ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: The honeymoon suites

Real Name
    Rick

Default The honeymoon suites

This pair is sitting on a pair of wigglers that should start to go free swimming within the next 12 hours. Both parents are siblings, the result of the Ogon yellow White X ARSG cross. Be curious to see the F2's from this cross, but my primary goal was to confirm the male as this is his first spawn. The female (the snow white) has had several succesfull small spawns, but her past partners all being albino based have had issues with attachment to either parent. Hopefully this will not be an issue with her pigeon blood sibling mate.

Real Name
    Rick

Default Re: The honeymoon suites

In true mutt motel fashion, this picture is of a female virgin red with fry from two other pairings, neither of which are hers. The reason for this is that her original mate (curiperax) and her were having issues with die-offs with thier wigglers just as they hit the free swimming stage. After a step by step elimination of possible causes of the problem with the die-offs I decided to try to same pair again but switch the eggs from another pair that had spawned the same day. This pair, (a virgin red and an alenquer cross) as luck would have it, spawned the day prior to me selling them to another simply member. I also had some wigglers from a pairing of my snow white cross and an albino san marah that during this time frame were having issues attaching to thier parent, so I used a turkey baster and moved them into this tank with the brown based pair, in which the immediately attached.

After about 10 days the foster parents started fighting for control of the fry and the male was removed. This is the first time I have left the female with the offspring and not the male.

Real Name
    Rick

Here we have some more fry from the Snow White and the Albino San Marah that came from a small succesful spawn after the one mentioned above.

Real Name
    Rick

Here we have a Pair of Stendker Dark Angels from Hans that I got from Rodrigo and Bob Tools. This is a young pair that is still learning the ropes, but they have had wigglers and seem to be steadily progressing with each spawn. Perhaps this time will be succesfull.

Real Name
    Rick

And last but not least we have one last pair, That of a curipera x (male) from Kenny and one of my ARSG x Virgin Red cross (female) offspring. This will be her second spawn, both with the curi x, but the first happened in a community tank. My attempt to pull the eggs and place the curi male in with the eggs in a breeding tank was not succesfull as he ate the eggs. I am curious to see if I have the same issue with the fry dieing on the day they go free swimming like I did with the curi and the VR.

These pictures were taken just prior to them spawning. I am quite impressed with the female so far as she laid I good size group of eggs as tightely bunched as you could ask for.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    This pair is sitting on a pair of wigglers that should start to go free swimming within the next 12 hours. Both parents are siblings, the result of the Ogon yellow White X ARSG cross. Be curious to see the F2's from this cross, but my primary goal was to confirm the male as this is his first spawn. The female (the snow white) has had several succesfull small spawns, but her past partners all being albino based have had issues with attachment to either parent. Hopefully this will not be an issue with her pigeon blood sibling mate.

This male is a beautiful fish.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Matt

Nice fish. I'm partial to the ARSG x Virgin Red cross myself.

Is that a bump on the snow white's head or something? I can't tell.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Rick

Is that a bump on the snow white's head or something? I can't tell
    That is just some light reflecting off the tank, but I have to admit after I first saw the picture I had to go check myself

I too am partial to the ARSG X Virgin Red offspring. For some reason these are the hardest to capture correctly in a photograph (thus all the pictures) and are actually much nicer looking in person (deeper and more red).

Rick
    Last edited by nc0gnet0; 04-01-2012 at 09:52 AM.

Real Name
    Rick

Just a quick update, all the fry from post 1 have gone free swimming overnight, while I had nearly a 100 % hatch from the dark angel pair. Previously, the largest hatch I got from the Dark Angels was only 12 wigglers, this time I have around 200. The male is finally getting things right and making his runs. Hopefully the fry from post one will attach sometime today.

Real Name
    Rick

Just a quick update, the Stedker pair still continues to learn the ropes and has not been succesful yet. They continue to get good hatch rates but fail to have the fry attach and eat them just after they go free swimming. The ogon Yellow white x ARSG pair where having attachment problems of thier own, however they would never eat the fry they would just slowly die off from starvation due to the fact they were not attaching. However, with this last spawn I did mangae to help the free swimmers along by feeding them egg yolk powder while still in the tanks with thier parents. Eventually I did get about 30 or so free swimmers to attach to dad and they are hanging in there.

The cross between my ARSG x Virgin Red F1 and the curipra x took a few trys but mom is with a decent clutch of about 50-60 fry that are now eating BBS. Dad had to be removed as i caught him going after the fry. This cross should result in some nice looking offspring.

I also have in another tank the brother of the ARSG x VR F1 and his mother sitting on a new group of eggs. My main inntent here for now is to just confirm the male and then eventually breed the male-female siblings.

Last but not least I have yet another pair consisting of another female that resulted from the ARSG x VR cross mated with a male from a VR x Red melon cross. They are sitting on a nice clutch of eggs that are just begining to hatch. My goal here is to find out if the non pigeon blood offsring (which will be roughly 50%) will have enhanced red coloration in the body region. They should also produce 25% albino offsring.

As each of these parings progress and if/when they are succesfull they will ge their own dedicated thread. So far the (ARSG x VR) x Curipera X is the only one to do so, but it appears the pairing of the ogon yellow white x ARSG siblings might make it there with a small batch.

Rick

Rick I like what your doing here I look forward to your results keep it up good stuff!
    Dave Z!
    NADA MEMBER
    Visit my homesteader page http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...hiladelphia-PA

Real Name
    Rick

Some of the offspring from the curipeax x F1.

Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Rick

Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]