ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Hoping For Discus

Default Hoping For Discus

Hello SimplyDiscus!!!
    I have been keeping fish for 13 years. I started off with fresh water not knowing what to do and as I got older researched and moved to salt. I have had a reeftank set up since early 07 and is currently running as a 125g with two 20g long sumps. I have grown tired of mixing salt and dosing the tank. Im hoping to sell off my livestock and convert the tank to a discus tank.

First I want to say that I am a research nut! Since this idea was sparked again by my brother in law, I have read about 4-5 hours a day for the last week and stumbled on this site. I have also read about discus off and on for the last few years. My wishes of a planted tank have been pushed aside and surprisingly I like some of the BB tanks with drift wood and a few potted plants. Looks clean but still interesting. I have a couple questions as I start planning my tank.

I have an RO/DI unit, do I use this water, just RO water, or have also seen references of using just aged tap water?
    (i need to test my straight tap water to see where its readings are)

I have a 6 bulb T-5 fixture over the tank now and have read that discus dont like bright light. Would I need all bulbs firing to grow the few potted plants I will have in the future? If not that would tone the light intensity down, Im also considering building a LED fixture as well and just focusing the light onthe plants.

If you buy a a handful of three or four color morphs and wait for them to pair up, will like colors stay together? And what should my ending total be for my 125?

Thanks, hope this is the right place for an introduction.

Registered Member

Default Re: Hoping For Discus

welcome to SD! from what I've read, discus don't do colors.. it makes no difference to them.
    We all judge, it's what we do with our judgements that make us who we are.
    Margaret

Real Name
    Zach

Hey welcome to simply, you don't need the ro unless you get wild discus or your breeding. Just hold onto it for now, discus won't stick to one color so pick a species you like or just end up with mixed fry ect. The 6 bulb fixture is super overkill, this hobby is exactly opposite of reef when it comes to lighting. If you want, keep the fixture and only run 2-3 bulbs or go the led, low watt mh. Your plants, I'm guessing swords or something since they are in pots are low light to begin with. Either go bare bottom or pool filter sand for your best results. Water change 50% 1-2 times a week for adults or more often for smaller fish. Feed 5-6x a day consisting of high protein foods like black worms and beef heart. Some flakes are good too, theres a wide variety you can choose from.
    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    -Zach

Real Name
    Zach

Oh, and you want to get a minimum of 5-6 discus. The more the better, as they are shoaling fish.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    -Zach

I plan to start out BB and eventually switch to a thin layer of pool sand to cover the glass. I was hoping to have a dozen discus. Im really scared after reading to purchase 2.5 to 3 in juvies though. Does anyone on here sell discus? Specifically in the 3 to 4 inch range. Do you just feed only freeze dried black worms? I read that beef heart is messy, are there certain foods better for different stages in the fishes life?

Doh. Just found the market place.

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Welcome to SD! Sounds like you have a good idea of where you want to go. A dozen should be good for that size of tank. If you are thinking of buying smaller discus a grow out tank might be a good choice before they go to the "big house." As said before the ro unit is most likely not needed unless breeding. Blackworms and beef heart are a staple. They are messy though and will foul the water quickly so IMO daily water changes are needed 30-50%. I'm anal and do at least 50% daily. Strains don't really matter they all hang together. BB you'll find is quite easy. I recently switched mine and won't go back to sand. It easier and cleaner. Many people use Hans or Kenny on the site for fish but there is also a lot of breeders too. Ask around. Good luck!

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ibu3gg
    -Brandon
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

So, ive been thinking, I built a saltwater/freshwater mixing/holding station. It has a 20 tall on top that is tied to my RO unit, and drilled to drain down into a 10g tank and they are tied together to deliver fresh or saltwater at the twist of a valve to my display tank. Could 12-14 2.5 inch discus stay in the 20 gallon for a while to grow out? Mainly a couple months while they are so delicate. That would be quick and easy work of daily water changes with RO water.

Also curious to find out, when you plan your stock list, how many of each color do you get? For instance if im looking at starting with 12-14 discus, should a do a pair of each color form, or maybe 3 or 4 per color, or maybe just 2 different colors? Im looking at ones I like and as I look at them all together doing pairs of each, it looks very "busy" and almost not good. Opinions? I see a few tanks that only have one color also, just not sure how many I can narrow it down to.

Registered Member

It is your tank, you pick the colors. Personally I prefer one color or near one color. When them swim together I think that looks better.

Real Name
    TONY

Welcome to SD. I guess it's a matter of personal choice. If you're just focusing on display, 2 or 3 of this or that is cool. If you're focusing on breeding, most purists would say pick a strain, get a group, form some pairs, seperate & procreate!! lol Me, I'm no expert. In fact these are my first discus but I adore the color combinations. They are soothing to the eye. "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"