AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tankless water heater and whole house filter...?

Default Tankless water heater and whole house filter...?

So, if I want to remove the step of aging tap water...

Can I just buy: Tankless water heater and whole house filter with chlorine filter...?

I should measure the tap PH vs aged PH to make sure there is no difference. Otherwise, is there anything else to worry about?

Just tested straight tap vs aged... Same ph.

Default Re: Tankless water heater and whole house filter...?

i wouldnt trust the filter for 100% chlorine removal.if the only reason u age ur tap is chlorine removal use a dechlor and go
    mike
    37gal comm
    55 discus growout
    75 african cics

Real Name
    Rick

I am not so sure a tankless water heater would keep up, how many gallons would you be changing at a time?

That's the whole idea of a tankless water heater. You don't run out of hot water.i have one in my grooming/fish store. Runs all day for bathing dogs and filling fish tanks. Very low gas bill also. I use my water straight from the tap. A bit of prime.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=49.275115,-122.835478

Quote Originally Posted by April View Post
    That's the whole idea of a tankless water heater. You don't run out of hot water.i have one in my grooming/fish store. Runs all day for bathing dogs and filling fish tanks. Very low gas bill also. I use my water straight from the tap. A bit of prime.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=49.275115,-122.835478
    If so, why wouldn't you use the tankless heater for everything you do in the house or do you? Also, if you don't want to age water, you can also consider RO sytem but then may be that's what you have in mind. I have been thinking about RO for my tank.

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

I run all the water that comes into my house through a carbon filter(http://www.afwfilters.com/store/carb...k-5600-72.html) then 1 micron. I also installed a tankless water heater. I still age the tap if I'm doing a big wc with it to off gas it, my ph will rise from 7.5 to 8.0+ plus I age to eliminate the micro bubbles. Tankless water heaters are very good, but other than faster, non stop hot water at less cost, there is no difference from a normal heater
    Jim

Real Name
    Rick

I run all the water that comes into my house through a carbon filter(http://www.afwfilters.com/store/carb...k-5600-72.html) then 1 micron. I also installed a tankless water heater. I still age the tap if I'm doing a big wc with it to off gas it, my ph will rise from 7.5 to 8.0+ plus I age to eliminate the micro bubbles. Tankless water heaters are very good, but other than faster, non stop hot water at less cost, there is no difference from a normal heater
    I cant imagine that a tankless water heater could keep up when I am changing 200-400 gallons of water non-stop....am I wrong? I guess if you kept the flow rate low enough it might, but I am typically running a 2000 GPH pump from my storage barrels.

depends on what size heater you have. I can run my house water all faucets full open 24 hrs and never lose hot water.. unless I run out of propane!
    this http://www.tanklessking.com/Rtg84dvp...Rtg-66dvp.aspx
    Last edited by jimg; 02-19-2012 at 11:23 AM. Reason: add
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimg View Post
    Tankless water heaters are very good, but other than faster, non stop hot water at less cost, there is no difference from a normal heater
    This was my point. I guess I will have to look into one when I need to replace my current heater. I heard of geo-thermal heater as well. Anyone uses one?

Yun-

- 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Real Name
    Rick

Interesting I have not looked into the technology for a few years. Propane is not an option for me, nor is an outside the house heater. Looking at the natural gas model:

Rheem RTG-84DVN Direct Vent Natural Gas Tankless Water Heater

Temp Range 85 - 140 degrees F
    8.4 gal/min at 35 degree rise max.
    6.7 gal/min at 45 degree rise max.
    3.9 gal/min at 77 degree rise max.

With my ambient water temp at close to 55 degress it looks like this model would do 500 GPH at the minimum 85 degrees. Still awfully slow, but doable. I wonder how hard they are do hook up as an add on used for only my discus tanks/RO setup? Primary concern would be the vent pipe.

Rick
    Last edited by nc0gnet0; 02-19-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Interesting I have not looked into the technology for a few years. Propane is not an option for me, nor is an outside the house heater. Looking at the natural gas model:

Rheem RTG-84DVN Direct Vent Natural Gas Tankless Water Heater

Temp Range 85 - 140 degrees F
    8.4 gal/min at 35 degree rise max.
    6.7 gal/min at 45 degree rise max.
    3.9 gal/min at 77 degree rise max.

With my ambient water temp at close to 55 degress it looks like this model would do 500 GPH at the minimum 85 degrees. Still awfully slow, but doable. I wonder how hard they are do hook up *** an add on used for only my discus tanks/RO setup? Primary concern would be the vent pipe.

Rick
    I was able to put mine in the cellar against an outside wall so I only needed to vent up 16" then a 90 bend, venting is the hardest part, the rest is very easy. I would never go back to a 40-60 gal tank heater. A friend of mine did an electric tankless and his electric went down quite a bit, no venting.
    check the flow rate into your house I'll bet it's not much more than 7-8 gpm with using a 3/4 outlet full open, most faucets run only 1/2" pipe. mine is set at 104 and water at 7gpm and water stays at 104 constant, short while checked anyway at 1/2" pipe.
    Jim

What kind of heater do you have Jim?

Yun-

- 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

I have an RO unit which produces 150gpd. I use it exclusively for my breeding pairs.

Grow outs I use aged tap water... Because it is more abundant and gets them used to water they might encounter once sold.

Tankless heaters never run out of water, they flash heat the water as its going through. The electric heaters are more efficient ($) than the gas ones. The limitation is the flow rate.

The one I was considering (for just the fish room) has a max flow rate of 2GPM. I think I might have to consider a larger one, b/c I have a lot of tanks.

Real Name
    Rick

Jim, I haven't checked the flow rate into my house, but for residential, the pressure is really good at 75-80 PSI. It blows up most garden hoses when left on with a sprayer nozzle in the off position. I run RO/tap in all my tanks so the heater would need to be plumbed to my storage barrels and not the water main. My RO is plumbed to the water main before it hits the water softner that is used for the rest of the house. My RO discharge is then fed into a basement sump pit (low water table where I live) thus the sump pit in the utility room in the basement.

check the flow rate into your house I'll bet it's not much more than 7-8 gpm with using a 3/4 outlet full open, most faucets run only 1/2" pipe. mine is set at 104 and water at 7gpm and water stays at 104 constant, short while checked anyway at 1/2" pipe.
    So then you are mixing hot/cold at the tank for your refills and not dialing in the desired temp at the hot water heater?

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast