AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want a new camera

So sorry for your loss. I had a similar thread on here. I went with a Canon Rebel t2i with a lens kit..on sale spent around $650 with replacement warranty at Target. LOVE it takes great fish pics and great t-ball pics and Im still in auto mode LOL!
    “Be curious, not judgmental.”- Walt Whitman

Default Re: I want a new camera

Thanks everyone for your responses. I will check into each site you have referenced me to in depth. I had some vehicles break down that effected my work schedule that is requiring me to work longer hours. So that is taking away from my sleep and free time. I will have time to read your posts but wont beable to do research until Sunday. Any more comments/recommendations is very welcome.
    Thanks and God bless,
    Wendy
    Wendy

Registered Member

I have little to no knowledge about cameras but my wife is a professional photographer. She agrees with Matt- the 18-135mm kit lens from Canon is actually quite good in her opinion and superior to the other lenses offered with a canon body as a kit.
    Scott

Well now you all threw all kinds of options at me that I didnt know about and now I dont no which way to turn for the best camera.
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by wendy9722 View Post
    Well now you all threw all kinds of options at me that I didnt know about and now I dont no which way to turn for the best camera.
    The "best" camera is the one you will pick up and use ... by that I mean it is the one that feels good in your hands and is not too heavy / big for you and you like the feel of. Simply put neither Nikon or Canon make bad cameras!
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

ok. in another life I am a photographer, and I strongly recommend the Sony Nex 5. It is the next step of the bulky, heavy DSLR, consumer-friendly-- you can use it point and shoot or use it with focal length, apertures, ISO speed and the like as a pro would. It as easy as a point-and shoot, less costly than a big DSLR, and you can get a 35 to 200 zoom lense for it that you will never take off, because it is versatile enough for almost any shooting situation you will run across. It also yields top quality: it is on the approved cameras list for my stock photo agency. It is also the smallest DSLR-type camera on the market. (I say DSLR type because it uses a new mirrorless sensor system, far superior.) I use Sony, but there are now a number of similar mirrorless system, small excellent cameras on the market.
    I carry both my big Sony A-700 DSLR and the Nex-- and I seldom use the big one any more. Get that, and Lightroom (you will probebly need to take a course in Lightroom to leanr to use it well) and you will be set for life. The new Nex 7 has just come out, so the Nex 5 could well be selling low these days-- and the Nex 7 is way more than you would need...
    Last edited by judy; 03-14-2012 at 02:18 PM.
    1250 bb pot-planted: twelve discus (six my babies), cardinal tetras, sidthimunki loaches, angelfish. 35 gallon hex tank: hospital
    40gallon grow out tank: snakeskin juvies

Quote Originally Posted by judy View Post
    ok. in another life I am a photographer, and I strongly recommend the Sony Nex 5. It is the next step of the bulky, heavy DSLR, consumer-friendly-- you can use it point and shoot or use it with focal length, apertures, ISO speed and the like as a pro would. It as easy as a point-and shoot, less costly than a big DSLR, and you can get a 35 to 200 zoom lense for it that you will never take off, because it is versatile enough for almost any shooting situation you will run across. It also yields top quality: it is on the approved cameras list for my stock photo agency. It is also the smallest DSLR-type camera on the market. (I say DSLR type because it uses a new mirrorless sensor system, far superior.) I use Sony, but there are now a number of similar mirrorless system, small excellent cameras on the market.
    I carry both my big Sony A-700 DSLR and the Nex-- and I seldom use the big one any more. Get that, and Lightroom (you will probebly need to take a course in Lightroom to leanr to use it well) and you will be set for life. The new Nex 7 has just come out, so the Nex 5 could well be selling low these days-- and the Nex 7 is way more than you would need...
    Thanks Judy for your advice. I will definitly research it and see what it does etc. I hope to be able to take some excellent pics soon!!!!
    Wendy

well thanks everyone for ur great advice. I ordered my camera today and should have by Wednesday. Thursday by the latest... I cant wait to get started.
    Wendy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12