AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Why not Tubiflex

Registered Member

Question Why not Tubiflex

I have read in one of my Discus books that feeding Tubiflex worms is notrecommended for discus as they may contain parasites and heavy metals. I can maybe understand the heavy metals objection but how could any parasites survive the freeze drying process? Does anyone here feed with freeze dried Tubiflex once in a while? Thanks, McShadow

Registered Member

Default Re: Why not Tubiflex

No. There are far better, more nutritious freeze-dried foods-- like the FD blackworms Al, the forum administrator, sells online by mail through SimplyDiscus.com.
    It's Tubifex, btw.
    1250 bb pot-planted: twelve discus (six my babies), cardinal tetras, sidthimunki loaches, angelfish. 35 gallon hex tank: hospital
    40gallon grow out tank: snakeskin juvies

Quote Originally Posted by MacShadow View Post
    I have read in one of my Discus books that feeding Tubiflex worms is notrecommended for discus as they may contain parasites and heavy metals. I can maybe understand the heavy metals objection but how could any parasites survive the freeze drying process? Does anyone here feed with freeze dried Tubiflex once in a while? Thanks, McShadow
    It's an argument as to whether certain parasites can survive the FD process. Its merely the safest practice to avoid tubifex in any form. If you would like to feed them, thats your decision but as stated, there are better options.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Thanks guys, I was just curious, I have never fed them Tubiflex but sometimes when I've run low on food I have thought of it as an alternative. I just won't take the chance. MacShadow

Quote Originally Posted by MacShadow View Post
    Thanks guys, I was just curious, I have never fed them Tubiflex but sometimes when I've run low on food I have thought of it as an alternative. I just won't take the chance. MacShadow
    Its the best practice. If you havent looked it up before, check and see how tubifex worms are raised. They are basically raised in cesspools that are extremely parasite and bug infested. I'm thinking my fish need none of that.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Years ago when I had my business at a veterinary hospital I had my live CBWs delivered there. My vet wanted to see them. He said, "Those are sewer maggots!" I explained to him the difference between "sewer maggots" and black worms. That the former live in cesspools while the later require clean water. I don't think he believed me, but it's the truth.
    Mama Bear