ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Build: 230 Gallons Discus tank

Registered Member

Smile New Build: 230 Gallons Discus tank

Hi Everyone,
    Am new to this forum and am new to discus fishes, i have been keeping fishes for the past 4yrs. have kept mainly oscars, black ghost knife fish and goldfishes, currently have three tanks. and this will be my fourth tank which will be the largest of them all.

I am planning to build a 230gal glass Discus tank, dimensions 6'x2'x2.5' (LxHxB).

I have researched a bit about the discus fish and found out that they are really beautiful fishes to keep and that they require quite some care, so was worried about the filtration system as what would be my best option.
    All and any help would be much appreciated..

Thank you..

Default Re: New Build: 230 Gallons Discus tank

Welcome to Simply! I prefer a drilled tank with a sump filtration system, that way everything is hidden and I can use as much filter media as I want. As an added bonus, the main tank's water level stays the same, only the level in the sump drops (due to evaporation).

It's really not too difficult to care for discus (assuming you start with good stock), and there are many filtration options that a lot of members use: HOBs, canisters, and even sponge filters. It really comes down to what you prefer, how your tank will be set up, and how you will use the filter, combined with other cleaning methods, to keep your tank healthy.
    -Luke

65gal RR w/ 20 gal sump, 6 Curipera X's from Kenny!

Registered Member

Hey guys i got an idea for the filter sump and was wondering if anyone has tried it or not. i thought instead of placing the sump on the back why not just build it in the tank at the back.. here are some of the designs that i drew..
    IMAG0276 copy.jpg
    IMAG0278 copy.jpg

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and Homesteader TNT77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yusufm52 View Post
    Hey guys i got an idea for the filter sump and was wondering if anyone has tried it or not. i thought instead of placing the sump on the back why not just build it in the tank at the back.. here are some of the designs that i drew..
    IMAG0276 copy.jpg
    IMAG0278 copy.jpg
    I have seen it done before and the results were ok. But unlike adding a sump underneath which adds water volume and doesnt take up space in the tank. An in tank sump takes away tank space and doesnt add water volume. When I find the article I will post it.
    Tara Bennett
    Phone: 815-876-0516

I suggest you get a 55gallon and half a dozen discus and learn about them first hand and see if you like the up keep of them.than get into a huge tank build. Practice makes perfect. Its a wonderful hobby so welcome.
    Dave Z!
    NADA MEMBER
    Visit my homesteader page http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...hiladelphia-PA

Registered Member

TNT77@ thank you for the input. But my initial tank size of 230 gallons remains the same and I am adding another 50 gallons approx. to the tank with this design. Instead of placing the sump below the tank I am keeping at the back. My tank size will increase by 8" inches to accomodate the sump.

Ockyra215@ already have a 55 gallon tank and am doing exactly what u are suggesting..

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

yusufm52, I have a 230 (6 feet (length) x 2 feet (width) x 31 inches tall) gallon with a sump (in the cabinet) and one concern I would have with placing the sump in the back of the tank is being able to get to it to service it. If you are 6 ft with long arms, go for it. If not I would suggest giving it a second thought.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Tony

that 's similar to SeaClear II with built in sump in the back. You HAVE TO HAVE access in the back to do sump maintenance and it's not easy to do. It may work with other type of fish but definately not for discus.
    My Fish Space
    300gallon Bare Bottom Tank [COMPLETED]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "seek peace and pursue it"

Registered Member

I've kept Black Ghost Knife before too. They are very interesting fishes. Wonder if anyone has ever successfully kept them with discus. I can't imaging doing water change for a 230G-tank though.

Looking forward to your build. Good luck!

Registered Member

Thayghet: i Would keep a BGK with Discuses their appetite is a lot and require to be fed more at night and in small servings, and since they sense their food using electric current around there noses. if they are not fed properly will start nipping at the fin of other fishes.. it does this at night...
    i say this cause i have one which is 13" long..
    and jus for the record it is one of my fav fishes i own...

Doc_polit: thank you and will keep you updated..

UPDATE
    As of now am looking for a good return pump for the filteration, and before i forget to mention, i am going with the sump being placed below the tank..
    any suggestions for the pump?
    and will a 12mm glass do for this tank size or should i toughen it and then use it for the build, can't use a bigger glass as the price for a 14mm or 16mm is thrice the price of 12mm and goes way out of my pocket.

Registered Member

i Just notice a mistake i made in the tank size i mentioned in my first post, its 6ft x 2.5ft x 2ft (LxHxB).

Registered Member

Cool Re: New Build: 230 Gallons Discus tank

Hey guys here is an update on my tank, haven't yet made the 230gallon tank as i think i am not yet ready to handle such a huge tank of discus as it is my first time, so thought about it and took the first step of buying the discus. i already have a 55 gallon tank with golds in it, which i have sold, and cleaned the tank and cycling the tank. right now the discuses are kept in my 20 gallon QT.

A few Questions i wanted to ask.
    1. i got the fishes today morning, in acclimatized them by adding 1/2 mug of water from the QT to the plastic bags every 30mins or so did it 3 times till the bag could hold no more. Then netted them and put them in the QT. Added 4x250mg teramicin capsules and then this afternoon 6hrs later i changed 50% of the water. and fed them a few hikari beefheart pellets, which the fishes have not consumed yet.

at the present moment the fishes have huddled up in the corner of the tank, under the sponge filter, there is no heater as the room temp is 28c to 29c at present.

1. Is it normal for these fishes to act the way they are acting or did i do something wrong because of which they are acting so?
    2. Please tell me what is the name of the fishes as the LFS told be that the are Red Maps, but they look like something else.
    3. Can i directly add tap water, to the tank for WC, as i have a practice of using direct tap water for my WC of the other tanks and have had no problems.

Thank you..
    am so excited about the fishes..

Registered Member

Cool Re: New Build: 230 Gallons Discus tank

Here are some pictures of the new purchase..

and also please do help me identify what is the name of this discus, the LFS told me its a Red Map but i doubt it..

Thank you enjoy the pics..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

what teramicin capsules are you adding? Did you dissolve them before adding them to the tank? Why did you choose to medicate them with teramicin capsules?

hopefully there moving around more now since you posted that at 9am. if not u should keep a close eye on them

discus are picky about water. your water at home might be way different from your LFS.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast