ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do with unwanted discus?

Registered Member

Default What do you do with unwanted discus?

I have five discus between two and three years old, but would really like to start fresh with juvies. The fish are great and healthy, but certainly haven't grown out to their full potential. I'm pretty sure nobody would want to buy them even at a low price. What would you do with unwanted discus if you didn't have a second tank to house them in?

Default Re: What do you do with unwanted discus?

You could bring them to a fish club and donate them. Theres a couple of Guys at the Norwalk Aquarium Society that would give them a great home I am sure.
    -al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Culling is always tough. Have someone that knows quality discus take a look at yours. It is hard, but there is really no point in keeping, or giving away, low-quality discus. If they are fish that have just been raised poorly, or not to their full potential, that is one thing. Just low quality is another.

It is also an unfortunate fact that most keepers of low quality fish "lucky" enough to get a breeding pair out of them, actually allow these fish to breed. They turn a blind eye to the quality of the offspring and foist them off on newbies... thus hurting the quality of the overall population.

Culling is, IMHO, a necessary step in breeding/keeping these fish. And one that is too often overlooked.

Tom

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greenheinie View Post
    I have five discus between two and three years old, but would really like to start fresh with juvies. The fish are great and healthy, but certainly haven't grown out to their full potential. I'm pretty sure nobody would want to buy them even at a low price. What would you do with unwanted discus if you didn't have a second tank to house them in?
    Put them on Craigslist for a reasonable price. Not everyone is looking for 8"+ "perfect" discus. Just look at the garbage most fish stores sell. I assume yours are better than the fish stores? If so, why not sell them.

Exactly what I did.I even pointed out to one of the buyers what I thought was wrong and why I was geting rid of it.But I sold them pretty cheap,and was honest,so I don't have any regrets.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Registered Member

if you selling them, pick a buyer that knows something about keeping discus. Else you could as well cull them instead of them landing on wrong hands. I just sold some of my fishes for lot less but I filtered the buyers and made sure that fishes are getting to tanks that are good for discus.

I've given away lots of fish over the years, even big boys, mainly to create tank space for new fish. Occasionally, I can sell, or trade them also. Not a huge market for Discus in my area however. Sorry to say, I've even resorted to culling a few as well. "Throwing them out in the yard" as I sometimes say. My wife doesn't think that sounds as funny as I do.
    Darrell

Registered Member

I always fulsh them down the stool. Had one that was to big to flush and after many attemps my wife made me put it back in the tank, still there a year and half later Jerry

Registered Member

Thanks for the comments folks. The fish I would say are good quality (I bought them from Discuss Madness as juvies), but I tried growing them out in a planted tank that had CO2 and ferts pumped in. The largest, a BD is maybe a bit over 6", two others are between 5" and 6", a yellow diamond who started laying eggs not too long ago I guess is capped at about 4", and a runty PB who is also small around 4".

They're all healthy and active, but I guess I've gotten to that point where I'm dieing to get a fresh group of juvies and grow them out. I think part of my hesitation towards selling/giving them away is the guilt I'd get from my wife and parents since they all really like the fish.

I wish I had another tank!!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by deepflyball View Post
    I always fulsh them down the stool. Had one that was to big to flush and after many attemps my wife made me put it back in the tank, still there a year and half later Jerry
    That's funny
    Marc

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deepflyball View Post
    Thats the craziest thing I heard all day LOL LOL......
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Was it a brown?
    Chris V.

Registered Member

Hi I am new on the site and am not looking into doing the professional breeding, etc. just want to have a beautiful tank for my grandchildren to enjoy. I would love to take them off your hands. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cevoe View Post
    Was it a brown?
    See post #8

brown based types - Alenquer, Santerem, Red Cover, Virgin Red, non pigeon blood Golden
    Steve T

chop meat, carry water

Craig's list always works

Free will be an instant give away

I can usually see getting $20

Think of it as a starter discus for someone new.
    That is much better than a pet store

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast