AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canister Filter Recommendations?

Default Canister Filter Recommendations?

My Eheim Professional 3 250 (2071) has brocken for the 4th time in 2 years. I'm tossing it in the garbage and looking to replace it. Any recommendations? I'm running a 65 galon tank with an inline heater & UV.

I need to get up and running asap - any help choosing the correct canister filter will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Graham
    - don't eat my fish

Registered Member

Default Re: Canister Filter Recommendations?

I have been running a make and model of canister filter for years that doesn't get much press here, but my vote is the CASCADE series. For a 65g, I would go with a 1200 model. I have about 6 of these and have never had a nano second of trouble from any of them. They are very use friendly maintenance wise and have several hooked up with in-line heaters.
    Lots of motor power, I like them a lot.
    Best regards,
    Harriett

Thanks Harriett, can you adjust the flow rate on the CASCADE filters?
    - don't eat my fish

I have the Fluval 206 on one tank and the 405 on another. I love them, they are QUIET and I have not had any problems with either of them. You can adjust the flow rate and customize what you put in them.
    OC
    Visit my homestead....Discus Living with the OC

Thanks for the advice! I ended up going with a Cascade Canister. It's all hooked up and going. I'm really happy with the construction. Nice and simple.

I'll never buy anything Eheim again.
    - don't eat my fish

Let me know how you like it after a while, I have been curious about them but never bought one because their HOB filter was one of the most annoying filters I ever owned.
    OC
    Visit my homestead....Discus Living with the OC

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Crush View Post
    Let me know how you like it after a while,
    Yes, I concur with Orange, keep us posted on that Cascade. I'd like to know how they keep up too. I know Fluvals are very good. Cascade 'power filters' are great, but the hard plastic casing breaks pretty easy.

However, I think your experience with the Eheim was the exception and not the rule. You probably got stuck with a fluke. I have had Eheims for longer than 20 years and were still working good when I sold them (yes, I sold them). At present I only have one canister, and it is a Fluval, no complaints.

Best of luck with the Cascade.
    Chris Baez, Jr.

"The problem with Christianity is not that it has been tried and found wanting, but that it has been found difficult and left untried" GK Chesterton

I'll definitely report back. It's working great so far. I went with the 700. I wanted to keep the flow rate down to keep my UV working properly so I went with a smaller filter. It's rated for a 65 gallon tank with a flow rate of 185 gph. Ideally I want a flow rate of no more than 175 gph so this should work almost perfectly.
    - don't eat my fish

Cascades been working great for me. It is a little more fragile container than eheim or rena/fluval, but works good and hasnt died yet. 1 year in

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

i use a cheap one from ebay, like 65 bucks and its fine

The problem I was having with the Eheim was the shutoff/disconnect valve. It broke on me 4 times over 2 years. That and the entire unit was recalled about a year ago due to a leak around the electrical cord. Endless problems! I was cleaning out the filter every other month. I just don't thing it was built to be disconnected and reconnected so much. We Discus owners really put our equipment through its paces. IMO Eheim is not what it used to be.
    - don't eat my fish

Quote Originally Posted by -gb- View Post
    IMO Eheim is not what it used to be.
    I would not doubt that. Like European cars, overpriced and overrated.
    Chris Baez, Jr.

"The problem with Christianity is not that it has been tried and found wanting, but that it has been found difficult and left untried" GK Chesterton

Registered Member

My feedback: Actually, I had lousey luck with Fluvals and quit them until the FX5s came out. I have been using one since it was available in the US and not a lick of trouble. As for the cascade series, as I said, I have been using mine [I have a bunch of them] for a good 7 years I think and they are little powerhouses that don't quit. No leakage, no cracking, zip ever, not even a worn rabber part. I had several Eheims in the older days and between the expense and the rediculous level of user un-friendly headaches I went through, I pitched them. Never will buy one again. Had thought to try one from the big PRO series but went with the FX5 instead and glad I did. U can always 'tune down' the strength of flow by putting in a valve to tinker with. I would use a 1000 for 55g or under and a 1200 for a 75g. They come larger as well, but that's what I have experience with. I use the FX5 and a cascade 1200 in my 180g and theat seems to work fine.
    Best regards
    Harriett

Registered Member

I've been using Fluval canisters for many years and never had a problem.

I have 2 Ocean Clear canisters hooked in a series on a 150 gal. One is a poly bead filter, and the other was a poly bead filter, until I removed the beads, and replaced them with a couple of pieces of 4" thick Poret foam, cut to fit. This made for an awesome mech. filter that a typical canister can't beat. The 7 lbs. of poly beads in the other filter creates massive bio colonies as well. It will handle just about any load you dare to put in your tank. I also removed the ball valves from both filters used for backwashing. The valves were better suited for a small pond, and useless on a tank, as well as being poor quality. There is no pump to break on these filters, since you use your own. It's a huge plus over typical canisters which don't always have the best quality of pump. I use an Iwaki.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Darrell Ward; 03-15-2012 at 10:50 PM.
    Darrell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast