AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CLEANING THE WALLS

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Default Re: CLEANING THE WALLS

I really like the paper towel thing too I'm going to try that as well for quick cleaning.......You guys are brilliant I think I need to work smarter not harder....especially with these fry lol..Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Real Name
    Francis

Hi Josie....i use two sheets of paper towels and fold them in half......pretty strong and should not tear underwater......then use rubbing alcohol to sterilize my hands b4 doing the next tank......doing water changes now and back to bed in an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopodus View Post
    real cute francis
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Francis

Hi Josie....i use two sheets of paper towels and fold them in half......pretty strong and should not tear underwater......then use rubbing alcohol to sterilize my hands b4 doing the next tank......doing water changes now and back to bed in an hour.

real cute francis
    Grasshopper
    Francis

I just ordered these from KensFish, they seem fairly soft: http://www.kensfish.com/product1423.html

Josie, I have done a lot of sponge shopping because my kids play violin & viola and use them as a shoulder rest. I found out that every kitchen sponge I found was chemically treated (it will take the varnish off). So wouldnt use those in my tank. We use.sponges from the car wash section for the instruments.
    “Be curious, not judgmental.”- Walt Whitman

Real Name
    Rick

I just use well worn green scrub pads, wring them out then hydrogen peroxide to sterilize. I use the hydrogen peroxide on my hands and arms as well instead of rubbing alcohol.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Don in Virginia View Post
    I just ordered these from KensFish, they seem fairly soft: http://www.kensfish.com/product1423.html
    great you know I went looking on KensFish for sponges and didn't see these thank you for finding them Don.........Josie
    Chicago Discus

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    I just use well worn green scrub pads, wring them out then hydrogen peroxide to sterilize. I use the hydrogen peroxide on my hands and arms as well instead of rubbing alcohol.

rick
    which do you think is safer for the fish spaying peroxide or alcohol I usually just wash my hands but this sounds like a much better solution......thanks Rick.....Josie
    Chicago Discus

I had a friend get like seven sponges at the grocery store,and when he rinsed them,three gave off soap bubbles.These were new.I think he would only use real sponge,or live sponge,I think they were in the car wash section.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

I've been using "Mag-Floats"for years. They last forever, you don't get wet, no cleaning, no mess, no BS.
    Darrell

great you know I went looking on KensFish for sponges and didn't see these thank you for finding them Don.........Josie
    You're welcome! I'm going through a total sterilization, and dumped all my "infectable" stuff, so had to find cleaning supplies. I haven't used them yet, but they seemed reasonably prices.

i use two sheets of paper towels and fold them in half......pretty strong and should not tear underwater
    I use paper Bounty paper towels for the sides, but have never used them 'under water' for cleaning tank bottom....maybe I should try . I've been scared to use anything but sponges specfically for aquarium use (not kitchen sponges). are car wash sponges really safe?

right now I have tank dedicated sponges for bottom cleaning, and they're pretty rough/hard - thanks for the Kensfish link, that's a whole lot cheaper than the ones at my LFS!
    "The more I learn, the more I learn how much I have to learn." ~Charles Schultz

-Trish

Hi Snoop,

I use the algae cleaning magnets for the front and sides. For the back I have a scrub brush mounted on a handle. I only have one tank, my 125g display, up at the moment. When I was running my Angelfish breeding operation a few years back for my LFS, each tank had its designated scrubbers (like your tanks). I have also used the cheap, hand held scrubbing pads (one for each tank) and replaced them each month.
    Charles "Chuck" Scoggins
    Pueblo, Colorado

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and Homesteader TNT77's Avatar

I use paper towels. Never have to worry about washing or sterilizing..just toss em when your done.
    Tara Bennett
    Phone: 815-876-0516

Registered Member

I used to wipe the walls with sponges like you,i have one pleco in almost every tank,they clean surface of everything in the tank very well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast