ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New Build: 230 Gallons Discus tank

Registered Member

Default Re: New Build: 230 Gallons Discus tank

I know some people believe in the total bare tank. But discus at the end of the day are schooling fish that love structure (wood/trees). They are not open water type fish. I'd put a few pieces of wood/branches in there, it really does comfort them. Also, it makes the tank look better. I get mine from hikes, and the fish love it. They "sleep" in them.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brianyam View Post
    I know some people believe in the total bare tank. But discus at the end of the day are schooling fish that love structure (wood/trees). They are not open water type fish. I'd put a few pieces of wood/branches in there, it really does comfort them. Also, it makes the tank look better. I get mine from hikes, and the fish love it. They "sleep" in them.
    +1

I have yet to find a fish that doesn't settle in faster and swim around more happily when it knows it has secure hiding places if the need should arise. The other thing that helps is small fish that swim around in the open and provide an indication that all is safe. Maybe some tetras?

Registered Member

Notes before ordering 230g tank. Where are you going to put it as it weighs probably over 2000 lbs.? (I am not going to do the math to be exact) If it goes against a wall how will you get to the bottom next to the wall to clean and do things? Remember the height and it will probably be on a stand or base, how will you get to the bottom even in the front of the tank? I was going to order a 60X24X31 190g but I realized I would have difficulty servicing it. I cut back to 25" high 150g for that reason.

Registered Member

The tank they are in now is a QT tank, so I might be putting some decor in 72 gal in which they will be shifted aftr they get a bit more settled. Maybe aftr a 2-3 weeks.. :-)

Yusufm52
    sent from tapatalk2

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345