AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Heater and Sponge Filter size for 55 gal

Registered Member

Default Heater and Sponge Filter size for 55 gal

I've had aquariums for 20 years but never had any discus but have always wanted them. I have a 55 gallon tank that just became available and so I can finally get some. I've searched through this forum endlessly but can't find this specific info. It maybe out there so I'm sorry for the repeat but I can't find the answers searching.

I've always had just one heater but I like the idea of having 2. But want wattage would I get for each heater for a 55 gal tank. 2 - 300's, 2 - 200's, 2 - 150's, 2 - 100s, etc. In the winter temps in the house are 68 (day) and 66 (night). In the summer anywhere from 72 to 78 (depending if we are home or not).

Also, I have a Penguin 350 HOB filter with 2 biowheels. I'd also like to get 2 sponge filters for the tank. What size filters are ideal for the 55 gallon with this HOB also operating.

Thanks!

Default Re: Heater and Sponge Filter size for 55 gal

Here is a forum favorite heater, the Jagar heater works great. You would need a 200 watt to be safe or 2 - 150 watts.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...6&pcatid=23726

Sponge filters can vary in size so this may help.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...AID=1059619494
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post

Sponge filters can vary in size so this may help.
    I have a Jagar now. It is 200W, as I recall without running downstairs to check. I'll get another 150 then. Thanks.

Is there a recommended size filter to get for a 55 gal? I've read it is best to have 2 just not sure what size. Are 2 V's overkill? Are 2 IV's less efficient? Don't want to take up more tank space then I need to but want to do it right.

With your filtration now, one may sufficient. You can get one rated for over 75 gallons or 2 rated for up to 50 gallons. Your choice. With 2, make sure you have an air pump with 2 ports and get a couple of the adjustable flow valves. You don't want to strong of adjitation. With that, you will also need 2 check valves so the in case of a problem the water does not back up into the air pump. Whisper makes a very good, quiet pump. You can get all this at Foster & Smith.

Good luck!
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Registered Member

Your 200W heater should be sufficient in a normal heated room, particularly if you insulate the back of the tank with 1/2" white styrofoam or similar, and the bottom if it's on an open stand. Tight lids also hold in heat, and fish. I've had excellent results using Jagers plugged into finnex hc-0800 controllers from kensfish, one of our sponsors. I calibrte the jager, set it to 88-90F, then let the controller regulate tank temp at a lower value. It gives backup control over stuck on heater problems.

I like the Hydrosponge #3 filters w/ small airstones, just to make 'em quieter. They're easy to get in & out of normal tank openings for periodic squeezing out in bucket of tank water. Airstones plug up over time, so I keep spares, soak the gooky ones in bleach overnight, rinse well & air dry. I pitched the clear chimneys long ago. A couple ought to do it. They don't want to sink well when new, so I put some marbles or ball bearings inside for the first few weeks to hold em down.

I use a central airpump, but the fusion 700 seems to be highly regarded among the smaller pumps. Ken has those too, along with tubing, gang valves & most everything you might need. excellent service, very competitive pricing & shipping as well.
    John

I always recommend going with two heaters. That way if one fails the other one can keep on working. If you have the $$ you can plug them both into a controller that regulates the temperature as a fail-safe. If not just plug them each in separately.
    - don't eat my fish