ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: why beef heart why not chicken

Default Re: why beef heart why not chicken

So tetra bits are natural? You can pick them off a tree?
    Quote Originally Posted by kamel_007 View Post
    are the wild discus eat cheicken or beef heart:..... Thats not available in nature..
    So why to feed them someting not familiar?
    I prefere to go more natural
    Steve T

chop meat, carry water

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by magewynd View Post
    So tetra bits are natural? You can pick them off a tree?
    not natural,
    but blood worms, black worms, are natural

Quote Originally Posted by kamel_007 View Post
    are the wild discus eat cheicken or beef heart:..... Thats not available in nature..
    So why to feed them someting not familiar?
    I prefere to go more natural
    Everything we do about keeping discus is unatural and out of place, from the glass box we keep them in to the filtration methods we chose, its all unatural.... but it works. It works because their needs to thrive are supplied. The same can be said about beef heart mixture.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbobaggins View Post

That being said... i have a liver mixture that, so far, seems to be excellent for my fish that eat it. Once i test it on my ring leopards for another few months ill give my two cents on it. However, i think even long term, it will be excellent for them as well. Any high cholesterol will be absorbed by the fish with a regular fasting regiment.
    Why would you feed a food thats off the charts with cholesterol and then make them fast? That makes no sense

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DerekFF View Post
    Why would you feed a food thats off the charts with cholesterol and then make them fast? That makes no sense

the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. liver does not seem to be in that path.

not saying that there aren't better options to beefheart but i don't think you are headed in the right direction.

Because fasting is good for your fish no matter what you feed them and i have been doing it for years and years. I fast myself. Almost all animals go without food at periods of times in their lives and there are several benifits to this. Fasting is a good thing not a bad thing. This is whether you feed beafheart, liver, tetra bits, or whatever it is you chose to feed. As long as it contains some of the things the fish needs for a healthy life and as long as you make up the difference with other nutrition that your fish also needs, then the extra cholesterol is irrelevant because fasting "which should be done regardless" takes care of impurities the fish gets from your food.
    Though liver has higher cholesterol than beafheart, beafeart has higher cholesterol than shrimp, and so on and so forth. Who has the highest cholesterol is irrelevant. Who has cholesterol so high that it kills the fish is rellevant.
    Last edited by Bilbo; 06-11-2012 at 05:45 AM.

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

I assume that you meant to say fat and not fast.........First off BH is used because it is extremely lean. It is not super high in cholesterol......Even if it was it would not matter. Discus don't live long enough for cholesterol to matter. I have heard of them making it to 15. I have had one that made it to 12. Hell I even had a female spawn at the age of 8. All of them had been raised eating a diet that was about 99% BH.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    I assume that you meant to say fat and not fast.........First off BH is used because it is extremely lean. It is not super high in cholesterol......Even if it was it would not matter. Discus don't live long enough for cholesterol to matter. I have heard of them making it to 15. I have had one that made it to 12. Hell I even had a female spawn at the age of 8. All of them had been raised eating a diet that was about 99% BH.

-john
    John,

I don't think he is referring to beef heart. He is talking about feeding liver and then fasting that is suggested by Billogaggins. The dicussion when from BH vs Chicken heart to now liver.

If liver works for him, great. Love to see long term effect of usage over 1-2 years.. and not on a few discus.. lol
    Last edited by DiscusOnly; 06-11-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Thanks and I agree with you...LOL. If these youngsters want to try something new then by all means do something different and once you know if it works or not then talk about it....Isn't that we all learned in the past?

-john

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member

Well, I feed chicken heart for the last feed of the day, juveniles love em. So ea... I will keep doing so LOL.
    Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes

Registered Member

Well, like anything, it is just probability. Just because one smokes, doesn't mean 100% your going to die from lung cancer - but your probably for sure goes up to get cancer. Just because you see a discus that lives long with BH, doesn't mean BH is good for it. and vice versa. So many factors also come to play. water quality, genetics.

I am not sure why there is so much focus to give Discus so much protein? Why BH? Some even add raw eggs, shrimp, livers..etc.etc. I mean, these fish are eating more protein than humans/animals do. I have a dog, I wouldn't feed eat BH/egg/liver 3 time a day. Maybe as a treat, but not daily. And for sure not farm animals ( too high in fat).

I fish allot, and the discus is really the sunfish of North America. Sun fish eat insects, small worms, small fish..etc..etc. These food sources don't have animal fat.

Like I said, the dude that started beef heart, Jack wattley, even said he has moved on. He said the reason he had to play with things as those days there was no good dry food and not a great understanding of discus those days.

Not only that, I find beef heart is like playing with fire with water quality. You have to do daily water changes when you use beef heart and not the greatest for display tanks with substrate, plants, wood..etc. It is good for a simple bare bottom static tank, where you clean every un eaten piece. You miss a few, or feed too much, it really screws the water. When you feed dry food, doing WC twice a week is fine.

Anyways, just my two cents, whatever works for anyone.

Registered Member

BTW - Its all relative. Beef heart is lean for beef meat, but is not lean for fish diets. When people say beef heart is lean, they mean in the context for human consumption compared to rib eye, flank..etc. Please anyone who says beef heart is lean for fish is to find an actual certified animal/fish expert (perhaps working at an aquarium/zoo) that says beef heart is lean for fish?

Just because they eat it, doesn't mean it is good for them. My kid would love to eat cake at every meal, so what?

Fellow it was not just one. I have owned lots of discus though the years. The only year that that I really counted I sold 6000 discus. See my experience is based on literally thousands of discus. Not just a handful....If you want to do something different then by all means do so....See how well it works and then comeback and tell everyone how great your new method is. You can absolutely raise discus without BH. Are they healthier? happier? spawn more? live longer?.....nope they will not be superior in any manner.

-john

SOS Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    Fellow it was not just one. I have owned lots of discus though the years. The only year that that I really counted I sold 6000 discus. See my experience is based on literally thousands of discus. Not just a handful....If you want to do something different then by all means do so....See how well it works and then comeback and tell everyone how great your new method is. You can absolutely raise discus without BH. Are they healthier? happier? spawn more? live longer?.....nope they will not be superior in any manner.

-john
    LOL>.

Book smart vs street smart..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    LOL>.

Book smart vs street smart..
    John just threw a discus punch to the throat!!

Last edited by DerekFF; 06-11-2012 at 12:22 PM.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast