of Beef Heart.
    Thank you for the constructive reply. I would also like to know if something like chicken liver harms a discus over a long period of time since it is higher in cholesterol. I would guess that it doesn't since i feed liver to my flowerhorn breeders and haven't had no ill effect on them at all. The reason i think livers may be better for discus than heart meat is that though the muscle fiber of heart meat is relatively smooth in texture, it still is not as soft and smooth as the tissue in liver. The breakdown and absortion of liver tissue by the fish is going to be alot more effective (in my opinion) than that of heart tissue. I also notice a (more proccessed) waste producted with liver than with heart. Liver is indeed a bit more messy but a good established bio filter will mop it up in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbobaggins View Post
    There are soooo many situations where this is wrong, lol. If discus keepers lived by this code then most peeps would still be using a pan to artificially feed fry in like Wattley used to do in the old days, not to mention all the other advancement in methods the hobby has taken.
    do you think you are the first person to think of this?!?!

17 threads.. have at it
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/search...earchid=972876

do you have pics of your discus that eat liver?
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    do you think you are the first person to think of this?!?!

17 threads.. have at it
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/search...earchid=972876

do you have pics of your discus that eat liver?
    My discus dont eat liver, they wont touch it. My discus dont eat beaf heart, they wont touch it. As stated above, my flowerhorns eat liver. Ofcourse they eat anything i throw in the tank, lol. I dont need to.... "have at it". I can... "have at it" in this thread with those people who want to post something constructive like strawberryblonde did. If you have something constructive to add to the subject then feel free to.... "have at it". Otherwise you are wasting a brutha's time.

17 threads on ur topic is very constructive...
    do u need a spoon too?
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

17 threads on ur topic is very constructive...
    do u need a spoon too?
    My topic? Wasn't my topic. If you look at my first post in this thread i agreed with a guy that i would like for others to share with us (here in this thread) if they indeed use liver. That was it.. that was all. You following statments were odd and out of place at best. Now shoo off and be gone pest, lol.

Not to mention your link doesn't even work. It tells me there are no matches.

Ignore feature is.grand!
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Ignore feature is.grand!
    finally

Registered Member

Save the chicken hearts for me. Yum! My grandma puts them in her soup, and I'm the only one to actively seek them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Element77 View Post
    Save the chicken hearts for me. Yum! My grandma puts them in her soup, and I'm the only one to actively seek them out.
    Oh my... i have hated liver since i was a young kid! My parents used to make me eat that crap. My fish seem to love them though! It also makes them grow faster than when i have them on beef heart. I will probably start feeding my Ring Leopard grow outs liver today. My Blue Scorpion pair wont touch it.

I love chicken liver. I asked the question about liver earlier as I was preparing chicken liver for dinner and I was thinking this is cheap and may be just as good as beef heart and a lot less cleaning. But with raw chicken parts, there's always a concern for bacterias.

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Registered Member

Just my two cents, I have discussed with some guys who collect fish down in Brazil, and my own feeling on it.... feeding beef heart is not that healthy for fish. Yes it is lean for beef, but still very fatty for fish diets. If you ever get the chance, open a dead discus fed on BH and you can see how fatty their liver has become. Guys like Jack Wattley started the beef heart thing (actually he started with dog food) back in the day, and it just stuck even though Jack himself has moved on and says BH is not that good - he believes high quality dry food is fine. There was an article written by Jack in some fish magazine a few months ago saying that. Jack moved on long time ago.

If you want to feed your discus raw food, a seafood mix(with mostly fish meal), earth worms and mysis shrimp are good. Dry food is good too. I think that resembles what discus would eat in the wild better, not beef or chicken. Sure BH gives you good growth, but just like a human - if I ate steak 3 times a day, outside I would look fine - but inside my heart/organs would be screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by brianyam View Post
    Just my two cents, I have discussed with some guys who collect fish down in Brazil, and my own feeling on it.... feeding beef heart is not that healthy for fish. Yes it is lean for beef, but still very fatty for fish diets. If you ever get the chance, open a dead discus fed on BH and you can see how fatty their liver has become. Guys like Jack Wattley started the beef heart thing (actually he started with dog food) back in the day, and it just stuck even though Jack himself has moved on and says BH is not that good - he believes high quality dry food is fine. There was an article written by Jack in some fish magazine a few months ago saying that. Jack moved on long time ago.

If you want to feed your discus raw food, a seafood mix(with mostly fish meal), earth worms and mysis shrimp are good. Dry food is good too. I think that resembles what discus would eat in the wild better, not beef or chicken. Sure BH gives you good growth, but just like a human - if I ate steak 3 times a day, outside I would look fine - but inside my heart/organs would be screwed.
    Yes beafheart has actually been frowned on for many years now. Even in the flowerhorn world beef heart has been frowned on for many years. This being said, there are people that swear by it and will not ever give it up. Me personally, i dont like beef heart that much but i still do support it. I personally do not feel it is like a human eating steak every day since beefheart mixture for fish consist of so much more. Veggies, vitamins and minerals are in most. So to me the proper comparison would be a human eating steak every day along with other things that would make up a complete meal consisting of carbs, fats, protiens, trace ellements, vitamins and minerals. Kind of like the slop they ate on the movie (The Matrix)...."everything a body needs", lol.

That being said... i have a liver mixture that, so far, seems to be excellent for my fish that eat it. Once i test it on my ring leopards for another few months ill give my two cents on it. However, i think even long term, it will be excellent for them as well. Any high cholesterol will be absorbed by the fish with a regular fasting regiment.

Registered Member

are the wild discus eat cheicken or beef heart:..... Thats not available in nature..
    So why to feed them someting not familiar?
    I prefere to go more natural

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

For those of you that thinks it is unhealthy what is the oldest discus that ya'll have ever raised on the new and improved discus diet that is completely lacking of BH?

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast