ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Questions about strains, imports and suppliers

Registered Member

Default Questions about strains, imports and suppliers

First time posting here so forgive me if I'm in the wrong place as well as any ignorance displayed in this message. I have a few questions I am hoping the group can help me with.

First my setup is 185 gallon tank containing 19 good size discus attractive discus purchased from Macs almost two years ago. Over those two years I have lost 5 and am now looking to replace them. I've got some beautiful electric dreams and would like something along that same shade of red or darker. I found the Fire Dragon Discus Fish on RFI but from what I have seen in the forum here I should avoid them. Does anyone know where I can find something similar? I'm looking for red and not an orange red.

Next question
    I have seen on some commercial websites people advising against mixing imports with US raised discus due to infection from different microbial strains that wipes out their tanks.. Anyone care to weigh in on this? It seems like some of the forum supporters import. Is it safe to assume that this won't cause an issue?

Thanks in advance. Any advice is appreciated

john

Hi there. You should have a quarantine tank when they first arrive. Getting from anywhere you should. Different immunities and pathogens. Your fish would be the ones to get ill . The best way is to settle them in a quarantine tank and be sure they are adjusted, happy, eating well etc. then you can add one of your least favourite or runt and watch for a couple of weeks. If they do ok and don't get sick then add to your tank.
    Most discus are Imported and most sponsors are very careful to be sure they are all doing well before they ship. I'd check sponsors first. They all get very nice fish in.
    Most of the sponsors can advice you on acclimating.
    Check out discus Hans . His fish are from Germany and are strong fish. He may have a strain you like.
    Also mike beals may or Kenny. They are all reputable and get new shipments often.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?uo23w2

Registered Member

Default Re: Questions about strains, imports and suppliers

Thanks for the advice. Does it necessarily have to be a discus from the home tank that needs to be put into the quarantine tank or can any fish act as a canary? I believe that I was on the Hans site when I read the advice about not mixing discus from different regions so I wasn't sure if this was discus specific. Also if the home fish dies what do you treat the new fish with? If the fish are safe any recommendations for the best way to acclimatizing the new fish to the home tank in regards to water quality and temp? Thanks