AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Build: 230 Gallons Discus tank

Default Re: New Build: 230 Gallons Discus tank

Sorry to hear about the pop-eyed discus. Perhaps you could fill up the questionaire in the Disease section so you can get better advices?

Hope it will recover soon.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by wavesurfer View Post
    Sorry to hear about the pop-eyed discus. Perhaps you could fill up the questionaire in the Disease section so you can get better advices?

Hope it will recover soon.
    The bloat has gone i posted another thread, and got advice on it, and still keeping an eye out for any other symptoms..

Quote Originally Posted by yusufm52 View Post
    The bloat has gone i posted another thread, and got advice on it, and still keeping an eye out for any other symptoms..
    Good to hear!

Registered Member

Now i think its stomach has sunk in,i don't know what is causing it, whether it the parasite which caused it to bloat up before or this is completely unrelated..
    this is so frustrating

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Sorry, read older post
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Now i think its stomach has sunk in,i don't know what is causing it, whether it the parasite which caused it to bloat up before or this is completely unrelated..
    this is so frustrating
    How is everything now? Hope it's okay.

Registered Member

yup everthing is fine now, all are happy eating well, had some problem with the fishes going all over the tank, which i think is solved but will have to wait and watch for two three days. but i think sit will settle down, its a roller coaster ride but its fun, otherwise it would have been boring.

yup everthing is fine now, all are happy eating well, had some problem with the fishes going all over the tank, which i think is solved but will have to wait and watch for two three days. but i think sit will settle down, its a roller coaster ride but its fun, otherwise it would have been boring.
    Great to hear things have stablised.

I wouldn't want the roller coaster ride though; I don't mind the 'boredom' as long as my fishes are healthy.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by wavesurfer View Post
    Great to hear things have stablised.

I wouldn't want the roller coaster ride though; I don't mind the 'boredom' as long as my fishes are healthy.
    True, but all i want or a matter of fact what every discus or fish owner would want is to have their fish healthy and eating well.
    only problem is i can't seem to confirm whether my fish are eating properly or not, reason being is that, i can't get to clean the tank after every feeding because of work, so i do one cleaning, and from the looks of the tank it looks as if they eat half of the stoff and the rest just lies there, until the next feeding, and i don't want lessen the amount of feeding because of i fear i might stun them, they still get scared and run to the corner of the tank, and constantly keep changing the color.

True, but all i want or a matter of fact what every discus or fish owner would want is to have their fish healthy and eating well.
    only problem is i can't seem to confirm whether my fish are eating properly or not, reason being is that, i can't get to clean the tank after every feeding because of work, so i do one cleaning, and from the looks of the tank it looks as if they eat half of the stoff and the rest just lies there, until the next feeding, and i don't want lessen the amount of feeding because of i fear i might stun them, they still get scared and run to the corner of the tank, and constantly keep changing the color.
    Something isn't right. They shouldn't be timid still. When they learn who feeds them or when someone approaches the tank, they should be up in front begging for food. Doesn't matter their age.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Something isn't right. They shouldn't be timid still. When they learn who feeds them or when someone approaches the tank, they should be up in front begging for food. Doesn't matter their age.
    i know that somethings not right, but thats the problem that i can't figure out, does the height of the tank make any difference, the tank is just a foot high from the ground on a platform above the ground? will be getting my test kit in a few days so give you the water parameters then.

Yeah my first instinct would be to say we need to establish not only the perameters in the tank itself, but also whether or not your Ph and other perameters from your tap change once in the tank for 24 hours. I would start there before jumping to any medications and such, you dont want to just start throwing an onslaught of drugs at them without proper diagnosis and knowing that you are treating the actual problem and not the symptoms. JMHO

Also, IMO, I would rather cut back the amount of feeding and not have left over food (assuming you cant vacuum it out shortly after feeding) than allow food to sit in the water and destroy water quality. I think it is crucial that we determine the problem so they not only start eating but, as you were concerned, do not become stunted. If they arent eating the extra food your putting in there then it shouldnt be there in my opinion.

Registered Member

Well got my test kit yesterday but could not get my hands on the master test kit but could get a Ph and a NO2 test. so did a test yest, tank results ph 8.0 , NO2 0.25ppm. tap water Ph 7.8 . so got identified my first problem, need a water aging setup. so got a 60liter drum and set it up for aging, did a 25% WC with direct tap water. And today will do a 50% WC with the aged water after testing it or just a 20%-25% with tap water.

also did a test today morning for the NO2 it was 0.
    and also got a 3 new discus which were QT by my LFS. and added them yesterday with the rest they are doing fine all together, the rest of them also don't go into hiding, they just stay there. hopefully that is a good sign. still will be keeping tabs on there eating habits. keeping my fingers crossed..
    suggestions, opinions and criticism are well comed..

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

yusufm52, I decided to come here to answer your PM. Are you sure you measured nitrites (NO2) or was it nitrates (NO3). If you did measure nitrites (NO2) in the tank that indicates an uncycled tank and could help explain your unsettled fish. Adding three new fish to the tank without QTing them first ( QT at the LFS does not count) was not a great idea. I guessing here that you are creating a larger group to help the existing fish feel more secure but you may be compounding the issues instead by bring more unknowns into situation.

From here if I was in this situation I would age my water, do large daily WCs, reduce the feed as Drew suggests and observe the fish. Since the tank is low to the ground walk and move slowly around the tank. If the fish spook stop, allow the fish to settle and slowly continue what you were doing.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast