AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Build: 230 Gallons Discus tank

Registered Member

Default Re: New Build: 230 Gallons Discus tank

Teramicin capsules are antibiotic capsules, which i normally use for my other fishes when in QT, a friend of mine gave me some advice and i removed the medication from the tank by doing a 3x50% WC within the entire day. since then and now they are swimming around the whole tank. but still not eating the food that i am giving them. i tried feeding them Hikari's bio-gold pellet it supposed to be a beefheart mix, and also tried feeding them tetra bits. but no luck yet..

i think may be a day more before they start eating, will try feeding the freeze dried tubiflex worm or freeze dried bloodworms..
    any tip would be great..
    thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by yusufm52 View Post
    Teramicin capsules are antibiotic capsules, which i normally use for my other fishes when in QT, a friend of mine gave me some advice and i removed the medication from the tank by doing a 3x50% WC within the entire day. since then and now they are swimming around the whole tank. but still not eating the food that i am giving them. i tried feeding them Hikari's bio-gold pellet it supposed to be a beefheart mix, and also tried feeding them tetra bits. but no luck yet..

i think may be a day more before they start eating, will try feeding the freeze dried tubiflex worm or freeze dried bloodworms..
    any tip would be great..
    thanks.
    I'd skip the tubifex. Look into getting some Freeze Dried Blackworms.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    I'd skip the tubifex. Look into getting some Freeze Dried Blackworms.
    Will surely skip feeding the tubifex. Right now amtrying to feed them hikari's Bio-Gold Beef heart mix pellets(sinking).

Registered Member

Update: the fishes are eating the hikari pellets, not attacking it but one bite at a time, first tasting the food then spitting it then eating it again, just happy right now that they are atleast eating them.. i fed them 4 times out of which 3 times they ate everything, except for some pieces here and there, and one of the discus is bullying the other chasing the other when they get close to the food, is this normal, should i be doing something about it, normally i would have isolated the one bulling others.

I'll will be updating this post everyday with my routines and the info on the discus, so to all the members please do guide.. thank you all for all the help and advice you pepole have given me this far hope to get some more. An hope that i get to setup my 230g tank soon..
    thanks ockyra215 for the advice of getting a few and trying them out, it would have been a nightmare if i had got the big tank and 10 pairs of discus and if something had gone wrong, just don't want to imagine it right now.. thank you all once again..
    CHEERS!!!!
    P.S. i am loving the discus, and asking my self why didn't i do this earlier..

I'll will be updating this post everyday with my routines and the info on the discus, so to all the members please do guide.. thank you all for all the help and advice you pepole have given me this far hope to get some more. An hope that i get to setup my 230g tank soon..

P.S. i am loving the discus, and asking my self why didn't i do this earlier..
    Nice updates! Will be following your post for more updates~

I absolutely agree with your final statement! But it's always better to be late than never!

Registered Member

Hi, guys here's an update on my progress.

still doing the routine 50%WC every night after i have fed them.
    but the past 2 days the fishes are still scared and get spooked when ever i go to feed them, they keep hiding behind the sponge filter. they are eating habit is the same as before.
    when people say that these fish are hard to keep i now get what they are taking about. Its not about the work but i guess its the patience that is required for this fish, that can be a little never racking than keeping other fishes that i have kept. Anyway that's just my 2 cents.

Registered Member

You might want to.try cutting back on water changes

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mhx View Post
    You might want to.try cutting back on water changes
    No no no, keep up your water changes. They aren't what's scaring your fish. If you stick to routines, eventually your fish will adapt and get comfortable.

The foods you are feeding are a good choice for growing out juvie discus. The water change schedule is also good, just keep an eye on your nitrates and increase the amount you change each night if you find the nitrates rising, ok? I try to keep mine at around 5ppm.

Your discus are still very new in their tank, so you should expect some hiding and skittishness. It will wear off over time.
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Pic 2 looks identical to my brilliant turq from hans
    Bill

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryblonde View Post
    No no no, keep up your water changes. They aren't what's scaring your fish. If you stick to routines, eventually your fish will adapt and get comfortable.

The foods you are feeding are a good choice for growing out juvie discus. The water change schedule is also good, just keep an eye on your nitrates and increase the amount you change each night if you find the nitrates rising, ok? I try to keep mine at around 5ppm.

Your discus are still very new in their tank, so you should expect some hiding and skittishness. It will wear off over time.
    Thanks for the info, will keep up the WC. have a question though, the food that i am giving them, the fishes only eat sometimes 1/4th or may be 1/2 sometimes and sometimes they eat the whole amount that is put in, so am jus plain confused as to whats going on? yes and i do get scared sometimes that why this is happening.

Registered Member

Update: the fishes are doing well, had a question though should i or better could i feed them baby brine shrimp?

Registered Member

Avoided a tragedy today, all thanks to my mom..
    one of the discus jumped out of the tank when i was out, luckily mom had just entered the room so she put the tank, for a second she thought that it died..
    anyway the good thing is that its fine and happily eating right now.

Avoided a tragedy today, all thanks to my mom..
    one of the discus jumped out of the tank when i was out, luckily mom had just entered the room so she put the tank, for a second she thought that it died..
    anyway the good thing is that its fine and happily eating right now.
    Wow so discus are good jumpers too? Hope mine won't be able to jump out that easily...

Glad to hear that your jumper is fine now.

Registered Member

Bad News guys today morning one of the fish is showing symptoms of pop-eye. The QT ammonia and nitrite is 0 and nitrate i'll have to check but it will not be high as i am doing daily 50%WC.
    i didn't do a water change day before yesterday, cause had come home late and was to tired, could this be the reason for the pop-eye?

please do help. I have read about epsom salt, does it help? or should i try medications like teramycin as this is a bacterial infection, is it not?
    Will try to post some pics.

Registered Member

Here are the pics. Please guys help me out. its the one on the right side of the pics. also its got a bulge on its stomach.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast