AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: single discus ?

Registered Member

Default Re: single discus ?

too much discus need more feed and that will affect the level of ammonia , then i have to do like people say , wc change everyday and clean . that seem to be hard to do in a plant tank .
    Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    All bickering aside, if you said they're not expensive and you obviously have the room for more, why not get more? You said yourself that all fish would probably like to be in a group, so why not get him a buddy or two? What could it possibly hurt?

Registered Member

report.
    Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post

Registered Member

i thinks we are in Week 4 now :
    fish :
    the discus start to refuse dry food(tetra color flake and hikari wafers) and eat more frozen blood worm and tubifex worm.
    the shrimp and guppy doing too good ... so many fry
    water :
    the water condition still good for now(28-29C) , i shutdown the flow rate of all my filter to very low , the fish have more time to relax now , i thinking about add 1 more filter , maybe fuval 405 also in low flow setting .
    plant :
    some algae are showing up
    here some picture for this week
    P1011137.JPG
    P1011142.JPG
    P1011147.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by brianyu View Post
    too much discus need more feed and that will affect the level of ammonia , then i have to do like people say , wc change everyday and clean . that seem to be hard to do in a plant tank .
    Sweetie, if your tank is cycled then you don't get ammonia in your water unless you are overfeeding and not removing the leftover food. Fish keeping 101.
    OC
    Visit my homestead....Discus Living with the OC

Registered Member

that what i mean ... honey ! leftover in plant tanks is always a problem , shrimp can help it little but not too much . and yes my tanks is cycled 3 years ago lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Crush View Post
    Sweetie, if your tank is cycled then you don't get ammonia in your water unless you are overfeeding and not removing the leftover food. Fish keeping 101.

[QUOTE=brianyu;871477]i thinks we are in Week 4 now :
    fish :
    the discus start to refuse dry food(tetra color flake and hikari wafers) and eat more frozen blood worm and tubifex worm. [/QUOT

i thought you shouldnt feed discus Tubifex worms.

i like that tank for shrimp

the problem with feeding in a planted tanks.. the discus can't find the food at the bottom.. it took awhile but my fish finally accepted tetrabits
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Bloodworms are junk food with very little nutrition, that is why it is so easy to get fish to eat them and then they will not eat what they should. Tubifex are cultured/found in very unsanitary conditions. And feeding them might introduced parasites and other nasties into your tank.
    OC
    Visit my homestead....Discus Living with the OC

Registered Member

the frozen food are safe , hikari have a very good sterilizer stage , i'm not too worry about parasites, but there are not much protein in there . I will try to cut back on frozen food .

Registered Member

the tanks was made for plant and shrimp from beginning , im more like a plant guys then a fish guys .
    Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    i like that tank for shrimp

the problem with feeding in a planted tanks.. the discus can't find the food at the bottom.. it took awhile but my fish finally accepted tetrabits

Okay, Here we go again.. This is just getting real old..Deja vu time and again.

Look its simple.... If you want the best chance of succeeding with Discus ...read and apply whats here...

Take a look at these threads please... They are meant to guide you and other novices....

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...st-discus-tank
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ed-with-Discus
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...e-bottom-tanks
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...hat-not-to-buy
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...t-I-ve-learned...

After reading those threads you should be able to look at what you are doing and whats recommended and make the changes needed if you really want to succeed with discus.

If after reading thru those threads you need more help, we have a questionaire that you can fill out here...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...p-Questionaire

That will help more experienced Discus keepers get you on the right track...First step though is to educate yourself thoroughly using resources like these.

I don't understand why it is so hard for some people to understand.. If someone asks for experienced advice...give it and if they chose not to listen...move on and let them do what they please with their fish...If they kill it so be it...But don't get sucked into a pointless thread. Theres plenty of others out there that will listen...you focus on them. If everyone does that, there will be no question as to whats the best way to do something.

Brianyu,
    As said by others ... what you are doing isn't proving any thing.. Its not an experiment...it lacks controls and sufficient numbers of samples to generate anything of real value. If you like the look of one fish in a tank.... go for...if its healthy, and you don't run into a probelm it'll live fine, discus can be alone. They feel more secure and act more naturally in groups....they also eat more and grow faster and better in groups. The only thing you accomplish by keeping one lone discus like that is you cheat yourself out of the pleasure watching discus interact with other discus. It is your fish to do with as you please....But the way you are keeping it is not what most here would recommend...It is not what I recommend to you or any novice.

Threads like this take away from this forum... And makes it more diificult for those with experience to help those in need of it...threads like this make experienced members not want to help others...and I don't blame them..I'm one of these "experienced" members too and I feel their frustration...But I need this forum to teach novices how to best raise their fish so that our hobby continues to grow...so I will continue to try and help where I can.
    Anyone posting in this thread should read this if they haven't already.....

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ts...Read-this.....

I believe that everyone should have the freedom here to post their opinions and experiences... but People need to moderate themselves...learn when to walk away...and leave a problem thread or questionable member to the forum's moderators to deal with.... people need to stop feeding into these threads.It just makes them worse. As the forum's owner I feel this is a very fair request. I know very well that some would do things different that I do with the running of the forum...I'll reserve my personal thoughts on some of these people and just say that I'm fine with that and I am always open to talking with members about their legitimate concerns.... But at the end of the day...I run SimplyDiscus how I think it will best and most fairly meet its goals of promoting our hobby and understanding discus in the largest number of people worldwide. I've done this for the last 10 years now and will continue to do so as long as I can.

Locking this thread now...
    Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 03-12-2012 at 08:43 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567