AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do with unwanted discus?

Registered Member

Default Re: What do you do with unwanted discus?

Ha...that IS pretty funny. I never heard of that before. In this case though, I think it's a fair comparison.

Anyway, can somebody close this thread? Let's agree to disagree before things get ugly.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by T_om View Post
    Thank you for providing proof of Godwin's Law.

Tom
    Very convenient one-liner. Exactly why I didn't use that comparison first. But what about all the other points made, examples given & question ask???

What about statements made about fish should be flushed not because they are slower, weak, or unhealthy, but just because you don't like some part of their color or shape? Even though there are many, thousands in some cases of people who think their color or shape is wonderful. What about a little open minedness to the possibility that there might be more than way to look at things???

Quote Originally Posted by Greenheinie View Post
    Ha...that IS pretty funny. I never heard of that before. In this case though, I think it's a fair comparison.

Anyway, can somebody close this thread? Let's agree to disagree before things get ugly.
    why close it..?!

culling is part of the process for breeders..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

Of course culling is part of the process. If you are a breeder trying to get a bright red fish, all the babies that are a dull orange are going to become feeders. Like many things, it's not always what you say but often how you say it that offends. Comments like that breed or color or type of fish are freaks, ugly or deformities & should all be destroyed seem to narrow-minded at least. Can we leave room for the possibility that others opinions are just as valid as our own. "I personally don't care for that breed/type of fish" will work just fine. Give it a try some time.

Jim

Doesn't anyone out there care for the humaine way to cull???? I posted this humane method earlier in this thread!!

Quote Originally Posted by krislewis3 View Post
    Doesn't anyone out there care for the humaine way to cull???? I posted this humane method earlier in this thread!!
    i had to cull some small sick fish a few times..

put them in garbage disposal.. turn it on.. QUICK and FAST!
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

LOL...that was funny.

Now back to the question on hand. Anyone that breeds animals that is not in it to improve the breed needs to get out. If you are not willing to cull the crappy fish then you have become part of the problem and not the cure. Lets compare this to say puppy mills....People are always *****ing about puppy mills....but that is exactly what you are asking people to do here...its idiotic. If it is not a quality fish then kill it.

I understand where you are coming from...it is a place of ignorance. You mean well but in reality you do not have a clue. How many spawns have you raised? My guess would be zero. If I am wrong tell me.....Now go breed/raise/sale several thousand discus and then come back and post when you have some first hand knowledge on the subject.

I am not trying to be a arse but one of the problems anymore is people get on the forum and start throwing out advice/opinions that they have no clue about. I am all for educated opinions...it is the ignorant ones that bother me.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member

See above post for what I meant about closing the thread before things get ugly.

There's really no need to attack me or others and talk about ignorance and not having a clue. As a longtime member of this board, you should have a little more respect for others, and especially Al. Share your educated opinion instead of bashing others.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    LOL...that was funny.

Now back to the question on hand. Anyone that breeds animals that is not in it to improve the breed needs to get out. If you are not willing to cull the crappy fish then you have become part of the problem and not the cure. Lets compare this to say puppy mills....People are always *****ing about puppy mills....but that is exactly what you are asking people to do here...its idiotic. If it is not a quality fish then kill it.

I understand where you are coming from...it is a place of ignorance. You mean well but in reality you do not have a clue. How many spawns have you raised? My guess would be zero. If I am wrong tell me.....Now go breed/raise/sale several thousand discus and then come back and post when you have some first hand knowledge on the subject.

I am not trying to be a arse but one of the problems anymore is people get on the forum and start throwing out advice/opinions that they have no clue about. I am all for educated opinions...it is the ignorant ones that bother me.

-john
    Arse. :-p
    “Be curious, not judgmental.”- Walt Whitman

every one will handle their discus the way they want.. it just depend how dedicated you are to your principles of breeding
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

You could gift them to me!

I'm only half-joking...

Quote Originally Posted by deepflyball View Post
    I always fulsh them down the stool. Had one that was to big to flush and after many attemps my wife made me put it back in the tank, still there a year and half later Jerry
    I hope you plan on paying for a new monitor for me now....

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    i had to cull some small sick fish a few times..

put them in garbage disposal.. turn it on.. QUICK and FAST!
    Umm, ouch!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    LOL...that was funny.

-john
    I don't have to have raised a thousand spawns to have a valid opinion as to what a quality fish is "to me". One of the points I was trying to make is, it is very arrogant to think that ones own opinion is the only one that could possibly be correct. What one person would call a quality fish may not be what the next person would call a quality fish, that does not make one of them ignorant, just two different people.

Greenheinie
    You may be right. There seems little reason to continue this.

Jim

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

LOL...I did not attack anyone. I offered a diffferrent opinion then yours and stated my reasons. The fact still remains that you are lacking in experience. All that I am saying is to gain the experience and then your opinions will be more valid.

Jerry Clower use to have a saying that went something like this.......I travel all around the world and everywhere that I go someone will always come up to me and say they have a plan to make things better. And all of their plans have one thing in common....It never requires them to change anything that they are doing...

Same thing here....you don't raise discus. You don't have thousands of dollars invested in raising discus, but you want to say that it is wrong for people to cull discus of marginal quality. If it had any direct effect on you I think your opinion would change.

Also the definition of ignorance is as follows from Websters " the state or fact of being ignorant : lack of knowledge, education, or awareness ". I was not calling you dumb, it was not a personal atttack, I was simply stating that you did not have the experience to realize that any breeders goal has to be to produce the very best discus that they can. That means culling and culling heavily.

Also I did not post anything that is offensive. If you choice to be offended then that is on you. If you are going to get upset anytime someone has a different opinion then you then you might be happier if you did nto share your opinion. Less chance of you getting your feeling hurt. Now if anyone wants to keep discussing this I am all for it. I am not mad or upset with anyone. I do not take offense just because someone else has a different view then mine...in fact I like to have in depth and spirited discussions. Now we can agree to disagree, become friends, dislike each other, debate it, meet at NADA and discuss it...does not matter to me. Its up to ya'll.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast