ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Micro bubbles" even in aged water?

Registered Member

Default "Micro bubbles" even in aged water?

I use a mix of aged, circulated and heated well water and RO water. Recently no matter how many water changes I do my water looks slightly cloudy. When I look closely, I see thousands of tiny clear/white specks floating throughout the water. Upon reading through the Forum, it sounds as if I have these "micro bubbles" that some any talk about with winter water. However, the issue is primarily with people who use tap water and do not age it vs. me who uses well and RO water mix that is aged and circulated.

I also experience a dusty white film that sometimes coats the bottom of the tank, especially around any left over food particles that may be resting there. This dusty film can appear within a half an hour of feeding.

Has anyone else experienced this same type of thing? Any idea what is happening and what I should do about it? I have HOB filters, and I have cleaned the filters and sponges to no avail. My water parameters all test normal. Nitrites 0, ammonia 0, ph 8.0 (normal for my water), Nitrates 5 ppm.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Default Re: "Micro bubbles" even in aged water?

Um.. Thats it microbubbles... Mb come from expanding gases in tap water...rE
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

I am also experiencing the same issue and my discus had a sudden case of cloudy eye. I also age and use declorinate my water.

Quote Originally Posted by ariodpalm View Post
    I am also experiencing the same issue and my discus had a sudden case of cloudy eye. I also age and use declorinate my water.
    op is talking about cloudy water..

you are talking about cloudy eye.. two very different things..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Hi, is the floor looking like covered with mushrooms?
    Or it looks more like dust?

Registered Member

No, I have both. Microbubbles and cloudy eyes, that's why I said I have the same issue. I do read the entire post.

No, I have both. Microbubbles and cloudy eyes, that's why I said I have the same issue. I do read the entire post.
    micro bubble is due to gases from water line expanding once release.. aging water will take care of this..

cloudy eye
    http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/...ormation.shtml
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

I will let my water age for a little longer than 24 hrs. Thanks

aerate it also
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    I see thousands of tiny clear/white specks floating throughout the water.
    Maybe you have a magnifying glass? You should find out if they are alive or not!
    That will not help. 12 hours are enough. Even 6 hours is sufficient for partial water change.
    Upon reading through the Forum, it sounds as if I have these "micro bubbles" that some any talk about with winter water.
    These bubbles also occur in aged water, when heated, but they remain only a few minutes in the water. If bubbles remain for several hours in the water, there has to be a different reason for it. They are probably constantly produced in the aquarium, perhaps some filter drag air, because otherwise they would quickly rise to the surface and the water would become clear. If they do not rise, it is not air, but something else.
    I also experience a dusty white film that sometimes coats the bottom of the tank, especially around any left over food particles that may be resting there. This dusty film can appear within a half an hour of feeding.
    If the dust starts to settle on the ground it is certainly not a gas.
    Last edited by Ioan C.; 04-11-2012 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ioan C. View Post
    That will not help. 12 hours are enough. Even 6 hours is sufficient for partial water change.
    These bubbles also occur in aged water, when heated, but they remain only a few minutes in the water. If bubbles remain for several hours in the water, there has to be a different reason for it.
    They are probably constantly produced in the aquarium, perhaps some filter drag air, because otherwise they would quickly rise to the surface and the water would become clear. If they do not rise, it is not air, but something else.

Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Could it be because she is mixing the unfiltered well water with the RO water instead of maybe the RO waste water and the dust are particles suspended in her well water?

Quote Originally Posted by Ioan C. View Post
    These bubbles also occur in aged water, when heated, but they remain only a few minutes in the water. If bubbles remain for several hours in the water, there has to be a different reason for it.
    If they do not rise, it is not air, but something else.
    Steve T

chop meat, carry water

Quote Originally Posted by magewynd View Post
    Could it be because she is mixing the unfiltered well water with the RO water instead of maybe the RO waste water and the dust are particles suspended in her well water?
    whatever it is.. it is NOT MICRO-BUBBLES.. it is as you said.. PARTICULATES..

i don't what people to get confused on this.. maybe she should post a pic or update.. she hasn't be back on SD since March 31.. so going back and forth i guess won't help her.. if she is not here.. LOL
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Whatever you do, don't lose the shaking head posts. I was laughing so hard I could of pa$$ed *as that settled on the floor.I think on the other thread most of us were talking about tap water and Ione is using RO and doesn't have to worry about chlorine.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    whatever it is.. it is NOT MICRO-BUBBLES.. it is as you said.. PARTICULATES..

i don't what people to get confused on this.. maybe she should post a pic or update.. she hasn't be back on SD since March 31.. so going back and forth i guess won't help her.. if she is not here.. LOL
    Steve T

chop meat, carry water

Quote Originally Posted by magewynd View Post
    I think on the other thread most of us were talking about tap water and Ione is using RO and doesn't have to worry about chlorine.
    I KNOW!! then why post on the topic.. IF you don't know about it!!

he never seems to be on target or topic at hand.. i like the DISCUS PLAGUE post.. that was his first or 2nd post ever a few weeks ago, when someone had a sick discus.. LOL
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast