ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring,umm,pond fever.

Default Spring,umm,pond fever.

m_pondwinter 003.jpgm_pondwinter 001.jpgm_pondwinter 002.jpgm_pondwinter 006.jpgm_pondwinter 005.jpgWe've had a mild winter around here,and I've been antsy to work outside.My cory guy showed me his pond,and they mis-understood him when he gave the dims,and it ended up being 5 1/2 ft at its deepest.It's in a typical chicago back yard,and isn't to big until you walk up on it and look in.Got me thinking to work on mine.They're the typical plastic inserts you get at home Depot,I belive they're 110gals into 125gals into 175gals.pulled the bottom insert and I'm going to make it longer and deeper.I belive it's 18" now,let's see how far I get before I'm tired of chopping tree roots.Bottom insert is one withthe center for bog plants.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Spring,umm,pond fever.

Nice start Bill, looking forward to updates.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

m_pond rebuild1 003.jpgm_pond rebuild1 004.jpgm_pond rebuild1 010.jpgStarted by digging the shelf out that supported the bog plants.I figured if I didnt get any further,would probably add another 75gals.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Got pretty ambitious over the weekend.Down to around 3ft,and maybe 2ft longer.m_pondrebuild2 002.jpgm_thorpondhelp 010.jpgand as always,Thor the m_thorpondhelp 009.jpgm_thorpondhelp 004.jpgAmazing Helper dog.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Me too Bill, cleaned out a small frog/goldfish pond in the yard today. Wish I had my camera when I netted a pile of rotten leaves from the pond floor and when I dumped out the net onto the ground out popped a half asleep huge bull frog. I'm sure I heard him say "what the heck are you doing to me lady, I was sleeping peacefully" He slowly hopped into nearby bushes, hope he is back in his clean pond by now. Good luck with your pond work!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    Wish I had my camera when I netted a pile of rotten leaves from the pond floor and when I dumped out the net onto the ground out popped a half asleep huge bull frog.
    Barb
    Exact!thing happened to me when pulling up the old pond.He's settled nicely into the next pond,made a home on a water lily pot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Funny Thor! He is becoming as famous as Pat's babies. . Pond is looking good, by the way.
    Anik

Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been. - Jimmy Buffet

So how many discus can you fit in there? . You don't have to answer that -just dreaming out loud.
    Anik

Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been. - Jimmy Buffet

Quote Originally Posted by Rummy View Post
    So how many discus can you fit in there? . You don't have to answer that -just dreaming out loud.
    Depends how thin you slice them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill63SG View Post
    Exact!thing happened to me when pulling up the old pond.He's settled nicely into the next pond,made a home on a water lily pot.
    m_picture1 294.jpgm_picture1 295.jpgComputer crashed 2 weeks ago,havent been able to upload pics.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Well,my bud told me he had a piece of epdm 10x20.A few days later,after I started digging,he called to tell me it was more like 10x10 with a corner missing.Needless to say,I had to make adjustments because the price is still right.On th plus,most are 20-45mil thick,and this piece is 60mil.m_picture1 293.jpgWhere the small cinderblock is where I had to start filling back in.m_picture2 005.jpgThor is now in what was once part of the pond,and now to be a "patio" section.m_picture2 006.jpgm_picture2 007.jpgIts hard to tell but in the lower part of the pic is where I dug out for bog plants or breeding mops.The piece is kinda "L" shaped,And instead of trimming it,I kept digging the shallows.,m_picture2 002.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Water level kept dropping 2"-3" over nijght.Tried to figure what I changed.Then I realized in digging out more shallows,I folded over the corner that had the piece missing.Got some seam tape from a roofing friend.Hope this does the trick.m_picture 5 265.jpgm_picture 5 266.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Filling and planting and thats it for awhile.Storms tonightm_picture 8 258.jpgm_picture 8 268.jpgm_picture 8 269.jpgm_picture 8 270.jpgm_picture 8 273.jpg and tommorrow,so let it wash off the rocks and settle in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

wow - looks great! really nice job.
    - don't eat my fish

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Good looking pond Bill! Having a pond leak will really ruin your day won't it? Been there and done that several times, usually a filter area leak for me. Or a large tree branch falling into pond and puncturing liner, very bad day with that one!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast