ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tankless water heater and whole house filter...?

Quote Originally Posted by jimg View Post
    [...] age the tap if I'm doing a big wc with it to off gas it, my ph will rise from 7.5 to 8.0+ plus I age to eliminate the micro bubbles.
    Tell me more about micro bubbles... I've hear their name before, but never understood what they are or why they are bad.

Quote Originally Posted by jimg View Post
    Tankless water heaters are very good, but other than faster, non stop hot water at less cost, there is no difference from a normal heater
    This is exactly why I want one.

Default Re: Tankless water heater and whole house filter...?

Quote Originally Posted by YSS View Post
    What kind of heater do you have Jim?
    http://www.tanklessking.com/Rtg84dvp...Rtg-66dvp.aspx I posted this one but I have the 64 not the 84
    Jim

Real Name
    Rick

The one I was considering (for just the fish room) has a max flow rate of 2GPM. I think I might have to consider a larger one, b/c I have a lot of tanks.
    yeah that would be gawd awfull slow if doing more than a few tanks.........

Rick
    yes I mix hot /cold as needed to the tanks for small changes, otherwise I have storage for ro and tap.
    I have my ro going cold into a 55g drum then let it heat with aquarium heater.
    I have my water pressure at about 55 -60 psi so that's probably why I get hotter water than you would.
    I really don't know how you could hook one up for your use, but there are point of use tankless ones you could look up. I know mine needs a certain flow rate before it will work too, so that might limit you.
    Jim

Tell me more about micro bubbles... I've hear their name before, but never understood what they are or why they are bad.
    when the water in the winter is colder it doesn't release the gasses as easily as warmer water, so when some of us add water from the faucet to the tanks we get millions of tiny bubbles that cloud the water, it's not so much the bubbles you see, but the very very small ones can cover the gills and block 02 and the co2 being released from them can also burn the gills. not a scientist, just what I have been told!
    Jim

Real Name
    Rick

I know mine needs a certain flow rate before it will work too, so that might limit you.
    thanks Jim, I am going to look into this. Getting a pump to handle the required flow rate is easy enough, but if the heater needs a certain PSI to operate properly that would be a bit costlier in terms of a pump.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    thanks Jim, I am going to look into this. Getting a pump to handle the required flow rate is easy enough, but if the heater needs a certain PSI to operate properly that would be a bit costlier in terms of a pump.

Rick
    Let me know what you come up with, I think your better at researching and detail than I am. I get an idea and try it, I take the easy way! I think it is flow, gpm that effect it, not pressure.
    Jim

My fish are at my shop . I don't have a on demand heater where I live. I installed it in my petshop and grooming shop as I used to run out of hot water to do wcs and I couldn't do wcs and wash
    Dogs
    .now we can wash 15
    Dogs In a row and fill tanks with a separate hose and never run out.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=49.275090,-122.835283

Real Name
    Rick

Hey April,

I got three Sammy's I can send your way for a good wash and groom But seriously, washing dogs would be alot less demanding then the constant flow of filling 14+ tanks. My situation becomes a bit more complicted as I use RO on all my tanks, water here is terrible for discus, not too mention I run a water softener for the house. Although, perhaps it might be feasable to get a good sized one of these and then have it do dual duty, both for the house and the fish tanks as it would be pretty easier to flush the tap water from the heater (no tank), All it would take is dual input valves on the heater that I could alternate between tap and RO.

Rick
    check this out. he has other hard water systems that don't use salt too.http://www.afwfilters.com/store/salt...-pipe-309.html
    I have bought all my water filter systems from these guys.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Hey April,

I got three Sammy's I can send your way for a good wash and groom But seriously, washing dogs would be alot less demanding then the constant flow of filling 14+ tanks. My situation becomes a bit more complicted as I use RO on all my tanks, water here is terrible for discus, not too mention I run a water softener for the house. Although, perhaps it might be feasable to get a good sized one of these and then have it do dual duty, both for the house and the fish tanks as it would be pretty easier to flush the tap water from the heater (no tank), All it would take is dual input valves on the heater that I could alternate between tap and RO.
    nice idea i never would think to run RO storage thru a tankless water heater but would probally work good with the right pump might try dual outputs to so ur not pumping ro thru all ur un flushed pipes
    Last edited by cjr8420; 02-19-2012 at 04:18 PM.
    mike
    37gal comm
    55 discus growout
    75 african cics

Real Name
    Rick

nice idea i never would think to run RO storage thru a tankless water heater but would probally work good with the right pump might try dual outputs to so ur not pumping ro thru all ur un flushed pipes
    Just a spigot at the output side should work.

Registered Member

I think it’s a bit late now to share that now, but may be next time you can check this website where you can find a very interesting buying guide on Tankless water heater. This one.

Real Name
    Willie

I have a tankless water heater in Minneapolis and it also acts as a boiler to heat the house. But beware, mine cost $10k for the unit and another $10k for installation. Of course, my electrical cost is almost nothing now.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Mark

On my current setup i am using a tankless heater dedicated for just heating my aged water from room temp in the basement (72 deg) to 85 to then add to the sump for water changes. The unit i have will flow 2.0 GPM and heats 55 gals in 12mins. I use a Pan World pressure rated pump to push water from the drums to the heater and back, and also to move the heated water to the sump. There are pictures on My Tank Journal under Sweet Water Reef.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12