AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is the Rarest Strain of Discus

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: What is the Rarest Strain of Discus

I been eating blood clams since I was a kid ......still living now lol......vinegar kills harmful bacteria.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusOnly View Post
    Francis. Aren't blood claims dangerous to eat (especially if it's not fully cooked)?

All this talk about yellow makes me want to try Caryphyll yellow on the discus I have.

Van
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member Discus Origins's Avatar

The only natural strains that are truly yellow based are the Xingu wilds posted by Nandi. With the Belo Monte dam being built the entire Xingu fishery will be affected and that bloodline may be lost. Perhaps if someone would select breed and cross back the yellowest individuals of the Xingu there could be a way to create a bright yellow strain with red eyes all without color or hormone enhancement.

The trick would be finding the stock to begin with...I've never seen Xingu wilds available on lists
    Mark

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Discus Origins View Post
    The only natural strains that are truly yellow based are the Xingu wilds posted by Nandi. With the Belo Monte dam being built the entire Xingu fishery will be affected and that bloodline may be lost. Perhaps if someone would select breed and cross back the yellowest individuals of the Xingu there could be a way to create a bright yellow strain with red eyes all without color or hormone enhancement.

The trick would be finding the stock to begin with...I've never seen Xingu wilds available on lists

I have had the same thought for years, but like has been said it is finding the orgin brood stock to start with.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Every since I first seen you post about your attempt to find the perfect yellow fish I have looked through tons of pictures and I have to admit, your right. What is it that makes them so rare John? It doesn't seem like they should be but, then again they are indeed.

Rick
    Because discus of that caliber go to Japan.

I hate to bring up an old thread like this but I found it intriguing as I am looking for the same yellow discus with red eyes.

Is there a albino wild ? Any pic?
    Yours truly,
    KK
    Malaysia
    (Currently owns a 76 Gallons + 20 Gallons tanks)

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    Since my attempt at humor caused some of the thin skinned members to stroke out I would like to make a change to my post....The solid yellow with red eyes is a fish that I have hunted for longer than most of ya'll have even known what discus were. High quality ones are quite rare. I have spent lots of times and money in my search without any real luck.

-john

I was just in a petstore near pittsburgh pa that has a solid yellow breeder that is the size of a dinner plate
    here is the link to the store and they will ship
    http://www.wetpetsandfriends.com/pittsburghdiscus.htm

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123