AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: 12 days vacation

Default 12 days vacation

I'm on a vacation for 12 days. is it ok to feed them once a day with pellets? i will be using feeder timer. and also my filter will be hang on back filter. my discus are 1.5in. TL, 3in. TL and some pairs.

thanks,
    jhec

Default Re: 12 days vacation

Not ideal for juvies. I would not feed at all and attempt to maintain high water quality while you are away. Can you ask someone to care for them while you are on vacation?
    Pete
    MAGA

Im taking a week in June, and I'm paying my sister to care for them. If I didnt have her I'd ask if someone at my LFS wanted a weeklong part time job.
    “Be curious, not judgmental.”- Walt Whitman

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jhec View Post
    I'm on a vacation for 12 days. is it ok to feed them once a day with pellets? i will be using feeder timer. and also my filter will be hang on back filter. my discus are 1.5in. TL, 3in. TL and some pairs.

thanks,
    jhec
    Advise not to feed them more than once a day as nobody will change water in the absence of you. Hence , you can set the feeder time to execute only once per day and keet the amount low. some of the experience discus keepers do not feed their discus at all whenever they were oversea for short period.
    Bottom line . Keep your water clean before you go on holidays.
    Take care

I hope I'm not hijacking a post here (I apologize if I am) but I'm taking a cruise for 7 days in June and have the some of the same questions re: feeding. My 120 with 8 Discus has drilled overflows that drain to a 20 gal wet/dry and 30 gal sump in my basement. When my ship sails my Discus will be nine months old. If they keep growing at the rate they have been they will be about a foot long by then (jk) but seriously, they should all be full grown and not considered juvies at nine months, right? They share their tank with a bunch of black neons, some cardinals and a red-eye tetra. I'm thinking that if I do not feed the tank while I am gone those cardinals will start looking pretty tasty to the Discus, and am even a little concerned that the Red-Eye will start fin-nipping on my Discus and other tetras as well. Do you guys (and gals) think I should exile the red-eye? He is a leftover from my cycle pre-discus and doesn't really need to be there. I have some neighbors that could look in on the tank while I am gone, but would not trust them to do a wc or anything like that. Maybe I will set up an auto feeder with NLS pellets twice a day and let it go? What are your thoughts?
    Just say "NO" to suction cups...

You are in a better situation than the OP. You should have no problems not feeding your fish for a week. They are sub adults by that time and can easily go a week without food. Removing the red eye tetra is going to be your call.....never had them before.
    Pete
    MAGA

man i remember when i was in hawiia for a week and my tank just had frys,,, i was sad wild vacation but had a roommate feed them and care for them.
    good luck

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jhec View Post

thanks,
    jhec
    Not the best Idea the water is going to be way off when you get back from your vacation and also thats a long to time to leave 1.5" Discus without water changes or daily care, one or two days is pushing it but twelve your asking for trouble....JMO.........Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net