AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: "PEARL", "DIAMOND" who, what & where? How?

Default "PEARL", "DIAMOND" who, what & where? How?

Who was the first breeder(s) to use these terms and where were they from?

What and how do these terms apply to strains that are being made available in the last few years? What are/were the differences in the first breedings to get the blue based and the red based types? I am starting to get a little confused on how these strain/type names are being used.

There are blue diamonds, blue diamond snakes, and blue scorpions that are blue based fish with no stripes. When these are bred to pigeon bloods they got white butterflys/scorpions.

Albino cross blue diamond is I think an albino "Pearl" diamond/APD.

Red diamonds, the pictures I have found look to me like a white body turq or a white body lep. Eddie has some albino red diamonds that looked like a very clean white leopard.

Red gold diamonds, and albinoRGD which I think was a cross of a brown based gold with a red diamond.

Then I seen the name Pearl Pigeon which looks kind of scalloped pattern to me.

Thanks
    Steve T

chop meat, carry water

Registered Member

Default Re: "PEARL", "DIAMOND" who, what & where? How?

The first person to use the Pearl term was Schmidt Focke, it was a striated Discus cross with a Redish Brown Discus the results were Discus that had markings
    resembling a string of pearl, after that the name Pearl seem to stick with other types of Discus too.

Thanks Cliff,

Is there anything you can tell about blue diamonds? I am interested in what they were bred from and why they show no stress bars and when they are bred with snakes/leps offspring show no stress bars. Also, why when crossed with pigeons it removes a lot of the peppering?

Steve
    Steve T

chop meat, carry water

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

blue diamond is a gene mutation (they have no stress bars) when bred to a non blue diamond the offspring will have stress bars unless the other parent also carries the recessive blue diamond gene. then a %age of the fry will be barless
    Leo ross , aka "roundfishross"
    "revolution occurs when the victims cease to cooperate"

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by magewynd View Post
    Thanks Cliff,

Is there anything you can tell about blue diamonds? I am interested in what they were bred from and why they show no stress bars and when they are bred with snakes/leps offspring show no stress bars. Also, why when crossed with pigeons it removes a lot of the peppering?

Steve
    Steve,
    The original Blue Diamond came from Lo Wing Yat from Hong Kong, World Wide Fish Farm, at the time he was trading Discus from Schmidt Focke, it was this combination of breeding Discus from Germany cross with Asian Discus that some Discus came out without any black stress bar or any black on their fins,
    also the name Diamond came from the diamond shape of their scales. If anyone still have the number 7 Schmidt Focke some of them will only have 4 stress bars.
    As far as breeding with the Lepards, turquoise, LSS they will have stress bar as these types have a dominate gene where as breeding with Albinos and Pigeons
    they will not have the stress bar but will have less cleaner pepper Discus, this also depend on your breeding stock also too.