ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do with unwanted discus?

Registered Member

Default Re: What do you do with unwanted discus?

I farm out some of my Discus to grow out, and some give it away to friends and last donate it to our local Discus Group,
    http://badiscus.3.forumer.com/index.php

Cliff

The following is a humane way to cull your fish. Take a container Full of water and put it in the freezer, pull it out just before freezing. Put your fish in the icy-cold water! Your fish will experience an instant, humane death...(the toilet bowl rout is most unpleasant for your fish. We are all Gods creatures!!!!!

Registered Member

I understand that selective breeding is how/why there is such a variety of beautiful Discus today & why you may not want to breed any but the best to keep it that way. I do not understand why so many seem so willing to flush less than perfect fish rather than give or sell them at a appropriate price to some one who couldn't afford or didn't care if it wasn't first quality. People adopt three legged dogs & one eyed cats & enjoy them just as much as the more perfect pets, maybe more.

Just my opinion.
    Jim

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by fullmonti View Post
    I do not understand why so many seem so willing to flush less than perfect fish rather than give or sell them at a appropriate price to some one who couldn't afford or didn't care if it wasn't first quality. People adopt three legged dogs & one eyed cats & enjoy them just as much as the more perfect pets, maybe more.
    Because people that adopt three-legged dogs and one-eyed cats do not breed those animals and produce more three-legged dogs and one-eyed cats. Some discus hobbyists on the other hand will breed any junk fish that just happen to pair up... then sell or give away these low quality fish to unsuspecting newbies.

Removing culls from a selective breeding program is what "selective" means.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by T_om View Post
    Because people that adopt three-legged dogs and one-eyed cats do not breed those animals and produce more three-legged dogs and one-eyed cats. Some discus hobbyists on the other hand will breed any junk fish that just happen to pair up... then sell or give away these low quality fish to unsuspecting newbies.

Removing culls from a selective breeding program is what "selective" means.

Tom
    +1 adding there is a way to spay and neuter cats/dogs so that the responsible/reputable breeders make sure to sell on a spay/neuter contract so poor quality is not further bred. Also shelters spay/neuter and would never advise people to breed furthering their problem. I don't know of a way to alter fish.
    “Be curious, not judgmental.”- Walt Whitman

Registered Member

I agree don't breed them, just try to fine someone who would enjoy having them in their display tank. It sounds like what you guys are saying is you'd rather flush them than take a chance they may breed & enter the market later.

Obviously people are going to do what they want with unwanted fish, just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by fullmonti View Post
    It sounds like what you guys are saying is you'd rather flush them than take a chance they may breed & enter the market later.
    I can't speak for everyone but that is exactly what I, personally, am saying.

Tom

What do you do with unwanted discus?
    Sushi!

Registered Member

Wasn't Hitler a proponent of selective breeding? Some of your guys' opinions are a bit overboard. They're freaking fish. Breeding less than grade A discus isn't going to lead to the downfall of the species or hobby.

Thank goodness my mother didn't flush me down the toilet or freeze me to death for the sake of a better looking America!

Registered Member

Amen!

Wasn't Hitler a proponent of selective breeding? Some of your guys' opinions are a bit overboard. They're freaking fish. Breeding less than grade A discus isn't going to lead to the downfall of the species or hobby. <br />
    <br />
    Thank goodness my mother didn't flush me down the toilet or freeze me to death for the sake of a better looking America!
    Yes, Hitler was, as well as God, or Mother Nature what have you. In the wild, the fittest, strongest males compete to mate and the weak, slow, & deformed fry/fish get eaten. In tanks, we dont have that so its our job to help. If you take issue with selective breeding, its hard to justify cramming fish into a tank a millionth the size of their natural habitat. If it werent for selective breeding/collecting, I probably wouldnt want to own Discus. You do realize that you can order a couple pieces of fish for a few bucks at Captain D's? You cannot order humans there. Big difference. The only reason we dont eat Discus is because they taste bad. If you have issue with waste, feed them to a cat, cycle of life.Real life isnt like Nemo, the dad would probably have killed Nemo in reality :-)
    “Be curious, not judgmental.”- Walt Whitman

Registered Member

To me the thing I don't get is, some of you here would rather see a fish that you personally don't care for suffocate in a sea of poop or flop around in your front yard rather than let it live out it's days in some ones tank that would enjoy having it. You don't leave room for the possibility that someone else may truly love something you truly dislike. In that respect that kind of thinking is exactly like Hitler. Just because you think something is substandard you wont let it live some where else, you want it wiped off the face of the earth. Lets face it we are not talking about slow or weak fish, we are talking about perfectly heathy fish you personally don't care for.

I have no problem with selective breeding. I appreciate all work so many have done to come up with these beautiful fish. I just bought a bulldog Discus. I love it! I have heard some say that they hate them. They are a deformity and should be done away with. They are not slow, they are not week, they are not unhealthy. You just don't happen to like them. Funny how when a genetic variation is liked it's called selective breeding & when you happen to not like it you call it a deformity & want it killed.

There ar many flavors of ice cream for good reason. We all don't like the same things. I personally don't care for chocolate ice cream, but if I was in charge & banned it there would be a lot of unhappy people in the world.

We wont even talk about the whole blond, brunet & redhead thing!!!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greenheinie View Post
    Wasn't Hitler a proponent of selective breeding?
    Thank you for providing proof of Godwin's Law.

Tom

Tom
    HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!! no kidding!!! LOL
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Tom
    LMFAO!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast