ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Networking

Default Networking

Hello friends,

I just recently found out I was losing my job after 26 years and one thing I kept reading on job recruiting is "networking" and "word of mouth" type connections. So hopefully this is appropriate for the section of the forum.

I am an Export Warehouse Manager in northern Illinois area. I work for a plastic/steel strapping business.

This might be where we can share contact information from members as it seems like this forum as a "huge" following. And since only a handful of you are doing fish raising full time, I figure the rest of you have full or part time jobs.

So, if anyone feels they want to start a networking group, let me start by offering my contact information IF approved by AL to post here.

Jeff
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Default Re: Networking

Very sorry about your job situation Jeff. As for professional networking, if you havne't been on LinkedIn, I recommend that you sign up for an account. Find someone you know on LinkedIn in your area and in your profession and start building your network. You can also learn about job openings and it could be a helpful tool for your job search. Good luck. I am in a completely different line of work and I live in DC area so, I may not be very helpful in your job search, but if you request to be my connection, I will accept. Best wishes!

http://www.linkedin.com/home

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Thanks Yun,

I am already signed up with them and many other websites.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Confucius

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Really sorry Jeff, crossing fingers that something pans out for you.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Sorry to hear about the loss of your job after 26 years! I wish you the best. Great idea to use the forum to network. You never know.
    Scott

I have a handful if friends and clients that work in the steel industry in the Chicago Heights area (SW burbs). Is that too far to travel?

I am near IL/WI border in Lake Villa/Lindenhurst. Chicago Heights might be pushing the 50 mile radius for me, but hey, if there is a connection there, I am always up for an interview.

Thanks Cos.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
    Hello friends,

I just recently found out I was losing my job after 26 years and one thing I kept reading on job recruiting is "networking" and "word of mouth" type connections. So hopefully this is appropriate for the section of the forum.

I am an Export Warehouse Manager in northern Illinois area. I work for a plastic/steel strapping business.

This might be where we can share contact information from members as it seems like this forum as a "huge" following. And since only a handful of you are doing fish raising full time, I figure the rest of you have full or part time jobs.

So, if anyone feels they want to start a networking group, let me start by offering my contact information IF approved by AL to post here.

Jeff

Jeff , Sorry you are having job issues...its more and more common these days. I have absolutely no problem with you posting your info here or others as well, especially if it helps someone find a job. ... just be careful that you don't put out too much info...The forum is an open forum where non-registered members and bots can see posts.

good luck!
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Thank you Al. Thats why I checked first, courtesy to the forum and it's members.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Confucius

Jeff,
    i have friends that work in networking but they are in NJ and NY a little far away, Also have a friend that does networking for Phazer , but he is always travling could ask him, but you will need to travel about 3 times a week,

Quote Originally Posted by Cosgrovb View Post
    I have a handful if friends and clients that work in the steel industry in the Chicago Heights area (SW burbs). Is that too far to travel?
    Cosgrovb ,
    You still have those friends .. im moving back to the US and looking for work. Was looking between Chicago and New Jersey. My wife is a registered Teacher in NJ but she could always transfer to another state without any problem.

Tony
    Last edited by ajvdiscus; 03-14-2012 at 05:23 AM.

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Good luck Jeff. One of my first jobs out of college was as a warehouse manager for an industrial flooring company. Are you willing to relocate? If so I will ask around.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

John ,

If Jeff dont want the help iŽll take it im willing to relocate to any part of the us .. really wanted East cost but cant be picky these days,.,